Episode 03

RSS

"It's Never Too Late" proved mobsters could be sympathetic characters years before The Sopranos hit HBO. Not every episode can be a gem, and "I've Got Batman in My Basement" illustrates that. Bruce Wayne might be a hopeless romantic, but Batman sees everything in black and white ("Cat and the Claw"). The near-perfect "Heart of Ice" needs no description. And "See No Evil" has a shocking subtext. If that wasn't enough for you, listen just to hear Mike make quite possibly the funniest Freudian slip ever. [ 1:11:46 || 32.8 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_003.mp3

awesome, i got mentioned on this episode.

this was a great batch of episodes with the exception of "I've Got A Batman In My Basement". You guys bought up some intresting points about "It's Never Too Late" which is probably one of my favorite episodes. one of my fondest memories was watching that episode with my dad when i was a kid and him remarking that this was far more sophisticated than most anything that was on tv at the time. I would also add that out of all the B:TAS episodes that one felt the most Chris Nolan-esque. Also i had a similar reaction to "See No Evil" when i watched it recently, I never picked up on the subtext as a kid but when i recently watched it i found it extremly dark and disturbing and the opening score still sends chills down my spine. Props to you guys though for taking the time to do this podcast because it has been one of my favorite things to listen to recently and i wish i had thought of it first lol.

oh and btw that definetly was Arleen Sorkin in "Heart Of Ice"

Hey, Malpractice! Glad to see you've joined the forums! And thanks for the kind words.

Batman: The Animated Series had some truly remarkable episodes, many of which have stood the test of time. The show is filled with sophistication, awesome writing and unheard of character development. The fact that your father noticed it all those years ago proves this point. It's not something we (the fans) are making up now to reassure ourselves that it's okay to be watching a 15-year-old cartoon; the complexity is clearly there, and has been from the start. Back then we simply didn't notice it, because, well... we were kids. That said, not every cartoon should be this deep, but there's no reason there should be a lack of BTAS-inspired shows either.

And I agree with you wholeheartedly: the theme of "See No Evil" creeps me out!

Good set of reviews, guys! Heat of Ice is deserving of a ten in my opinion - that's pretty much a perfect episode.

Question: do you know of a stream site with these episodes on? I once stumbled across one that had pretty much every ep available until the URL changed. I only ask because I refuse to torrent and I'm a tad poor to be buying the DVD at the moment. Apart from Heart of Ice and the Cat & Claw, I don't think I've seen the other three.

Good set of reviews, guys! Heat of Ice is deserving of a ten in my opinion - that's pretty much a perfect episode.

Question: do you know of a stream site with these episodes on? I once stumbled across one that had pretty much every ep available until the URL changed. I only ask because I refuse to torrent and I'm a tad poor to be buying the DVD at the moment. Apart from Heart of Ice and the Cat & Claw, I don't think I've seen the other three.

Don't say I never did anything for ya!

Greatest site ever, I only discovered it yesterday and I'm already wayyyy behind on two deadlines (not Reel Dread though).

PS you'll need a DivX player but them are free from what I hear round these parts.

An explanation on the punching:

It's widely know that network Standard and Practices has rules that prevent the use of punching to the head or face on animated programs (Though the original Batman series did skirt this rule on sevral occasions) because they (the S & P people) don't want children too watch something that is easy to imitate.

Coincidently, another rule that got Batman in trouble with the S & P people is over the use of real guns (ie. that fire bullets). This is usually why in most action cartoons, when a gun is fired, it's a laser beam of some kind, because those types of fireamrs really don't exsist.

Oh, I fully understand that the lack of punching had something to do with the censors (I think I even said as much). What I find odd, however, is that sometimes he punches people, and other times he goes out of his way not to.

• 5 weeks later...

RE: S&P restrictions

Don't know if anybody else has seen this, but in the book Batman Animated by Paul Dini and Chip Kidd they printed a sketch, done I'm guessing by one of the animators, showcasing everything they were prohibited from putting in the show (children in direct peril, drug abuse, nudity, etc) all in one image. It was pretty over the top and hilarious. I don't own the book now, but plan on ordering it.

Batman Animated

RE: Heart of Ice

One thing that didn't come up in the review was the quality of Michael Ansara's voice acting as Victor Fries. He somehow manages to make Mr. Freeze sound almost robotically cold, yet still expressing great emotion, mostly anger and sadness. Added to this was the processing that made him sound even more distant and cut off from the rest of humanity.

Good stuff kids.

• 5 months later...

Another quick set of responses from your truly.

It's Never Too Late, certainly does show that just like Al Pacino in Godfather III, a man caught up in the mob can get away from it if they truly want too. I never really paid attention to how little Batman really interferes in this episode. Thanks for pointing it out. It really wasn't a Batman episode, he was more of a insigator of events. It's one of those episodes that do two things. It entertains and sends an important message to kids, DON'T DO DRUGS. Rupert Thorn being in the episode is always fun as well, he is dark and cool for an everyday type villain. 7 out of 10

I've Got Batman in My Basement, what were they thinking? I don't really enjoy Penguin episodes to begin with, but this makes it worse. It's Batman meets Home Alone in the worse way. Well here's my quick review, sucks, but still better than Catch Scratch Fever, 2 out of 10

Heart of Ice, the best episode featuring Mr Freeze, may very well be the best episode of the first set of episodes. The Producers and writers of BTAS, gave Mr Freeze a very tragic story, which has since than been put into the comic books and even the dismal Batman & Robin. Mark Hamill's performance as Boyle is great too. Love the idea of Fries vs Boyle(Freze vs Boil) in this episode and it was fun hearing you point that out. This is an episode that definately deserved two parts, but still served its purpose in one episode. Up until now Mr Freeze has only been seen in the Superfriends cartoons and the Batman 1966 TV Series and it was fun to see a definitive background on the character. 10 out of 10 for me

The Cat and the Claw parts 1 and 2, Well what can I say, they took a great character and actress put them together. My only problem is they looked to the Batman Returns film for look and attitude it seems. Now don't get me wrong I liked Batman Returns, but it had a lot of flaws. Here we meet Selena Kyle aka The Catwoman. An animal activist to the extreme(like Poison Ivy with the trees and Mother Earth) who scores a date with Bruce Wayne during an auction. Well liked but I'm not sure if it needed two parts. 5 out of 10

See No Evil, I didn't know he can fly too, lol Great line as Batman is on top of an invisible car and two homeless people see him. It is a creepy episode to begin with, the guy does look like a child molester and I never really thought about it, until you guys pointed it out. I'm not sure why the producers would do that, but if they did it intentionally, wow is all I have to say. It always did bother me that when the father goes in to rob the store that Bruce Wayne, just happens to be in he makes so much noise. It also bothered me, that out of all the shops in Gotham that sells jewelry he would choose that one. But I guess you have to suspend disbelief. Anyway, it is great episode to watch. I give it 6 out of 10.

See No Evil, I didn't know he can fly too, lol Great line as Batman is on top of an invisible car and two homeless people see him. It is a creepy episode to begin with, the guy does look like a child molester and I never really thought about it, until you guys pointed it out. I'm not sure why the producers would do that, but if they did it intentionally, wow is all I have to say. It always did bother me that when the father goes in to rob the store that Bruce Wayne, just happens to be in he makes so much noise. It also bothered me, that out of all the shops in Gotham that sells jewelry he would choose that one. But I guess you have to suspend disbelief. Anyway, it is great episode to watch. I give it 6 out of 10.

Was it a jewelry store or a convention? If it was a store, it was huge!

Was it a jewelry store or a convention? If it was a store, it was huge!

I'm going to have to look at the episode again just to make sure,

• 1 year later...

I know I'm behind, but I just found the podcast not too long ago and am working my way through them. In the discussion of See No Evil it's brought up that Batman really does a number on Lloyd. Well, in The Underdwellers Batman says something to the Sewer King about not being the judge and jury, but wishing he was that one time. Both episodes involved children somehow, and if you think about the child molester undertones in See No Evil, the beating he gave Lloyd makes even more sense.

Also, perhaps Batman let Kimmy run off by herself because he knew he was gonna beat her dad, and even though he was a slimeball he didn't want to make her go through what he did when he watched his own parents get murdered.

The end of the episode kind of helps that theory along as well since he checks up to make sure the girl is ok later.

Just my thoughts.