Star Trek XI

Missy

Check out Trailer 2

Sorry to de-theme Who week but the new trailer is officially up.

It looks great, the highlight is how uncannily Karl Urban replicated Deforrest Kelly's facial expressions. The rest of it looks cool as well, a nice change in style from the big space battles of Star Wars. It remains to be seen if its just action for the sake of it. Peggs scottish accent is a huge relief too, I was worried he wouldn't work in that role.

The kid at the start couldn't look less like Chris Pine.

I know its already been asked, but how are Romulans the villains here? The first re-encounter for decades is supposed to be Balance of Terror. I guess old Spock time-travelling is the excuse for all continuity issues in this film.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There are reports that some of TNG cast may be in the movie. They are going to be in the prequel comics for sure.

"The end of issue 4 is a cliffhanger and is going to continue in the first few minutes of the movie."

Right after that was said, another writer (or artist) said that part of the movie will take place with the Next Generation cast crew and to look out for that. Another guy on the panel gave him a quick "uh oh" look and smiled.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40297

My guess is

it's TNG cast that sends Spock back in time.

I guess from Eric Bana's lines there that the villain is a time traveller? That would explain Spock going back.

The all-but-confirmed rumors are that

Nero (the Romulan commander) goes back in time to kill Jim Kirk (Terminator-style), and TNG-era Spock follows in order to ensure Kirk's survival. Jim's father somehow foils Nero's plans, but the timeline is radically altered so that everything we know about the events in Star Trek are completely different. (That's why the Enterprise looks different) So basically, the world of Trek is the same, but events won't play out the same way they did in the TNG era.

Personally, I'm excited beyond belief about this film. It looks like it's defying the conventions that bound past Trek films and becoming something altogether more epic and real. (and this is from a fan of ALL the Trek series and films [minus The Final F***tier.])

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, this was awesome. The performances were good, the cinematography and effects were mind blowing (but not incomprehensably so like Transformers) and the story was great

because it was a straight rip of Wrath of Khan. Kobyashi Maru, distress call, old enemy of the crew attempts to take his revenge and forces them to watch, fight over planet destroying weapon and final escape from said weapons effects. There was a touch of Star Trek III rebellion and Star Trek VI alien interaction, violence & comedy, plus the crazy Romulan villain in the evil looking ship was very much like Star Trek X.

There are a lot of little details that make little sense, like Kirk landing in the same kilometer as Old Spock on the ice world, but I'll overlook that because frankly it helps keep the pace of the story going.

Oh and the dig at Enterprise? Scotty gets punishment assaignment for disintegrating Admiral Archer's Beagle in a transporter experiment? AWESOME.

Go see it.

I'm also psyched about potential sequels. I'd really like to see some mirror universe action at some point.

There are a lot of little details that make little sense, like Kirk landing in the same kilometer as Old Spock on the ice world, but I'll overlook that because frankly it helps keep the pace of the story going.

I actually read that that stuff is

a result of "the timeline trying to correct itself" after Nero screwed it up, hence why all the Original Series crew are in their old positions from the old timeline. It's a sci-fi version of "destiny." There's a deleted scene that'll be on the DVD where they mention that.

God, I'm still buzzed from Star Trek. The sheer possibilities of the franchise! They can knock out half a dozen films fighting Klingons, evil humans, genetic supermen and evil superbeings and then go straight into an alternate Next Generation. They could even bring the Borg in early. Kirk vs The Borg! They can reintroduce Saavik and

do a whole love rectangle with Uhura and Kirk.

In the final film they could bring in revamped versions of the old red uniforms! They can retell the key events of Star Trek history with big bucks and high action without skimping on the character aspect.

I'm filled with such happy happy joy joy that I'm actually a bit annoyed that my housemates are doing a small test BBQ tonight because it means I can't go straight back and watch it again. However I do intend to make Jon (who I went with last night), a man who has never sat through an entire Star Trek film, watch Wrath of Khan, and maybe follow up with First Contact at a later date.

I really enjoyed the movie. While it did give me some headaches as a fan of Star Trek, it also felt true to the spirit of Star Trek and I was impressed.

However, I do kinda feel crappy that Abrams decided to reboot continuity. Since Vulcan got destroyed and there are only about 10,000 vulcans left, any number of Vulcan characters important to the continuity are now in limbo. Mind you, I also kinda like that was the only way to go in the long run of the movies. If they do a new series at any time, then they can just say that the new timeline is just divergent rather than replacing the old one.

Re: DC20's comments on the reboot-

To be honest, after Voyager and the TNG films the previous future was sort of played out. If they decide to spin a new series off the adventures of the new film (which I doubt they will until these films end, just to ensure the franchise isn't overexposed again) then its a very good thing that its in a brand new continuity. Updating the entire concept of Star Trek is a great notion. I love TNG and DS9 as much as anyone but the style of story and the variety of characters and situations was never really updated. DS9 had the most original ideas but Voyager and Enterprise were basically retreading a lot of stuff using a very similar visual style.

In ten years when they've knocked out all the films they can from this crew they can relaunch the show and make it matter, create a very real sense of high adventure & risk that was largely absent in the later years of the previous shows. Its not like you can't go back and rewatch the old series, its just that there really isn't anywhere for those characters to go anymore, as the post-series books have demonstrated. I mean, unless Picard dies heroically I'm not interested, and frankly I prefer the idea that he grows old as an ambassador for the Federation rather than throwing his life away saving a planet of faceless nobodies (Kirk).