Star Trek XI

Missy

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Star Trek movie has a big Cloverfield reference when Uhura orders a "Slusho Mix" from the bar. Nice J.J. Abrams crossover there.

Hmm. Apparently my post was moved from the now-ancient Cloverfield thread, edited, and moved to the Star Trek thread. Very sneaky, moderators. Verrry sneaky...

I didn't realize that Slusho was so widespread; that's cool. I may have to start putting little signatures like that in all my writing.

• 1 month later...

I finally got around to seeing this movie. It was good. Not as great as I was led to believe, but good. I feel bad for old Spock being stuck in a past that's not his where his home planet is gone. A lot of it seemed like they were forcing things to fit into continuity instead of concentrating on the story. There were also a few plot holes.

Doesn't the presence of time travel render this film from being considered in continuity?

I wasn't talking about continuity of the films overall. I meant how everything unfolded, and how everyone ended up on the ship. Did we really need to see the Kobayashi Maru test? Kirk sneaks onto the ship and gets Captain within a day? Wasn't he suspended? Spock changes Uhura's assignment because he's sleeping with her? Wouldn't that go against everything he stands for?

As for plot holes, how is it that Kirk is the only one in Starfleet that can figure out the attack is the same as the one that killed his dad? Does Starfleet even keep records so they would recognize it again? Kirk wasn't even born when the first one happened, and he figured it out.

Doesn't the presence of time travel render this film from being considered in continuity?

I wasn't talking about continuity of the films overall. I meant how everything unfolded, and how everyone ended up on the ship. Did we really need to see the Kobayashi Maru test?

Kobayashi Maru was a great little reference tot he history of trek and one of the major events in Kirk's academy years. It makes sense that we'd see it, and certainly feel less forced than if he'd shown up at graduation and Bones had said "I still can't believe you got away with that whole cheating thing". They used it to set up the Kirk/Spock issue, it felt totally natural.

As for plot holes, how is it that Kirk is the only one in Starfleet that can figure out the attack is the same as the one that killed his dad? Does Starfleet even keep records so they would recognize it again? Kirk wasn't even born when the first one happened, and he figured it out.

Because heroes in films aren't heroes without achieving what others can't. Why can't Weyland Yutani figure out that trying to capture Aliens is a bad idea that never goes right?

I'll admit to a few unlikely events and coincedences but I'll forgive them because as a whole it was so much fun. It demonstrated the way forward for Trek whilst showing due reverence for the past.

I meant how everything unfolded, and how everyone ended up on the ship.

There was a line that was unfortunately cut from the movie in which "Spock Prime" (the elder Spock, as he's referred to by the writers) explained to Kirk that he believes the timeline is beginning to mend itself by forcing those same people into those same roles.

I meant how everything unfolded, and how everyone ended up on the ship.

There was a line that was unfortunately cut from the movie in which "Spock Prime" (the elder Spock, as he's referred to by the writers) explained to Kirk that he believes the timeline is beginning to mend itself by forcing those same people into those same roles.

I shudder when I hear the expression Spock Prime. It makes him sound like he's going to Vulcan nerve pinch reality.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...