Episode 98

RSS

Though they agree that Spider-Man 3 was rather lackluster, Jenny and Mike vehemently disagree on the characterization of Mary Jane. (One thinks she's an unsympathetic character portrayed by a hack actress who doesn't resemble the part. The other believes MJ epitomizes how young women think and act.) When that's all said and done, Desmond Reddick pops in with another installment of Dread Media. Also: Episodes 100 and 101 are right around the corner, and we need your help! [ 1:52:22 || 51.4 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/theshow/episodes/e2ts_098.mp3

I think your 2/5 rating for Spider-Man 3 was a little too generous lol. What a complete pile of shit that movie was, and Mike i echo your sentiments on Kristen Dunst. I disagree with you on one thing you mentioned in the episode though and that was your statement that Spider-Man 2 is the best "superhero" movie ever. Now don't get me wrong i thought Spider-Man 2 was great and i enjoyed it a lot but i wouldn't say it is the best. Superman: The Movie, Batman Begins, and X-2 are all better films in my opinion. But then again that's a petty squabble because at the end of the day i think we can agree they are all great movies.

The score I gave Spider-Man 3 was based more on the performances of Grace, Maguire, Church and Franco (add Simmons, Campbell and Tovah in there too) than the script. It's sort of like how I felt about Superman Returns: despite a terribly weak film, some of the actors really turned it up a notch. For that, I give them credit.

Superman: It holds up well and is definitely a classic, but better films have come along since.

Batman Begins: I have to see it again. Our experience was marred by the theater shutting the film off near the end. While I enjoyed what I saw, I can't rightfully rank it.

X2: That's probably my second favorite superhero film.

What puts Spider-Man 2 above all others is the emotional impact it had on me. The train scene alone pushes the film to the top. Watching Spider-Man literally tear himself in half to save all those people not only captured the character perfectly, but something about the heroism hits me right here *pats chest*.

I think your 2/5 rating for Spider-Man 3 was a little too generous lol. What a complete pile of shit that movie was, and Mike i echo your sentiments on Kristen Dunst.

Boy, you're going to hate my review!

I disagree with you on one thing you mentioned in the episode though and that was your statement that Spider-Man 2 is the best "superhero" movie ever. Now don't get me wrong i thought Spider-Man 2 was great and i enjoyed it a lot but i wouldn't say it is the best. Superman: The Movie, Batman Begins, and X-2 are all better films in my opinion. But then again that's a petty squabble because at the end of the day i think we can agree they are all great movies.

Spider-Man 2 is right up there, but I'd probably rank X2 as the best CBM movie to date. Batman Begins and the original Superman are on a par with Spidey 2 - I'll probably do some reviews of those films after the summer to determine where they rank on my list.

Anyway, proper feedback! I am REALLY glad I listened to this review before recording my own Spider-Man 3 review. Mike's take on it gave me counterpoints to add in whilst the MJ debate was really well done - as such, I think I took five minutes talking about the weakest character in the film!!! Personally, I enjoyed the film and despite the clutter, it was in no way worth 4/10 (remember, I originally rated Supeman Returns a 7!!! That's soon to change, as I'll explain when my segment airs). Unquestionably the weakest in the trilogy, but compare it to some other films and you'll see that, in context, it's a good CBM film, albeit with major flaws.

Dread Media was fun too - as a self-confessed coward, I'm surprised that I remember watching the original Hellraiser film one evening, given that it's damn cover kept me out of video shops for 5 years! The remake will be interesting, especially if Clive Barker gets involved and the film is kept out of the hands of "directors" like Rob Zombie/Paul W.S Anderson/James's favourite, Uwe Boll. :devil: