Spider-Man 4

Missy

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope "all new cast" is code for "all new cast except for J.K. Simmons."

This, His added scenes in Spiderman 2.5 made it even better than what the original print! I only hope they get someone attractive for MJ at this point, I can't stand James Franco, and am I the only one who thought Tobey was a bad spiderman? He was a whiney prickish baby, and when he tried to put some humor into spidey, it felt forced. The best thing to come out of the Raimi trilogy is this

From Sony's Twitter feed:

Spider-Man: Summer 2012: Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012.

Finally. I mean, really. I always thought that jumping straight into college was a bad idea. They totally skipped a whole bunch of great stories they could tell. Hopefully they'll go the Ultimate route. (Apparently you and I are at odds, Miss Venneh.)

The best news I've heard in awhile. This is exactly what should have happened.

Culver City, CA (January 11, 2010) -- Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012.

Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.

The new chapter in the Spider-Man franchise produced by Columbia, Marvel Studios and Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin, will have a new cast and filmmaking team. Spider-Man 4 was to have been released in 2011, but had not yet gone into production.

“A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire and together we made three Spider-Man films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the box-office and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise. Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We’re very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning,” said Amy Pascal, co-chairman of Sony Pictures Entertainment.

“Working on the Spider-Man movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job,” said Sam Raimi.

“We have had a once-in-a-lifetime collaboration and friendship with Sam and Tobey and they have given us their best for the better part of the last decade. This is a bittersweet moment for us because while it is hard to imagine Spider-Man in anyone else’s hands, I know that this was a day that was inevitable,” said Matt Tolmach, president of Columbia Pictures, who has served as the studio’s chief production executive since the beginning of the franchise. “Now everything begins anew, and that’s got us all tremendously excited about what comes next. Under the continuing supervision of Avi and Laura, we have a clear vision for the future of Spider-Man and can’t wait to share this exciting new direction with audiences in 2012.”

"Spider-Man will always be an important franchise for Sony Pictures and a fresh start like this is a responsibility that we all take very seriously," said Michael Lynton, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures. "We have always believed that story comes first and story guides the direction of these films and as we move onto the next chapter, we will stay true to that principle and will do so with the highest respect for the source material and the fans and moviegoers who deserve nothing but the best when it comes to bringing these stories and characters to life on the big screen."

I couldn't tell you why I'm so against the Ultimate U. All I've seen of it has been what's happened to it in the last year (which was mostly Ultimatum-influenced, though I did like the last Spidey Ultimatum).

Also, I hate my brain. Because the first thing that came into my head when I saw reboot?

One More Day.

*shoots self*

"Hey, Satan, I kinda smacked my fiancee, mind rewinding time a little so I can, like not do that?"

"Sure, but I can only rewind you to high school."

"Why?"

"Sony is too cheap to re-hire Tobey McGuire. So, they were pretty specific about you going back to High School."

"Who?"

"Nothing. Satan powers activate!"

"Hey, Satan, I kinda smacked my fiancee, mind rewinding time a little so I can, like not do that?"

"Sure, but I can only rewind you to high school."

"Why?"

"Sony is too cheap to re-hire Tobey McGuire. So, they were pretty specific about you going back to High School."

"Who?"

"Nothing. Satan powers activate!"

*SAILOR MOON TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE! WITH HELLFIRE~*

Also, I nominate this for POTD.

All I've seen of it has been what's happened to it in the last year (which was mostly Ultimatum-influenced, though I did like the last Spidey Ultimatum).

That is a CRIME! The Ultimate U hasn't been good in the last two years or so, maybe more.

Do yourself a MASSIVE favor and go read the first couple story arcs in Ultimate Spider-Man. The first four arcs in that series are probably some of my favorite stories of all time. Like, seriously. Not reading the beginnings of Ultimate Spider-Man is worse than reading One More Day.

Yes the Ultimate Spider-man trades are awesome and consistently good. Although you wouldn't want to pick it up at MSRP price considering there are 21 volumes. I would say read the first volume and if you like it, than pick up a lot from e-bay. You could get a good 15 tpbs of Ultimate Spider-man for around 60 bucks.

I echo Koete's recomendation of vol. 7 and vol. 12, I never made it to too far beyond that though. I also particularly like the Carnage arc. But seriously if you can, read it from the beginning. It's very consistent and even the bad issues are better than anything in Amazing Spider-man, including the J. Michael Stracinsyki stuff, yeah I said it. His stuff was overrated. (Mind you, I did like his first arc or two but after that, blegh).

Kinda great news. I'm not exactly for the teen action adventure genre but Spider-man is the property where its an undeniable fit. Plus the new ones can go with the proper names, they can call the first movie The Amazing Spider-man. Get Bendis to script it and sketch out a trilogy and I think you're home free, especially if you can create good effects instead of the (in retrospect) rubbish that the first film had.

Just don't cast Michael Cera. I'm fine with him in Scott Pilgrim, he doesn't need this.

The only thing about this that would not make me angry would be if Marvel Studios was doing the film, they aren't.. so foul-foul-filth-and-foul and they can go suck some filth while dropping some foul. As much as his childish and attention craving digs at fandom irk me, Devin at CHUD pretty much says what bothers me so much about why this really happened. Going back to high school is probably code for SONY going all Twilight with the series. Something that does not interest me, at all. Excuse me for being a cranky middle aged father of a teenager, but I don't give a shit about High School and what goes on there.

The only thing about this that would not make me angry would be if Marvel Studios was doing the film, they aren't.. so foul-foul-filth-and-foul and they can go suck some filth while dropping some foul. As much as his childish and attention craving digs at fandom irk me, Devin at CHUD pretty much says what bothers me so much about why this really happened. Going back to high school is probably code for SONY going all Twilight with the series. Something that does not interest me, at all. Excuse me for being a cranky middle aged father of a teenager, but I don't give a shit about High School and what goes on there.

Then why give a shit about Spider-Man. His most iconic stories took place when he was in high school and it's where he belongs frankly. It doesn't mean going all "Twilight" with the series. It means going back to why the character matters.

I hope "all new cast" is code for "all new cast except for J.K. Simmons."

This, His added scenes in Spiderman 2.5 made it even better than what the original print! I only hope they get someone attractive for MJ at this point, I can't stand James Franco, and am I the only one who thought Tobey was a bad spiderman? He was a whiney prickish baby, and when he tried to put some humor into spidey, it felt forced. The best thing to come out of the Raimi trilogy is this

Yes, just you.

I ask this, as a non-comics reader: do Marvel/Sony see Spidey as solely a college-age superhero who has no intrinsic value once he becomes a young adult? In the same way that it's being used to prolong the X-Men franchise, I'm not entirely in favour of this direction. The difference between the two is that the X-Men have yet to be depicted as young members of the Xavier Academy whilst we have seen college age Parker/Harry/MJ already.

So we're in reboot/requel territory again. Yay. I can see WHY Sony are doing it, but it's slightly more puzzling that Spider-Man 4 got dropped so quickly in that the original trilogy were the three highest grossing CBMs of their time before The Dark Knight came along.