Captain America #25 SPOILER

Missy

DO NOT READ THE REST OF THIS POST UNLESS YOU'VE ALREADY READ CAPTAIN AMERICA #25!

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Steve Rogers was shot to death while being brought to the courthouse.

From NYDailyNews.com:

Captain America killed!

Marvel comic book hero cut down by sniper

BY ETHAN SACKS

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Captain America is dead. The Marvel Entertainment superhero, created in 1941 as a patriotic adversary for the Nazis, is killed off in Captain America #25, which hits the stands today.

As Captain America emerges from a courthouse building, he is struck by a sniper's bullet in the shoulder and then hit again in the stomach, blood seeping out of his star-spangled costume.

His death is sure to ignite controversy in the comic book world - still reeling from Superman's death in 1993 and resurrection the following year - and even political pundits, who may see Captain America's demise as an allegory for the United States.

"It's a hell of a time for him to go. We really need him now," said co-creator Joe Simon, 93, after being informed of his brainchild's death.

Simon and artist Jack Kirby came up with the character in 1941 as an adversary for Adolf Hitler, who was more evil than any villain the pair could dream up. Since then, the patriotic hero has appeared in an estimated 210 million copies sold in 75 countries.

Not bad for an imaginary sickly kid from the lower East Side named Steve Rogers, who volunteered to be injected with Super Soldier serum during World War II.

Part of Captain America's allure was that he had no true superpowers; the serum made him an example of a human being at his utmost potential.

He could bench-press 1,100 pounds, run a mile in about a minute and outsmart any spy.

Series writer Ed Brubaker - who grew up reading Captain America comics while his father, a naval intelligence officer, was stationed on Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - said it wasn't easy to kill off the character. The 40-year-old, however, wanted to explore what the hero meant to the country in these polarized times.

"What I found is that all the really hard-core left-wing fans want Cap to be standing out on and giving speeches on the streetcorner against the Bush administration, and all the really right-wing [fans] all want him to be over in the streets of Baghdad, punching out Saddam," Brubaker said.

Comic book deaths, however, are rarely final. Marvel's archrival, DC Comics, provoked a media frenzy when it killed off Superman in 1993, only to reanimate its prize creation a year later.

Joe Quesada, 43, Marvel Entertainment's editor in chief, said he wouldn't rule out the shield-throwing champion's eventual return. But for now, the Captain's fans are in mourning.

"I was shocked. I was not expecting it," said Gerry Gladston, co-owner of Midtown Comics in Manhattan. "I'd rather they didn't kill him - but it's going to mean great sales."

There are two general ideas:

01. Winter Soldier will become the new Captain America.

02. The Punisher will become the new Captain America.

The first is obviously based on their history, and would allow the character to atone for the acts he performed while under Russian control. The second spawns from Frank's interaction with Cap's mask at the end of Civil War #7.

If Marvel hadn't just launched a new Punisher series, I'd put money on Castle donning the costume. But since it wouldn't make sense for him to act as both The Punisher and Captain America (RE: What If...?, vol. 2 #51), that idea goes straight out the window.

Bucky, however, makes more sense in that he was pretty much being groomed for the role during World War II. Despite a minor setback, that being his presumed death and later brainwashing, he's still the perfect man for the job due to his ties to the superhero and spy communities. If Marvel ever wanted to make Captain America a spy, rather than a superhero, this is the time and opportunity to do so.

Here's a thought: wasn't it in New Excalibur where Xavier tried to reform Magneto whilst the world at large thought he was dead? Maybe the same thing could happen here. Tony could take this opportunity to keep Steve in seclusion, to convince him that the world needs this right now. So we, the readers, know he's alive but everyone else thinks he dead. Could make for some interesting stories. It could also lead to Steve being Tony's secret SHIELD strategist.

... or it could all be a ruse to get Nick Fury out of hiding. There are so many possibilities which could spawn out of this moment.

I haven't read the issue yet but I caught the story posted else where and figured I should put it up here if it wasn't already.

I'd think it is more likely that Fury is the one behind it if it is a ruse. He could have Cap (rocking some kind of new duds/name) and Winter Soldier as his "army."

I do see Castle operating as Cap at some point.

This would have been such a cool ending in the civil war books. The last page of the epilogue could have been Cap with the final panel being the blood-soaked avenger.

But the real issue here--why do all the snipers in the Marvel Universe suck?

It wasn't just a sniper. He was also shot three times in the belly at close range. I won't spoil who the gunman was, but, yeah, the shoulder shot, from what I understand, wasn't meant to kill him. The bullets to the stomach were, however.

This is just a guess, but I have to wonder if they proposed the idea of killing Cap to Mark Millar in CW#7 and he said no. Millar previously stated that he's against killing major characters during events because we all know they'll be undone in a matter of months.

This isn't the end of Steve Rogers. Brubaker always has an ace up his sleeve.

Edited by Yoda

I've yet to read the issue, but after he's shot a cop screams, "Rogers is down!" Unlike Spider-Man #538, the shooting of Cap takes place in the middle of the book... or that's what I've heard. Maybe afterwards his death is announced. Hell, I've heard another book released this week contradicts events in CA#25, so I have no idea if he's dead or not.

02. The Punisher will become the new Captain America.

I do have to say that if this happens, it would make for an interesting read. It would be something else to see Captain America using extreme Punisher force on his enemies.

Spoiler ahead

Serious Spoilers, you've been warned

To build on Yoda's original post:

In Captain America #25, Steve Rogers is shot in the shoulder, chest, and stomach by a sniper on his way up the steps to Federal Court. In the ensuing crowd chaos, he is shot three times with a shotgun, and later appears to die of his injuries. It is later revealed that the plan was orchestrated by the Red Skull; the sniper was Crossbones, and Sharon Carter, under a hypnotic suggestion by Dr.Faustus, was the person who had shot Rogers in the stomach. Marvel Entertainment editor in chief Joe Quesada said, however, that a Captain America comeback wasn't impossible. The character's death came as a blow to co-creator Joe Simon, who said 'We really need him now.'"

I've skipped this thread to avoid plot point spoilers beyond the ending that my news spoiled for me tonight. Fuck the Associated Press!!!

This is bullshit. Until the news gives the medium an iota of respect as an art form they have no right spoiling major plot points hours after the book is released. I am amazing at avoiding spoilers online as I am unable to go to the LCS every week but when it's splashed across my TV screen at dinnertime its pretty unavoidable.

Do they mention the endings of movies? Do they mention who's going to die on Lost? Do they say what happens at the end of the latest piece of shit Harry potter book? No. Because these are respected forms of media. It happened when my email opened to the RSS headline when Spidey was unmasked and now this shit.

I'm fucking sick and tired of this. Where's the story on the advent of the graphic novel? How about spotlights on retailers or even local artists? Everyone knew Supes was going to die and Bats was going to have his back broken but it was RUMOURED that Cap would die.

This is pushing me closer and closer to dropping mainstream books altogether.

This is bullshit. Until the news gives the medium an iota of respect as an art form they have no right spoiling major plot points hours before the book is released. I am amazing at avoiding spoilers online as I am unable to go to the LCS every week but when it's splashed across my TV screen at dinnertime its pretty unavoidable.

Fixed it for you.

Most news sources made the announcement first thing Wednesday morning, much like the Spider-Man reveal in Civil War #2.

ultimate_captain_america.jpg

What is amusing is that the Captain America pictured in the MSNBC article is not the one who was shot in the storyline. That Captain America is from Marvel's Ultimate universes. That character is still alive.

I've noticed this in a bunch of places too. It is a little too complicated for the common public. I just nod my head and sigh.