Episode 74

RSS

Aww...I got completely lost in that Iron Man issue. I was hoping you would tell me what was going on (who was the dude who sent the Spymaster? and why?). But yeah, I didn't really enjoy that book much either after the opening sequence.

Sorry 'bout that. My goal was to read as many CW tie-ins as possible and report back so you guys don't have to spend your money (except on the good ones). But lately I have zero tolerance for crappy comics, and that was one crappy book!

Aww...I got completely lost in that Iron Man issue. I was hoping you would tell me what was going on (who was the dude who sent the Spymaster? and why?). But yeah, I didn't really enjoy that book much either after the opening sequence.

Sorry 'bout that. My goal was to read as many CW tie-ins as possible and report back so you guys don't have to spend your money (except on the good ones). But lately I have zero tolerance for crappy comics, and that was one crappy book!

I can't even read your posts anymore, Yoda.

It's nothing wrong with you...it's Donatello. He's so hypnotic.

The first time I saw the image which became my current avatar I laughed for something like five minutes straight. I thought I was going to faint. Granted, it was 3:00a and I was a little slap-happy, but, yeah... what were you saying? I lost myself in Donny over there.

Great listen once again, one thing I want to ask is about the Green Goblin side of the story. Do you think they could potentially be looking to make him into more of a good guy with the current thing of him seemingly being poisoned into doing things for a higher power? Or will they just lock him back up once they control the drugs and have done with him

then it's a shame that Baby Urich retired; are they going to do anything with Excelsior beyond that little stint in Runaway's? I'm curious mainly because I mark out for the Power Pack gal.

From Newsarama:

CB CEBULKI TALKS MARVEL's LONERS

by Vaneta Rogers

Right behind the news that Runaways is getting a new creative team comes word from Marvel that fans of the series are also getting a new spin-off series beginning in January.

Loners, written by C.B. Cebulski with art by Karl Moline, will pick up the story of "Excelsior," the support group for former teen superheroes that debuted in the "True Believers" story arc in Issues #1-6 of the current Runaways volume.

Holding meetings in a church basement, the Excelsior support group attempted to help former child heroes adjust to their new lives as normal teens. The group included Turbo of the New Warriors, former Green Goblin Phil Urich, Darkhawk, Ricochet of the Slingers, and Julie Power, also known as Lightspeed.

While the humor of self-help group members reminiscing about their past heroic adventures caught the attention of long-time fans, things really got exciting when the group was encouraged by a secret benefactor to take their mission a step further and forcibly convince other child heroes to stop as well -- including the young Runaways.

Although they didn't succeed in stopping the Runaways, the group took on some high-powered Marvel villains and found out that their secret benefactor was none other than Rick Jones, a former teen hero himself, who stood ready to continue supporting their mission. All the right elements seemed to be in place for more adventures with the teens under the leadership of Jones, but the "Excelsior" members haven't been revisited since.

But now, Marvel has obviously decided it's time for the group to continue their mission. As Cebulski visited the Baltimore Comic-Con this weekend, he took a few moments to chat with Newsarama about the new spin-off series and what fans can expect from the group of wayward superpowered teens as they begin anew in their own series.

Newsarama: They say that everything old is new again, and your name on a Runaways-associated title seems that way. Haven't you been involved with Runaways before?

C.B. Cebulski: Yep. I was the original editor on the book. I launched it with [writer Brian K.] Vaughn and have been supportive of them and everything they do. It's probably my favorite Marvel book right now. I'm a huge fan of Runaways.

NRAMA: So does that mean you pitched this story?

CBC: I pitched it originally. It was too fertile a ground to leave fallow. I thought there was something there. I just really wanted to take the characters and build on them, and Marvel agreed.

NRAMA: Are we talking about a mini-series or an ongoing?

CBC: We're doing six issues now, but if it's embraced by the fans, we're going to keep going.

NRAMA: Last time we saw the team, there were five members. Is that still the line-up for the new title?

CBC: It's the five members we saw at the end of issue #6, which are Julie Power/Lightspeed, Ricochet, Turbo, Darkhawk and Phil Urich/the ex-Green Goblin.

NRAMA: Runaways readers may also remember that Chamber was part of the group for awhile, but we found out he was actually a Runaways villain in disguise. Will his spot be taken by someone else?

CBC: He was revealed as not the real Chamber, and he's been dealt with elsewhere in the Marvel Universe now, so along the way, we're going to be introducing some new characters. But by "new characters," I mean reccurring faces from the Marvel Universe from the past -- other teen heroes that we've seen in the Marvel Universe history.

NRAMA: Will we see more of Rick Jones?

CBC: Yep. There will be some mention of Rick Jones, but as for his actual appearance, that's something I don't want to talk about just yet.

NRAMA: In their Runaways debut, the group came across as a real ragtag conglomeration of heroes who didn't really want to work with each other. Will the team still feel that way?

CBC: The way I'm looking at it as not so much a team book as an ensemble cast book. And the big influences in my life were Some Kind of Wonderful and Breakfast Club and things like that. So I'm looking at this as kind of the superhero Breakfast Club in a way.

NRAMA: Really different types of teenagers stuck together?

CBC: Yeah. You're going to have Julie Powers as the princess, Phil Urich as the geek, and Darkhawk is kind of Bender the ruffian -- you know.

NRAMA: Will they still be functioning as a support group?

CBC: It is still a superhero self-help group. Vaughn put them back in the costumes, and they were mentioned in Runaways and a few other books in the aftermath of the defeat of The Pride. However, what we're doing is putting them back in the superhero self-help group, and part of that has to do with some things that are happening in Civil War. When you open with issue #1, they're going to be back in the church basement, back in the support group, trying to deal with not getting into costume and not using their powers.

NRAMA: Not using powers? That doesn't sound like it's going to be much of a superhero book, C.B. There's going to be some action, right?

CBC: [laughs] There is plenty that goes on. Because, you know, just like an alcoholic always gets tempted by a drink, the lure of superhero powers is almost an addiction. So they're going to fight this the best they can and try not get into costume, but without giving too much away, they will surely be returning to some superhero roots. And there will be plenty of superhero action in the book. You can trust me on that.

NRAMA: Are they going to get new costumes?

CBC: The costume stuff is something I don't want to reveal too much about just yet. You will be seeing some costumes in their new roles, but I don't want to say what yet.

NRAMA: OK, let's go back to something you said earlier. This group is influenced by the events in Civil War? Is that because of the registration act or something to do with the war between heroes?

CBC: The Civil War angle gets addressed later in the series. But you know, when we open up they are back trying to stay out of costume. There are some implications from Civil War as to why they do that, but it's kind of a growing mystery that we're going to develop through the course of the series.

NRAMA: Let's talk about the group's name change. It's pretty well known that Stan Lee coined the term "Excelsior," and one can only imagine what problems might arise if Marvel used his catchphrase as the title of a comic book series. Although you've said you can't really address the old name, tell us about the new name. Why pick "Loners?"

CBC: Each of the characters is kind of a solo character. They were each on a team. Julie power left Power Pack. Ricochet left Slingers. Turbo left New Warriors. You know, they've all left their teams, so they were solo heroes and were loners. So it's kind of like these lone characters getting back together. The Loners.

NRAMA: Part of the charm of their original appearance in Runaways was the whole support group format, hearing their complaints and memories about their former lives as child superheroes. Will Marvel fans get more of that?

CBC: Sure. It's going to be a lot of fun. Especially that we're using those characters that everyone's familiar with. It's going to have a lot of appeal for long-time fans, and we're definitely trying to make it new-reader friendly too.

NRAMA: Is the appeal to new readers important?

CBC: A lot of the fans have been reading Runaways through the digests, and they don't really know a lot about the Marvel Universe. Brian and I tried to keep it contained within the Marvel Universe while sometimes tipping our hat to the long-time Marvel readers, and we're going to try to do the same thing with the Loners.

NRAMA: You mention Brian Vaughn a lot when talking about this comic.

CBC: Coming up with the concept, Brian helped me out with it. His take on the characters has been invaluable.

NRAMA: And you're working with artist Karl Moline on the series. How has that been?

CBC: I've been a fan of Karl Moline for a long time. I've always wanted to work with him. He does a really great job of capturing the essence of the teen characters. Not just in the physical look, but in their expressions and the way they move and the attitudes and clothing and stuff. So when potential artists for the book came up, he was definitely at the top of the list. And when he became available and his schedule worked out, we were just thrilled to have him.

NRAMA: How far along are you with the series so far?

CBC: We're well into it. Karl's into drawing it. We're ahead of the ball on this one. It's a lot of fun. The stuff really looks great so far.

NRAMA: Any final words about the series that you want to share with fans?

CBC: I'm just really happy that Marvel approved it. It was a surprise. And the fact that Runaways is having a spin-off book speaks volumes about the popularity of that title. The little title that could. The 2006 Harvey Award winner for Best Continuing Series from Saturday night, actually. And the Runaways fan base continues to build, and the fact that we're spinning off a series from that -- it's just a thrill for me as the original Runaways editor, and I'm just pleased to get the writing gig.

Now I just hope the fans will pick it up.

trying to think of Goblin as a hero only makes me think of that utterly fantastic Green Goblin hero from Spider-Man Unlimited. He was a great character, honest!

I could not stand Goblin as a Superhro in that show....or the show period, especially when compared to the 90s Spider-Man show which, despite some less than amazing animation, was a freaking spectacular show, for the love of God tell me there's a season set out.

Not entirely true.

From Wiki:

Only a few select episodes have been released on DVD by Disney. So far there are no plans from official release of season box sets. The DVDs that have been released are:

The Ultimate Villain Showdown released 30 April 2002 during the run of the Spider-Man movie.

Return of the Green Goblin released 29 October 2002

Daredevil vs. Spider-Man released 11 February 2003

Spider-Man vs. Doc Ock released 29 June 2004

The Venom Saga released 7 June 2005

trying to think of Goblin as a hero only makes me think of that utterly fantastic Green Goblin hero from Spider-Man Unlimited. He was a great character, honest!

I could not stand Goblin as a Superhro in that show....or the show period, especially when compared to the 90s Spider-Man show which, despite some less than amazing animation, was a freaking spectacular show, for the love of God tell me there's a season set out.

While yes, Marv did point some out, Yoda was right in his no answer

Liked the theory on Tony's big plan for Hulks return as well, I guess they will drop afew more hints if it turns out to be true. Id like it if Stark suggests banning some kind of space travel for awhile, so that Hulk couldnt get back in so to speak.

Also you mentioned the interest in what villains they will let Castle kill, the Marvel site has a Punisher hit list already setup for this actually, making note that more WILL be added to it. http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.760

Also just stumbled upon this from Marvel.com as well, an article with Chris Daniels from TNA about all things Marvel decent read http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.643