Spider-Man 4

Missy

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main problem with Sam Raimi is that he only seems to want to do (or know how to handle) the "classic" Spidey villains.

The Vulture? Seriously? How is that cool?

And they're going back to that horrible plot idea where Sandman "accidentally" killed Uncle Ben, thus negating Peter's personal experience of power and responsibility? Eeeesh.

At this point, I really think I'd be okay with every single superhero film franchise - with the exception of Iron Man - just starting over.

I concur with this statement.

X-Men: Needs a reboot (and apparently is getting one)

Spider-Man: Needs a reboot

Hulk: Ehhh... could go either way, though it's not like the continuity of the Hulk films really matters

Iron Man: Hell no, keep it the way it is.

Superman: Needs a reboot, and apparently will get one someday in the future.

Batman: I'm not all that emotionally tied to the Nolan films, though I'd like to see a good third act for the film series before it goes away.

Now that it's been tied into the upcoming Avengers movie, it kinda does.

But I doubt that the events of The Incredible Hulk will actually matter to The Avengers. They might not even have Edward Norton back.

(though it certainly would be cool if they kept Norton)

EDIT: *facepalm* I forgot about that whole super-soldier serum subplot in The Incredible Hulk. Forget my above statements.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been confirmed that the movie is on hiatus due to script problems.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/01/confirmed-spidey-4-on-hol.php

Really, I'm close to just not giving a flying fuck about Spider-Man movies anymore.

Raimi supposedly wants John Malkovich to play the villain, the Vulture, but Finke adds that "it's now unlikely Anne Hathaway will be cast" as another female villain.

Him, or Ben Kingsley would be nice.

Whats the difference between "stop making films" and "on hiatus"... from a legal point of view?

Is this how networks shelve certain starts, giving them cushy contracts with no shows, just so they won't go to a rival network?

Hiatus just means it's put on hold. Sometimes it never gets made, but not in this case. It will resume as soon as they stop fighting over the script. In TV, networks buy the pilot, and if they like it, a certain number of episodes so there is no chance of one switching to a rival network unless they decide not to renew the contract.

There are exceptions when it comes to the big names. They are put under contract to make a certain number of shows for a network.

Malkovich was interviewed by an Italian sports show called "Quelli Che il Calcio" and he was asked not only about whether he had been approached to play the Vulture but also about the production delays. The fine folks at the Italian web site Bad Taste have graciously provided an English summation of what was said on the show:

"When conductor Simona Ventura asked him about his role of Vulture in the movie, he not only didn't deny his involvement, but confirmed that he's waiting for the final script to be sent to him, and that the movie has been delayed. He also hopes that shooting will begin as soon as possible."

http://superherohype.com/news/spider-mannews.php?id=8971

It is official...there will be NO Spider-Man 4. Ever.

Screw all that having the characters grow and develop over time, let's just go back and reboot, so we can make the same damn movie all over again...for 2012. My interest is seeing another Spider-Man movie went from "I hope the studio doesn't fuck with Raimi again" down to "Unless someone other than a studio hack that will do what he or she is told is hired to make this (which is so unlikely as to be utterly impossible) then I will be seeing this only if the Lizard is the villain." (Again, unlikely to the point of its almost being impossible.)