Spider-Man 4

Missy

Evil Peter was the best thing about Spidey III. He was freakin' awesome, almost a call back to those classic Superman issues where he's being a dick to everyone.

Fuck it, its about £3 now, I'm buying that film. Evil Peter makes it worth it.

That's like saying bleeding from your pores is the best thing about Ebola.

Raimi is overrated at best and needs to rein himself in. Studio involvement or not, the sheer over-the-top nature of half of that movie is his fault. It's not like they locked him out of the editing room.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raimi is overrated at best and needs to rein himself in. Studio involvement or not, the sheer over-the-top nature of half of that movie is his fault. It's not like they locked him out of the editing room.

Actually, Raimi has said that he really didn't have much creative control over Spidey 3, and that the studios had way too much say in what went into the film. Now he's looking to get a better deal for the next film, where he has creative control.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/967/967006p1.html

In an interview with British magazine Empire, Sam Raimi said he would demand complete control over the next Spider-Man film after the narrative problems affecting the previous installment.

He said: "They really gave me a tremendous amount of control on the first two films, actually. But then there were different opinions on the third film and I didn't really have creative control, so to speak."

It was rumored at the time that producers (including Marvel supremo Avi Arad) insisted on Venom's last minute inclusion in the movie.

Many felt the Venom storyline hurt Spider-Man 3.

So his approach for Spider-Man 4 would be to block out any interference: "The best way for me to move forward on films, I realise... and this was a lesson I had to learn for myself... is that I've gotta be the singular voice that makes the creative choices on the film."

Raimi is far from the best director alive, but darnit if he's not my favorite. He's never made a film that I flat out hated, things about certain ones irk me, but they all have a tremendous upside. I honestly believe that Spidey 3 was not his fault.

Guest DCAUFan1051

wasn't Spidey once the original if not one of the original flagship character faces for marvel? kinda like mario and zelda are for nintendo and sonic was for sega? or am I totally off base?

I think he should scale it back to one villain or maybe one major villain and a minor villain taken on early on. Wouldn't if the movie starts with a fight joined in progress.

I'm putting in my vote to introduce Kraven and have Spidey fight Lizard in #4, and do Kraven's last stand, I love that book, in #5.

I wonder if the villain will be more sympathetic that Spiderman again? Or Spiderman will be given a some choice over who to save only to take about 3 seconds to save everybody anyway? Or maybe there will be some type of crime happening right behind Spiderman that only serves the purpose of being convenient for the plot point that Mary Jane is a bitch.

Didn't someone once mention in this thread or another one Bruce Campbell playing Mysterio and using his cameos in the first three films as the same guy learning about Peter and Spider-man.

If the person was joking, dam, but I like that idea.

Bruce Campbell's cameos were always awesome.

I said that and no I wasn't joking. It was a rumor at the time.

• 3 weeks later...
Spider-Man director Sam Raimi told reporters that he will meet with Kirsten Dunst soon to talk about her reprising the role of Mary Jane Watson in the upcoming fourth installment of the superhero franchise.

"I'm hoping that she is going to come aboard, and I've got a meeting coming up with her," Raimi said in a group interview last week in Beverly Hills, Calif., where he was promoting his upcoming horror film Drag Me to Hell. "I think she would like to. But I don't want to speak on behalf of her."

http://scifiwire.com/2009/04/sam-raimi-to-meet-with-ki.php

I can't believe she's not signed yet. Maybe there still is hope that she'll turn it down. I can dream can't I?

But seriously, she'll do it. Except for these movies, her career is as dead as Ben Parker.

But seriously, she'll do it. Except for these movies, her career is as dead as Ben Parker.

Not really. Prior to 2004 she averaged three films a year. Shes done one film a year since 2005 which were all good to giant-sized projects like Marie Anoinette, How To Lose Friends or Spider-man 3. This year she is set to do three films including one for the Weinsteins, one for Warner and producing and starring in another for Paramount. I'd say any lull in activity in her career didn't really hurt her with regard to her status in the business.

I actually like Kirsten Dunst, I always have, its just that she's not suited to the role of Mary Jane at all. She's very good in most of her other work.

I actually like Kirsten Dunst, I always have, its just that she's not suited to the role of Mary Jane at all. She's very good in most of her other work.

I concur. I like her, but MJ she is not.

Ironically, I think that Bryce Dallas Howard's somewhat bubbly and sensual portrayal of Gwen Stacy would have been great for MJ. (and she's an actual redhead!)

I concur. I like her, but MJ she is not.

Ironically, I think that Bryce Dallas Howard's somewhat bubbly and sensual portrayal of Gwen Stacy would have been great for MJ. (and she's an actual redhead!)

And Dunst is an actual blonde! I'm not going to get upset if MJ isn't in Spidey 4 as there is always Gwen in reserve, but Franco won't be in the 4th movie and the less actors the franchise loses, the more legitimate it's going to feel. Say what you will about Superman IV (seriously, I'm not going to stop you), it had an air of legitimacy as it had the main cast locked in. It didn't stop the movie from sucking, but at the same time, you couldn't argue it wasn't part of the series.

And Dunst is an actual blonde! I'm not going to get upset if MJ isn't in Spidey 4 as there is always Gwen in reserve, but Franco won't be in the 4th movie and the less actors the franchise loses, the more legitimate it's going to feel. Say what you will about Superman IV (seriously, I'm not going to stop you), it had an air of legitimacy as it had the main cast locked in. It didn't stop the movie from sucking, but at the same time, you couldn't argue it wasn't part of the series.

That's a very valid point. At the same time, however, I'm ready for the Raimi-era films to end, as they're essentially stopping adaptations of Spidey's modern stories from being told. The Raimi Spidey doesn't have the incredible humor or sharpness of modern Peter Parker; instead we have the cow-like Tobey Maguire doing his best to be the most pathetic and constantly stupified Peter Parker in history. True, Tobey brings a good bit of emotional depth to the story, but he also makes Peter seem less and less smart in each film. That's at least half the fault of the script he's been given, but still.

I long for a clever, quippy film, much like Iron Man. If Spider-man 4 (or 5) can give me that, then cool. Otherwise, I'd rather that they just pull an Incredible maneuver (;)) and rehash the entire current continuity.

Also, I dislike the way that the films portray MJ as "the only one for Peter." The Gwen/MJ/Betty/whoever-else uncertainty conflict is one of my favorite parts of the Spider-man story.

Not really. Prior to 2004 she averaged three films a year. Shes done one film a year since 2005 which were all good to giant-sized projects like Marie Anoinette, How To Lose Friends or Spider-man 3. This year she is set to do three films including one for the Weinsteins, one for Warner and producing and starring in another for Paramount. I'd say any lull in activity in her career didn't really hurt her with regard to her status in the business.

None of her recent movies have made any real money, if any at all. She proved she can't headline a movie if Spider-Man isn't in it. Her career is dependent on the series, and it would be a huge mistake to turn it down. Marie Antoinette was a critical disaster, and How to Loose Friends only made like 40 percent of it's money back. If she turned down Spider-Man 4, she would basically disappear into the indi film scene.