Spider-Man 4

Missy

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doc Connors has a piece of Venom which could become Carnage, but he certainly wasn't in the film. If anything, the suit sort of looked liked Carnage when it was detached from Eddie at the end, but that's stretching it.

I forgot to mention Stan Lee. I love the man and he is almost single-handedly responsible for who I am today but that was shameful. This movie did not need any more disjointing. That was awful. I can't remember groaning out loud like that in a theatre for so long.

I really think that Raimi was sick and tired of the series in this movie. It was almost a "fuck you." The more I think about it the more I think it sucked.

• 1 month later...

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/15...625/story.jhtml

Sam Raimi May Not Helm 'Spider-Man 4'; Wants Electro, Vulture As Villains If He Does

WESTWOOD, California — As of this week, "Spider-Man 3" is the 11th-highest-grossing film worldwide of all time — and like its web-headed hero, it's still climbing. The fans have spoken, the critics have been silenced and there's plenty more Peter Parker to come.

But in his first post-"Spidey 3" interview, series director Sam Raimi went out of his way to leave the door open for someone else to take the reins.

"Sony Pictures is going to be making many more 'Spider-Man' pictures," Raimi told MTV News Friday night. "I just don't know what [my] future holds yet."

In Los Angeles to honor young filmmakers whose Spidey spoofs won a contest sponsored by Target, Raimi admitted that the collection of eager-eyed directors reminded him of "better-looking, smarter versions of myself." With several of the winners' speeches referencing Raimi's '80s career of low-budget flicks like "Crimewave" and the "Evil Dead" movies, it was hard not to appreciate that Raimi had ascended to the opposite end of the spectrum.

But from what he told us after the ceremony, it sounds like the filmmaker is setting the stage to bow out while he's on top. "If I can't find the right story that would work for me and that I could tell really well, I would like someone else to tell that story," he said of the already-announced "Spider-Man 4."

Amending his statement, he added, "But if it's a great story and Sony will bring me back to the screen, I would love to."

Indeed, it might be Sony that ultimately chooses to end the partnership, which could be a result of Raimi's still-standing pact with Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst that either they all return or none of them does (see "Kirsten Dunst On Singing, Spidey's Future, 'Idol' — And Having Eight Kids?"). "It would be really hard for me to make a movie without Tobey and Kirsten playing the two leads," he said. "I would seriously think about James [Franco] too, but he bit the dust in this last one."

Ultimately, if Sony considers the price tag too high for another Raimi/Maguire/Dunst collaboration, then the negotiations would turn to keeping Raimi onboard as a producer only. "I would still hope that Sony would offer it to me [to direct] first," he said. "But that is not my place to say; it would be more about if Sony decided not to go with me. If not, it would be really up to them to come to a solution [for me to still be involved as a producer]."

Either way, if this tangled web does still involve the filmmaker, Raimi has been busy brainstorming about the villains he'd like to get into the next flick. "I would love to see Electro, Vulture, maybe the Sinister Six as a team," he said.

Those three possibilities wouldn't necessarily cancel each other out. Since both were founding members of the Six, the Soviet supervillain and high-flying supergenius could appear in the next flick, be teamed with a returning Doctor Octopus and Sandman and form a supergroup to also introduce Mysterio and Kraven the Hunter.

Whether that story line works out or not, Raimi hopes to finally reward Dylan Baker's patience with a villainous payoff similar to what Franco enjoyed in "3." "I love Dylan Baker as a person, and I really like the character he is developing," the filmmaker said of Dr. Curt Connors, Parker's one-armed, screen-time-challenged professor in the first three flicks.

"The Lizard is probably one of my favorite characters," he said of the baddie Connors eventually became in the comics. (He joined the Sinister Six when they became the Sinister Twelve, by the way.) "But ['Spider-Man 4'] will probably have to start with the central journey of the main character to arrive at the proper villain."

Regardless of the future, the present "Spider-Man" universe is still being overseen by the affable filmmaker. Appearing at the Friday event with series producers Avi Arad and Grant Curtis to kick off this year's Los Angeles Film Festival, Raimi handed the top prize to boisterous Minnesota filmmaker Justin Marshall, who won with a stop-motion action-figure short called "Rise of the Super Venom, Part 1."

"These filmmakers show a tremendous amount of promise," said Raimi, who judged the contest alongside his "Spidey" producers. "They have a lot of craftsmanship skills that are very developed for their early ages. They have a good sense of presentation, camera angle, oftentimes good pace, and they know how to put a soundtrack together. I thought it was very impressive."

After the awards were handed out, Raimi spent a very generous amount of time posing for photos, signing autographs and having individual conversations with Marshall and the runners-up. As the winners milked him for advice, Raimi spoke to every single person who approached (and he didn't even realize that a reporter was watching from a few feet away!).

"It's great having the Los Angeles Film Festival as a meeting ground where young filmmakers can meet other artists and share their ideas and other resources," Raimi said, moments after posing for his umpteenth picture. "I don't think there was ever anything like this, especially when I was in the early years of my career."

• 10 months later...
Cinematical just received a tasty little scoop from one of our trusty top secret super delegate Hollywood insiders, and it's purty interesting (all you Spidey fans might want to listen up): Apparently, in the last few weeks, James Vanderbilt (Zodiac) has turned in a working draft of Spider-Man 4 to the studio. However, according to our source, "his story arc has encompassed two films, making Spider-Man 5 shootable at the same time. The studio saw dollar signs and is in the process of reworking his deal to snatch up the story arc."

Right now we have no word on what that arc is or where Vanderbilt is taking his script, but it's interesting to know that they're looking to spread the next Spidey storyline across two films, instead of shooting one more and taking it from there. Obviously Sony has wiped away the bad buzz from Spidey 3 and is interested in stretching this franchise as far as they can. After three flicks, I can't see Sam Raimi, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst returning to shoot two Spider-Man films together (would be a lot to take on), but you never know. In the meantime, here's what we know: Looks like Vanderbilt is writing Spider-Man 4 and Spider-Man 5, and the studio might look to shoot both flicks at the same time. As of right now, the studio has no comment. We'll update this post should we hear more ...

http://www.cinematical.com/2008/05/16/scoo...-the-same-time/

I wonder if the success of Iron Man might make them a little worried that Marvel might want to take the Spider-Man franchise and make it themselves. I know a lot of fans are wanting that to happen.

I would like to see a complete reboot with an all new cast. The only one I would miss is J.K. Simmons.

I agree, he was fantastic as JJ, stole every scene he was in. I can still see the bit where he mimes hanging up the phone when he's told his wife is on the phone. Cracks me up everytime.

• 2 weeks later...

Latinoreview says that Tobey Maguire is out of the Spider-Man films.

El Mayimbe here with a HUGE SCOOP to start off the week.

It seems like Spider Man 4 and 5 is going full steam ahead.

Over the Holiday weekend, Kellvin got a tip from a trusted source as to whom may be the next Peter Parker/Spider Man in the upcoming films. Because my batting average has been pretty good lately, Kelvin and I decided to sit on it until Hollywood went back to work today and I can get more concrete info. This morning, I made some calls to my guys, fished around and here is what I managed to find out.

Laura Ziskin and Grant Curtis are tossing names around. NO OFFERS HAVE BEEN YET. That being said, the name at the top of their list to replace Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker/Spiderman is…

…PATRICK FUGIT.

You may recognize Patrick from SPUN, WRISTCUTTERS and his breakout performance in ALMOST FAMOUS.

My personal thoughts? Fugit looks like Peter Parker to me.

I also managed to find out that if Fugit doesn’t work out, the Spiderman producers ARE EVEN WILLING TO GO YOUNGER.

Who is the name on that list?

MICHAEL ANGARANO

Michael actually played a superhero in SKY HIGH and was most recently seen FORBIDDEN KINGDOM. Michael even auditioned for the postponed Justice League film.

You know that Fugit and Angarano played the same character in ALMOST FAMOUS? Angarano played the younger version of William in ALMOST FAMOUS while Fugit played the older version.

So what do guys think?

Stay tuned as more develops.

In the meantime, you guys can follow my updates on TWITTER.

HASTA EL PROXIMO CAPITULO…

…YO SOY EL MAYIMBE!

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/who-might...spider-man-4726

Fugit is good by me.

I have no idea who he is, but I enjoy snickering every time I read his name.

I looked at the picture that is in the link and that wouldn't be a bad casting choice. In fact the other choice would be good to keep on board for films after Fugit is done.

But my question is, will this be a continuation or a reboot? I think he looks close enough to Tobey MaGuire to be a sequel. They should have rebooted Superman, when they made Superman Returns and they didn't. They don't need to reboot the Spider-Man films, but they probably will. Hollywood has no brains.

Whilst I'd prefer Maguire to stay on, Fugit bears a passing resemblance to him and I wouldn't mind him being the replacement on that basis. Remains to be seen if he has the acting chops though.

I haven't seen him in a whole lot, but he was very good in Almost Famous.

ComingSoon.net/Superhero Hype! talked to "Spider-Man" franchise director Sam Raimi this week and got his thoughts on making more sequels.

"James Vanderbilt is writing the script and I'm excited to read it. I think it's going to be done in a few months," Raimi told us, adding, "I'm hoping it's as great as our discussions were about it and I'm hoping it feels right for me because I love Spider-Man. I'm hoping I'm well rested enough to embrace it and I'm hoping Sony wants me to do it. If all of those things come together, I would love to do it. There are a lot of unknowns about the future."

And how does he feel about re-casting key players if needed? "I'd hate to re-cast anybody in the future, I can't imagine that."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45727

• 3 weeks later...
The Los Angeles Times reports that "Spider-Man" franchise producer Laura Ziskin said the fourth installment is tentatively scheduled to hit theaters in May 2011.

Already scheduled for the month of May that year are Marvel's own The First Avenger: Captain America on the 6th and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II.

Ziskin added that the screenplay is not finished yet, but that she and Sony Pictures were hopeful Spider-Man 4 could be ready in three years' time.

Neither star Tobey Maguire nor director Sam Raimi is yet committed to work on the next installment, but Sony has paid Marvel to renew its rights.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainm...r-man-4-ai.html

Somebody is going to have to move their date, and I bet it's Spider-Man 4. If all 3 of those movies come out in the same week they are going to kill each others receipts.

I enjoyed Spider-Man 3, but what made it less than perfect(especially after how good part 2 was)was the fact that Sam Raimi and the writers had too many characters in the film. Gwen Stacey(who in retrospect should have been in part 1)had almost no time on the screen, Harry Osbourne should have been saved for his own film(or at least as a secondary villain, not third), Venom had very little screen time and wasn't handled well(especially considering the actual origin in the comics). Sandman was used to point out a lesson Spider-Man had to learn, I thought that was a horrible way to use a villain like Sandman. The actors themselves were pretty good in the roles. It's just that the film wasn't long enough and the characters weren't developed well. This was the same problem for X-Men: The Last Stand--Too many characters, too short of film.

Now seeing that this is a Spidey 4 forum, here are my thoughts on how it should be handled if Raimi, MaGuire and Dunst return. First give us Maximum Carnage and The Lizard. Bring back Gwen Stacey and help develop her character more. Don't weigh the film on the realtionship between Peter and MJ, only go to it at times. Hey what about The Kingpin as a villain who attempts to use the anger Carnage has for Spider-Man(with Michael Clarke Duncan playing the part for a 3rd time)to use him for his advantage.

Also since Marvel is now crossing characters over into other Marvel based films, have The Punisher show up at the end as a cliffhanger(most unlikely since The Punisher is too dark of a character to be in a Spidey film) or Tony Stark(in a way he did in The Incredible Hulk)to recruit Spider-Man for The Avengers.