Graphic Novel Library

Sion

I have recently gotten back into reading comic books in the past year. This is due to the Fantastic show that Yoda produces and the neverending onslaught of superhero movies that are being released :D . I was looking to get some recomendations for must have TPB's and graphic novel's. I currently have the following and I am looking to expand into a library's worth:

Runaways vol 1 HC

Marvel Knights Spider-Man HC (Christmas gift)

Ultimate Spider-Man vol 1 TPB

Ultimate X-men vol 1 TPB

Asthonishing X-men Gifted TPB

Young Avengers Sidekicks TPB

Batman:The Dark Knight Returns TPB

Batman Hush:Absolute Edition (Christmas gift)

The Death of Superman TPB

Y: The last man vol 1 TPB

Y: The last man vol 2 TPB

Spawn Collection vol 1 TPB (Christmas gift)

Halo Grapic Novel (Christmas gift)

Any suggestions would greatly be apprieciated and could hopefully be used for refrence by future members.

You've got a nice library going there. Here's a list of TPBs and graphic novels I recommend:

Akira, vols. 1-6

Alias omnibus

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Batman: Nine Lives

Batman: Year One

Bone, One Volume Edition

Captain America: Winter Soldier, vols. 1-2

Daredevil, vol. 1 (hardcover; collects Daredevil, vol. 2 1-15)

Daredevil, vol. 2 (hardcover; collects Daredevil, vol. 2 26-37)

Daredevil, vol. 3 (hardcover; collects Daredevil, vol. 2 38-50)

Daredevil, vol. 4 (hardcover; collects Daredevil, vol. 2 56-65)

Daredevil, vol. 5 (hardcover; collects Daredevil, vol. 2 66-75)

Daredevil, vol. 6 (hardcover; collects Daredevil, vol. 2 16-19 and 76-81)

Daredevil Legends: The Man Without Fear

Invincible: Ultimate Collection, vols. 1-2

Maus

Preacher, vols. 1-9

Punisher: Born

Sandman, vols. 1-10

Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex, vol. 1

Sin City: A Dame To Kill For

Sin City: That Yellow Bastard

Sin City: The Big Fat Kill

Sin City: The Hard Goodbye

Spider-Man / Black Cat: The Evil That Men Do

Teen Titans, vol. 1: A Kid's Game

Teen Titans, vol. 2: Family Lost

Teen Titans, vol. 4: The Future Is Now

Transmetropolitan, vols. 0-10

The Ultimates, vol. 1

V For Vendetta

Wanted

Watchmen

Weapon X

Wolverine: Enemy of the State - The Complete Edition (hardcover; collects Wolverine 20-32)

You've got a nice library going there. Here's a list of TPBs and graphic novels I recommend:

Akira, vols. 1-6

Alias omnibus

Bone, One Volume Edition

Maus

Preacher, vols. 1-9

Sandman, vols. 1-10

The Ultimates, vol. 1

V For Vendetta

Wanted

Watchmen

Weapon X

Wolverine: Enemy of the State - The Complete Edition (hardcover; collects Wolverine 20-32)

Awsome list :D I MUST HAVE THEM ALL!!!. I'll just start off with Bone, Sandman, Invincible and hellboy. They are all reasonably priced on amazon and this way I won't break the bank :happy: your recomendations are always apprecieated. So please keep them coming.

Anything Sandman.

I'm not a huge Superman fan, but Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is a great look into the mind of Luthor, telling you why he does what he does and why he really despises Superman so much. Great psychological profile.

I'm quite the Batman enthusiast. In addition to the heretofore mentioned Arkham Asylum:

--Batman: The Long Halloween is fantastic, in my opinion (though I know others disagree). It's the story of how Two-Face came to be and all the events leading up to, and beyond, the acid scarring. I highly recommend this--I read it in two hours flat, it was THAT good.

--I'm currently reading Batman: City of Crime and so far, so good.

I'm not a huge Superman fan, but Lex Luthor: Man of Steel is a great look into the mind of Luthor, telling you why he does what he does and why he really despises Superman so much. Great psychological profile.

Absolutely!

Superman For All Seasons is another good read.

Here's four

Spider-Man: Blue

Fables vol.1: Legends in Exile

PVP Rides Again

and Hellboy: Seed of Destruction

Thanks for the suggestions. What is Spider-Man: Blue about?

Spider-Man: Blue, is a miniseries by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale.

It details the early romantic triangle Peter Parker had between Mary Jane and Gwen Stacy (Stacey?) and it

also covers Peter moving in with Harry Osborn as well.

Invincible- This Image title is a fantastic take on the comic book hero, drawing heavily on all things from Spider-man to the Justice League but at the same time putting it own twist in and making it its own. Cleanly drawn, fresh, fun, and at times dark and shocking, it is one of the best Superhero books available today.

Walking Dead- a definitive Zombie tale, following the characters through a post apocalyptic world and seeing the long term effects on them and their families.

Fray- Just because I don't push this enough. Its written by Joss Whedon, its Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The next generation. Set in the prototypical future (rich get richer, poor get poorer, flying cars) Whedon tells the story of new slayer Melaka Fray in a world that has forgotten even the myths of Vampires. Critically acclaimed and probably Joss's best comic book work, even better than Astonishing X-men. Jeph Loeb was pretty gushing in his foreword.

Watchmen- Believe the hype. Just buy it, its brilliant.

Alias- Jessica Jones, back before she was a current peripheral Avengers character, but shortly after her original stint as a peripheral Avengers character, owned and ran her own detective agency, whilst playing occasional bodyguard to Matt Murdock. Written by current Marvel kingpin Brian Michael Benis Alias is probably the best character driven short series Marvel has come up with in a long time. I'd certainly put it neck and neck with his Daredevil run, I'd even consider it a companion piece.

Hellboy- Yes, please do try seed of destruction. Hellboy is great stuff.

Invincible- This Image title is a fantastic take on the comic book hero, drawing heavily on all things from Spider-man to the Justice League but at the same time putting it own twist in and making it its own. Cleanly drawn, fresh, fun, and at times dark and shocking, it is one of the best Superhero books available today.

Walking Dead- a definitive Zombie tale, following the characters through a post apocalyptic world and seeing the long term effects on them and their families.

Fray- Just because I don't push this enough. Its written by Joss Whedon, its Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The next generation. Set in the prototypical future (rich get richer, poor get poorer, flying cars) Whedon tells the story of new slayer Melaka Fray in a world that has forgotten even the myths of Vampires. Critically acclaimed and probably Joss's best comic book work, even better than Astonishing X-men. Jeph Loeb was pretty gushing in his foreword.

Alias- Jessica Jones, back before she was a current peripheral Avengers character, but shortly after her original stint as a peripheral Avengers character, owned and ran her own detective agency, whilst playing occasional bodyguard to Matt Murdock. Written by current Marvel kingpin Brian Michael Benis Alias is probably the best character driven short series Marvel has come up with in a long time. I'd certainly put it neck and neck with his Daredevil run, I'd even consider it a companion piece.

:D Fray sounds awesome i'm definately going to give that a read. Thanks for all the suggestions and recomendations guys :bowdown:

:D Fray sounds awesome i'm definately going to give that a read. Thanks for all the suggestions and recomendations guys :bowdown:

Let me know what you think of Fray.

I got a marvelholic friend of mine the first Invincible book for christmas after I reshelved my collection and realised I have more Indy comics than Marvel now. I really must emphaise that many writers like Brian K Vaughan, Ed Brubaker or Robert Kirkman do their best work on the books they do outside the big two.

Akira, vols. 1-6

Alias omnibus

Bone, One Volume Edition

Maus

Preacher, vols. 1-9

Sandman, vols. 1-10

The Ultimates, vol. 1

V For Vendetta

Wanted

Watchmen

Weapon X

Why is there an issue break in the Daredevil TPBs?

Why is there an issue break in the Daredevil TPBs?

First I should reiterate that those are hardcovers, not TPBs. The TPBs might collect everything in order -- I don't know.

Okay, here's how the storylines break down:

#1-8: Guardian Devil by Kevin Smith, Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti

#9-11 and 13-15: Part of a Hole by David Mack and Joe Quesada

#12: Gun Play is an interlude, meant to fill the very long delay between #11 and 13.

- These are all collected in the second printing of the first Daredevil hardcover. (The first printing did not collect #12.)

#16-19: Wake Up by Brian Michael Bendis and David Mack

- This four-issue storyline is collected in the sixth volume (and not the second) for two reasons: the first being, at the time, no one knew how huge BMB was going to become. So his initial DD storyline was overlooked by many... including Marvel it seems, at least when it came to collecting it in order. The second reason is because Marvel needed more content to justify (RE: fill out) the sixth hardcover, so they finally reprinted the Bendis / Mack story in there.

#20-25: Playing to the Camera by Bob Gale, Phil Winslade and Dave Ross

- One assumes it's been kept out of the hardcovers because it's a rather forgettable story, and it doesn't quite jive (stylistically) with BMB's issues.

#26-31: Underboss by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

#32-37: Out by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

- These issues comprise the second DD hardcover because they are the first joint Daredevil work of Bendis and Maleev: history started with issue 26. By the time this hardcover went to print, everyone knew how huge Benids had become. That said, I would guess Marvel was looking for a place to reprint his first DD tale (Wake Up; 16-19) but had to wait until much later for the opportunity. Technically speaking, they could have crammed it in here, making the second volume 16 issues long (after all, volume one is 15 issues in length), but Underboss and Out flow into one another -- Wake Up would have felt a little too disjointed if placed in the same volume.

#38-40: Trial of the Century by Brian Michael Bendis, Manuel Gutierrez and Terry Dodson

#41-45: Lowlife by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

#46-50: Hardcore by Brian Michael Bendis, Alex Maleev and friends

- Like volume two, the three stories collected in volume three flow naturally from one to the next, and continue the storyline Bendis began in #26.

#51-55: Echo by David Mack

- Overall these issues are quite good, but they're nothing more than an Echo miniseries cloaked in Daredevil's title; reprinting them in one of these hardcovers would only serve to interrupt BMB's story.

#56-60: The King of Hell's Kitchen by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

#61-64: The Widow by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

#65: The Universe by Brian Michael Bendis and friends

- Picking up six months after issue #50, Bendis and Maleev return to the title to continue their amazingly epic run. These, of course, are collected in the fourth volume.

#66-70: Golden Age by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

#71-75: Decalogue by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

- The fifth hardcover: no breaks and more of the same smooth Bendis / Maleev storytelling.

#76-81: The Murdock Papers by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev

- Bendis and Maleev ended their run with issue 81, but, as mentioned above, due to not having enough material to justify a sixth hardcover, Marvel reprinted issues 16-19 (Wake Up) here.

At the end of the day, I understand why certain issues weren't reprinted, but the Daredevil fan in me would love to see every issue (of the second volume) collected in hardcover format.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. So, if there was only one TBP you could read and this question goes to all of you... which would it be? I want to start reading an entirely new TPB line. So far, it's between

The Incredible Hulk - Bruce Jones

DD - (I have the original Kevin Smith comics and thought I'd continue the line - that's why I asked).

Walking Dead

Thanks for the detailed breakdown. So, if there was only one TBP you could read and this question goes to all of you... which would it be? I want to start reading an entirely new TPB line. So far, it's between

The Incredible Hulk - Bruce Jones

DD - (I have the original Kevin Smith comics and thought I'd continue the line - that's why I asked).

Walking Dead

I got Powers Vol. 1 HC :rolleyes:

Are you talking about one TPB ever or an entire line of TPBs? If it's the former: Ultimate Spider-Man Collection. This massive book contains 40 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, and they're all stories I could read and reread again and again. Plus it's meaty enough to keep me entertained for a long, long time. If it's the latter you meant: Daredevil, without hesitation. It's the best Marvel comic right now (with X-Factor a very close second), and I find myself on the edge of my seat month in and month out. The switch from Bendis to Ed Brubaker was absolutely seamless, same with Maleev to Michael Lark

Are you talking about one TPB ever or an entire line of TPBs? If it's the former: Ultimate Spider-Man Collection. This massive book contains 40 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man, and they're all stories I could read and reread again and again. Plus it's meaty enough to keep me entertained for a long, long time. If it's the latter you meant: Daredevil, without hesitation. It's the best Marvel comic right now (with X-Factor a very close second), and I find myself on the edge of my seat month in and month out. The switch from Bendis to Ed Brubaker was absolutely seamless, same with Maleev to Michael Lark

The latter... I'll probably get the DD TPBs then. Starting with Parts of a Hole and go from there. I'd go with the HCs but for ever 1 of those I can grab 2 paperbacks.

Let me know what you think of Fray.

I got a marvelholic friend of mine the first Invincible book for christmas after I reshelved my collection and realised I have more Indy comics than Marvel now. I really must emphaise that many writers like Brian K Vaughan, Ed Brubaker or Robert Kirkman do their best work on the books they do outside the big two.

I was just curious is there just one Fray TPB or is there more?

There is only one Fray TPB. I've been meaning to grab it for a while now, but, for whatever reason, never seem to get around to it.

That's too bad it sounds like it would make a great ongoing series.

I almost hate to read it knowing the potential it had for a long-term storyline.