The Code Geass Topic(Spoilers, probably)

jay15944

This topic is about Code Geass, a fairly new Anime that I just started watching. I'm up to episode 20, and i have to say, it is a must see.

The setting for the story is as follows, from Wikipedia, SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!:

On August 10th, 2010, a.t.b., the Holy Empire of Britannia overpowered Japanese forces and conquered the country with their robotic weapons, the Knightmare Frames, in less than a month. Japan lost its freedom and rights and was renamed Area 11, and the Japanese people are renamed "Elevens" and forced to survive in ghettos, while Britannians live in first-class settlements. Rebel elements persist, however, as pockets of Japanese organizations struggle against the Empire for the independence of Japan.

After his father, the Emperor of Britannia, did nothing to pursue the terrorists who murdered his mother and crippled his sister, a young boy named Lelouch vowed to destroy Britannia. Seven years later in Area 11, he encounters a mysterious girl who gives him the power of the Geass. With it, he finally has the power that he needs to defeat Britannia and fulfill his two wishes: to seek revenge for his mother and to construct a world in which his beloved sister can live happily.

The story goes far beyond that simple setting, the amount of political twists and personal relationships is staggering, and yet it never feels like that. Everything happens a reasonable pace, and nothing feels forced. It is SO well done, and the characters designs are quite good as well, and their progression throughout the series is very well done. I reccomend this for anyone, and will probably write a review for the hell of it when I'm done with it.

Beyond the story and the character designs, the visuals are astounding, very well done as well. And the soundtrack is great as well. Even the Pizza Hut advertising is well done, and even adds a bit to one of the characters >_>

Spoilers for my review:

10/10, HIGHLY RECCOMENDED.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I'm done with what seems to be the first "season" (through Episode 23). Review in Spoiler tags cuz I'm nice. My opinion is that it's good, but I doubt it'll have that much impact for me. Something along the lines of Vandread for me. Except the humor in Vandread is much better, but its a more lighthearted show.

What's good:

The plot twists. Everytime you think you have this show pegged down, it surprises you.

The mecha. Yeah, I'm a sucker for a good mecha anime. And Gawain is THE SHIT.

Karen. The only worthwhile supporting character in the whole bunch (except for MAYBE Count Lloyd, who's comic relief is much needed), though Ougi is getting better now that the Brittanian with amnesia is with him (well, I guess not anymore).

What's bad:

As if C.C. wasn't already underdeveloped, we get another version of her? WHAT?

The plot twists just start getting out of control. Everybody's on an island now, with thought elevators! Huh?

Suzaku. Sigh. After one season of the show, I should be able to explain why one of the main characters does what he/she does. I can't with Suzaku. Maybe there's some sort of Japanese thing that gets lost in translation, but everything about him to me screams misguided in every way. He's doing the wrong thing for the wrong reasons.

The character design. It's way too obvious this is a Sunrise anime. Sorry, but half these characters could walk into Gundam SEED and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It's not bad, just uninspired and unorginal.

Just how big is the royal family anyways?