Spider-Man 4

Missy

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ain't it Cool News is talking about 2 things.

1. James Cameron once expressed interest in Spiderman. Is this true? If it is, they are suggesting that Marvel/Sony should call him and ask him, what could it hurt.

2. Raimi next project will more than likely be his World of Warcraft movie, which could be interesting. Army of Darkness anyone :)

1. James Cameron once expressed interest in Spiderman. Is this true? If it is, they are suggesting that Marvel/Sony should call him and ask him, what could it hurt.

Cameron had been developing a Spider-Man film back in the 90s, I believe.

Cameron had been developing a Spider-Man film back in the 90s, I believe.

Truth.

Sandman and Electro were the villains, which is why Sandman never showed up in the 94 animated series, and Electro didn't show until the show's run was nearly complete.

Hollywood has already started the "Reboot" wagon. I for one hate it when they do this, they aren't getting the financial success that first few comic book based films gave them, so they give up and start over again. They did it to Batman, The Incredible Hulk, now Superman and Spider-Man. Lazy way for Hollywood to hide the fact they are running out of ideas(another origin film means they don't have to think of new stories).

But Incredible Hulk and Superman Returns didn't retell their origin stories, and they didn't reboot everything either. Both picked up off of earlier movies, but changed certain details to suit the kind of story they wanted to tell, which is totally fine by me. That's probably what they'll do with Spiderman. I don’t think they’ll want to retell his origins, they’ll just take him back to high school and expect that you already know the basics.

And are you honestly angry that they restarted Batman? I'm glad that they ignored the earlier films and just started fresh.

I'm glad when they do reboots. Its like they recognise that they didn't do something justice the first time around, so they want to fulfil its potential. I can't think of a reboot or proposed reboot that I'm against, at least in comic book movies. I'd have been against it for Daredevil, but then Elektra came along and put me off continuing down that road.

I think it depends on a case by case basis.

Batman? Absolutely the right idea to reboot the franchise, and because no extensive focus was placed on how Bruce Wayne became Batman in the 89 film, the subject matter was ripe to be re-told some 16 years later.

Hulk? If they hadn't shown Norton's Banner having his radiation accident (key word being shown - he could still refer to it) then I could by it as a sequel with a cast/tone overall. As it did show the accident, it's technically a requel, which I don't think shows as much respect to its flawed predecessor.

Superman? Oh boy. Part requel, part clusterfuck. This franchise NEEDS rebooting.

Fantastic 4 (as is being rumoured)? I thought the original cast could feasibly cap off their own trilogy of mildly inoffensive superhero action. I don't think the franchise needs a full-out origins reboot, but it could cope with a cast change, methinks.

Spider-Man? It doesn't NEED a reboot, but it's getting one.

I dunno, Michael Chiklis was a damn fine Ben, and Chris Evans was a bit rough in the first movie, but steadily improved. Plus you know, Doug Jones/Lawrence Fishburne as the Surfer. There have been way worse comic book movies.

Agreed on the casting, but the direction was just dishwater, and the scripts just bleh. They were just relentlessly mediocre films. All the vision and imagination that went into Spider-man and the X-men films and building their surrounding universes and then there was this, which seemed to be placed in random movie-ville. Nothing about it felt special or unique at all, and if ever a film franchise had to feel larger than life and understanding it was the FF.

Batman Begins was a great reboot, it re-established the Batman character and told us a story we were only briefly told of in previous incarnations. The Incredible Hulk could have been bought in as a different toned sequel, but with the credit origin sequence it is obvious that its a reboot. The Incredible Hulk was an improvement over The Hulk, but not by much. When I say Superman being rebooted, I mean the reboot they are going for(which now has to be rushed by 2011). Superman Returns was not a reboot, it was a sequel. In my opinion it should have started over again anyway, because of the 19 year gap since the last film. Spider-Man should not rebooted, I mean Spider-Man 3 had a lot of problems with it, but it had established characters and had a story line being built up. Now I hate it when they make a sequel with a new set of actors, but in this case it would have been alright, if it meant we were continuing the story instead of restarting.

Look at the The Punisher as another example of reboots gone crazy. The original Dolph Lundgren film was awesome, the remake with Thomas Jane was a lucky shot for them, but than we got The Punisher: War Zone, what the hell?

Batman Begins was a great reboot

Look at the The Punisher as another example of reboots gone crazy. The original Dolph Lundgren film was awesome, the remake with Thomas Jane was a lucky shot for them, but than we got The Punisher: War Zone, what the hell?

These two do not compute. Calling BB "great" while calling the first Punisher film "awesome" does nothing but destroy the credibility of your opinion to me.

I dunno, Michael Chiklis was a damn fine Ben, and Chris Evans was a bit rough in the first movie, but steadily improved. Plus you know, Doug Jones/Lawrence Fishburne as the Surfer. There have been way worse comic book movies.

The first movie was a television pilot on steroids but RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER was light-years ahead of the first one. It was just so refreshing to see a superhero movie where the superheroes were having fun with their powers and being superheroes. Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis hit the perfect notes in the Ben/Johnny relationship. The only thing wrong with the story was plugging Doctor Doom into it. The writers shoulda had the general played by Andre Braugher steal The Surfer's power and go nutso.

It was just so refreshing to see a superhero movie where the superheroes were having fun with their powers and being superheroes.

You mean having Bachelor parties? And a Sue Storm that was nearly Smallville-Lana-Lang-level passive-aggressive? Yeah, that stuff sunk the film for me. Not a great superhero story, and a frustrating personal story.

To be fair, Cameron's storyline is not a drastic reach from Sam Raimi's 2002 Spider-Man. But it is edgier. Cameron's Peter Parker steals, kills a criminal (albeit accidentally) and not only does he kiss love interest Mary Jane, he has sex with her. On top of the Brooklyn Bridge

Isn't that the bridge Gwen Stacey died on in the comics?

To be fair, Cameron's storyline is not a drastic reach from Sam Raimi's 2002 Spider-Man. But it is edgier. Cameron's Peter Parker steals, kills a criminal (albeit accidentally) and not only does he kiss love interest Mary Jane, he has sex with her. On top of the Brooklyn Bridge

Isn't that the bridge Gwen Stacey died on in the comics?

"Hey, wanna do it where your old girlfriend died?" "Sure."

If I remember correctly, that was in the first act also. I've got the script somewhere if anyone wants to read it.

If I remember correctly, that was in the first act also. I've got the script somewhere if anyone wants to read it.

To bad that didn't happen, Kirsten Dunst could have gotten cancer from his radioactive semen and killed off.