The awesome video thread

Mr. Keith

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's an amazing one-man production, but I'd rather watch the Max Fleischer Superman cartoon which this is clearly paying homage to.

Was that a TARDIS he changed in?

EDIT: Ah, I see you caught it too, Shaun.

Edited by The Master

Way to make me doubt your geek cred, Doug. ;)

Since I'm a Spider-Man geek, I'm going to comment on each of these.

11. The American Flags

-The New Yorkers annoyed me more.

10. Pointless characters

-I agree. Gwen Stacy? Bryce Dallas Howard was perfect casting and they botched the character. John Jameson? He wasn't a character, he was a plot device.

9. Hokey acting from background characters

-This doesn't bother me really (because Hal Sparks and Joel McHale are awesome), though the screaming woman in the building, while Raimi-esque, was out of place.

8. Effects in Spider-Man 1

-Don't really bother me.

7. Little Venom in Spider-Man 3

-I had more problem with Venom's arrival being a deus ex machina than the lack of Venom. I thought Topher Grace did a good job too. If they had swapped John Jameson with Eddie Brock, Venom would have been developed much better.

6. The Romance

-Felt pretty Spider-Man to me.

5. Doc Ock's arms

-Didn't have a problem with this either (though the arms talking to him was a bit much).

4. The Dialogue

-I think it's cheesy in all three.

3. Emo Peter

-I agree with this too. It would have been better if Peter looked normal, maybe had the costume give him a nice suit, and just acted cocky and had a much shorter temper for other people's crap.

2. Wilhem Dafoe

-He was one of the best things about the film series, terrible costume be damned.

1. The Dance Scene

-I agree with this one too.

Where was the Macy Gray concert from the first movie?

I think the main issue with Venom is that Eddie just suddenly turns into a mad psychopath, with no real justification. The church scene felt like someone said to Raimi:

"Yeah.....we need to justify why he's gone evil.....like a church..say he's in the same church, at the exact same time....except you know, make it good"

Eddie hated Peter for ruining his life (even though he was a dick) and the suit amplified that hatred. I agree, though, that it needed more than one film to be a believable change. That church scene was in the comic as well, with Brock going there to pray forgiveness before he was going to kill himself (if I remember correctly).

Eddie hated Peter for ruining his life (even though he was a dick) and the suit amplified that hatred. I agree, though, that it needed more than one film to be a believable change. That church scene was in the comic as well, with Brock going there to pray forgiveness before he was going to kill himself (if I remember correctly).

But he went to the church and asked for God to kill Peter. It was a great scene, but it felt like it came out of nowhere. And the forgiveness angle would have worked better.

The critic did bring up a good point about it being JJ's son being Venom. It would've been a nice twist, and people wouldn't have called bullshit on that set up. Suit hates Spider-Man, John hated Peter, and together they make Venom.