Spider-Man 2 news

Missy

Word has it that a 2 1/2 minute Spider-Man 2 trailer will air about 40 minutes into The Apprentice this week, and that it will hit theaters come Friday. :OMG:

Unfortunately I don't watch The Apprentice, and, even if I did, it runs at the same time as SmackDown! -- so unless I flip over during a commercial break and happen to catch it, I'll have to wait until Friday to see it. Damn! I take that back. I'll have to wait until next week when I see The Punisher and Kill Bill vol. 2, because nothing good comes out this week. :grumble:

Jesus... I can't wait. I will see this one opening day just like I did with the first one. They almost have to go with Hobgoblin for the third movie, but with Parker's identity being revealed, I don't know what they're going to do. I would freak out like a girl at an N'Sync concert if they did Venom in the third movie though!

They almost have to go with Hobgoblin for the third movie, but with Parker's identity being revealed, I don't know what they're going to do. I would freak out like a girl at an N'Sync concert if they did Venom in the third movie though!

They have two options for future movies:

01. Turn Harry into one of the Goblins -- be it Green Goblin II or Hobgoblin.

02. Have Harry take over his father's empire (as he apparently has), and have him continue to produce the villains to kill Spider-Man/Peter. This way he can create Venom as the anti-Spider-Man.

• 2 months later...
Sam Raimi sheds cult status as 'Spider-Man' director

By DAVID GERMAIN

Associated Press

CULVER CITY, Calif. -- With great power comes great responsibility, both for Spider-Man and the dapper director who orchestrates the superhero's big-screen adventures.

Much like Peter Parker was transformed from gangly teen into the web-slinging crime-fighter, Sam Raimi was catapulted from cult-filmmaker status to master of one of Hollywood's largest franchises.

Sam Raimi, the filmmaker behind 2002's blockbuster Spider-Man and the upcoming sequel Spider-Man 2, compares adapting Stan Lee's Marvel Comics hero to being one of the oral storytellers of ancient times, entrusted with passing on the legends of Hercules or Achilles.

"With great power comes great responsibility is the theme of Stan Lee's comic book, and it is what I've tried to push through with these pictures. And I do feel that I have a responsibility to protect it," Raimi, 44, told The Associated Press.

"I look at Spider-Man as a great American myth. ... It's a great American myth that is almost wrapped in a flag and being handed to me, and I better not drop it. I better not sully it. I better retell it with as much honor and greatness as I can muster from my voice to do it justice before I hand it to the next storyteller."

When Raimi was picked by Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios to tell the story of Spider-Man, he was a daring choice for Hollywood, where the really big jobs usually go to filmmakers whose movies have put wads of cash in studio vaults.

Raimi had never had a major hit. He had a zealous following among horror fans for his 1983 cult classic The Evil Dead and its two follow-ups, Evil Dead II and Army of Darkness, along with 1990's Darkman. Other filmmakers worshipped Raimi, whose frantic camera movements on The Evil Dead have influenced two decades of action pictures.

Respect and modest box-office success came Raimi's way for 1998's A Simple Plan, starring Billy Bob Thornton, Bridget Fonda and Bill Paxton, and 2000's The Gift, with Cate Blanchett and Keanu Reeves.

But Raimi's big-budget movies -- Sharon Stone's Western The Quick and the Dead and Kevin Costner's baseball flick For Love of the Game -- were duds.

His big financial successes had come from television with Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess, which he and college chum and producing partner Robert Tapert brought to the small screen.

Raimi was as surprised as anyone when he got the Spider-Man gig over bigger-name directors. With that $400 million success behind him, it's hard now to imagine a Spider-Man movie without him.

"The man is at the top of his game. Why wouldn't we want him for our No. 1 franchise?" said Avi Arad, head of Marvel Studios and a producer on Spider-Man 2.

As far as Arad is concerned, the job should be Raimi's for as long as he wants it.

When Raimi interviewed for the first Spider-Man, "he left the room with no idea that he got the gig, but we knew it. Because there was something trustworthy," Arad said. "His love for Spider-Man was such that we felt we could hand him the baby and he could be incredibly responsible with it."

For his cast, Raimi is a classy, open-minded leader, dressing nattily on the set in suit and tie and seeking out actors' input.

"I can always say whatever I want," said Tobey Maguire, who returns as Spider-Man. "I could say, 'You know, we're doing this scene in a week, and I'm looking at it and kind of having problems with it and here's what I think.' ... Or he'll say, 'This scene's coming up and I think we need to make it better, we need to do something about it. I need you to take a look at it and tell me what you think.'"

Raimi grew up near Detroit and attended Michigan State University but dropped out to make movies, collaborating with Tapert and older brother Ivan Raimi.

The filmmaker maintains many early ties. He helped launch the career of the Coen brothers (Joel Coen was an assistant editor on The Evil Dead), and Raimi had a bit part in the Coens' Miller's Crossing and co-wrote The Hudsucker Proxy with them.

His younger brother, Ted Raimi, played the bumbling Joxer on Xena and Hercules and has small parts in many of the director's movies, including both Spider-Man flicks. Evil Dead star Bruce Campbell also pops up in the Spider-Man movies and was a recurring performer on Xena and Hercules.

By necessity, Raimi never relied on commercial success for validation as a filmmaker.

"I spent 22 years making movies in Hollywood before I had a chance to make a hit like Spider-Man. So to survive, I had to convince myself that box-office success is not how I'm ever going to gauge my own success. I had to say the artistic success of the movie, how much the audience liked it, that's all that I care about, that's all that I'm going to judge my success by."

So Spider-Man has left him a bit flummoxed.

The top-grossing movie of 2002, Spider-Man shattered box-office records for best opening weekend ever with $114.8 million. Raimi went into Spider-Man 2 knowing if its receipts did not live up to the first one, it might be considered a failure.

He tried to put the bottom line out of his mind.

"I just said, 'I'm going to make the best picture I can,'" Raimi said. "I know they need it to make money, but I don't have a secret equation for that. I'm just going to put in what I love, and hopefully, because I'm a human being, other people will love it, too."

Spider-Man 2 tests Peter Parker's commitment to the superhero profession. Peter's working two jobs, falling behind in college and perpetually exhausted swinging from building to building to catch bad guys.

His Aunt May (Rosemary Harris) faces foreclosure on her house. Peter's best pal, Harry Osborn (James Franco), is obsessed with revenge on Spider-Man, whom he blames for the death of his father, Willem Dafoe's Green Goblin, in the first movie.

And Peter continues to pine for his dream girl, Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten Dunst), who's about to marry another man.

Along with Maguire, Dunst and other recurring cast members, Raimi is signed on to make Spider-Man 3, due out in May 2007. Raimi is uncertain whether he will stick around to direct future Spider-Man movies if the franchise continues beyond that.

"As long as I'm interested in the character and have a real curiosity toward what happens to him, I know it's the right picture. And the moment I don't feel that, when I'm less interested in him, I don't want to touch it with a 10-foot flag pole, because I'd be the wrong guy. It would be a terrible failure," Raimi said.

"People wouldn't like it. I've got to be very, very interested to make a great picture, and I want to try to make a great picture out of Spider-Man. So I could only answer that question after the third one."

In his self-deprecating way, Raimi adds a final thought on his prospects for directing Spider-Man 4.

"Or what might happen is, I make the third one, and I might say, 'You know what, I'm very interested in making the fourth one,' and the audience says, 'We really wish you wouldn't.' That's the other way in which I might not be making the movie."

(source: HoustonChronicle.com)

'Spider-Man 2' Takes in Record $40.5M

LOS ANGELES - "Spider-Man 2" took in $40.5 million in its first day, a record debut that positions the film to beat more box-office highs through the Fourth of July weekend.

Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations, said Thursday that "Spider-Man 2" could go on to shatter other debut records, including the best three-day weekend of $114.8 million for "Spider-Man."

Ticket sales Wednesday surpassed the previous debut record of $39.4 million that the original "Spider-Man" grossed in its first day two years ago.

The opening-day figure for "Spider-Man 2" was even more remarkable since it came on a Wednesday, when business is slower than on weekends. The first "Spider-Man" debuted on a Friday.

"We're in uncharted territory looking at midweek numbers this big," Dergarabedian said. "I remember when $40 million was a big opening weekend for a movie not that long ago, and now that's a single day in the middle of the week."

The best previous debut for a movie opening on Wednesday was $34.5 million last December for "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King."

(source)

Six-Day Record (Wednesday to Monday)

-- $180.1 million

---- Beating The Matrix Reloaded ($146.9 million)

Five-Day Record (Wednesday to Sunday)

-- $152.6 million

---- Beating The Matrix Reloaded ($144.4 million)

------ Which means Spider-Man 2 made $33.2 million on Monday, whereas Reloaded earned $2.5 million. (Says something about quality and word-of-mouth, doesn't it?)

Four-Days (Friday to Monday)

-- $115.8 million

---- No word if this is a record.

Three-Day 4th of July Weekend Record (Friday to Sunday)

-- $88.3 million

---- Beating Men in Black II ($52.1 million)

July Three-Day Opening Weekend Record (Friday to Sunday)

-- $88.3 million

---- Beating Austin Powers in Goldmember ($73.1 million)

It seems as if the only record Spider-Man 2 did not break was the three-day $114.8 million (Friday to Sunday) mark the original set. Most attribute this to the fact that the sequel opened on a Wednesday, giving fans more time to see it before the traditionally crowded weekend.

• 2 weeks later...