Episode 04

RSS

Who'd have thought the once-campy Adam West could turn in such a touching performance ("Beware the Gray Ghost"), or that Heather Locklear had a small part in the lackluster "Prophecy of Doom"? "Feat of Clay" begs a serious question, and continues to portray Batman's villains as sympathetic characters. If there's one person in the world you wouldn't want to owe a favor to, it's The Joker ("Joker's Favor"). And in "Vendetta" Batman admits he was wrong about Harvey Bullock! [ 1:31:33 || 41.9 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.worldsfinestpodcast.com/episodes/wfp_004.mp3

I really enjoying these podcasts right now as I'm going through all the episodes of the Batman Animated series anyway. It just brings attention to the details.

About the Metamorpho I think you could consider part of Clayfaces' uncontrollable transformation to be an homage since the face goes white and the colour scheme is split.

I wasn't a big fan of the Grey Ghost just because it felt too close to being a parody of Adam West just because it was his voice. Thats probably the effect of his role on Family Guy spoiling it for me.

now that i listened to the whole episode i'll throw my 2 cents in on a few topics

Mike bought up the whole standards and practices thing in relation to the how they got away with certain things on the show and i would say there is a good chance that the network just didn't notice it or did not have enough money to go back and change it. I don't know if you guys are familar with Clerks: The Cartoon (which Paul Dini did work on) but in the audio commentary for that series you can hear the creators and animators talking about how the network would never pick up on stuff like the "all black jury", or the word "moe" and a lot of other jokes that you would be shocked to see on a network television show and a big reason why the people running the networks never picked up on them because they for the most part were only looking for certain words and nothing else really. It wouldn't shock me that B:TAS got away with a lot of that because of how subtle it is. Another point that the Clerks guys bought up was that the network would send them a list of like 100 things they took issue with on each episode and once they explained to them that it would cost money to change it and reshoot it, the list changed to about 3 things. I wouldn't be suprised if the folks at Fox and the WB decided that it would cost too much to go back and change certain scenes of violence or something to that extent and not to mention they weren't sure the show would be a hit either so it might not of been worth it to pool more money into it at that time.

I was a little dissapointed that "Joker's Favor" only got in the 6/7 range because it is my favorite episode of B:TAS but you still said positive things about it. The thing i love so much about the episode is the entrance of The Joker at the beginning after he get's out of his car because even though he's making jokes and everything he still has this prescene or aura about him right when you see him that once he's in your prescene, you're dead. It's something i have seen in all the best interpertations of The Joker and it's something i didn't see at all in Nicholson's portrayal of The Joker which was probably a big reason i didn't care for him in that movie (but that's a different story). I just love the creepyness of The Joker in that he would follow this guy around and keep tabs on him and make him live his life in complete fear every second he's alive just for fun. It was just so great. I also loved this episode so much just because it is the introduction of one of my favorite characters Harley Quinn. I am not 100% sure if that was supposed to be Harley at the beginning of the episode in Jim's office but if it was i would say she was just there to remember her face and how easily she would be able to get into places. Also the point of the ending with Batman laughing was clearly just to piss off The Joker and it clearly succeded in doing that lol.

Also I believe Gotham City is supposed to be located in the NYC/NJ area but i am not 100% sure on that. Can't wait for the next episode.

The thing i love so much about the episode is the entrance of The Joker at the beginning after he get's out of his car because even though he's making jokes and everything he still has this prescene or aura about him right when you see him that once he's in your prescene, you're dead. It's something i have seen in all the best interpertations of The Joker and it's something i didn't see at all in Nicholson's portrayal of The Joker which was probably a big reason i didn't care for him in that movie (but that's a different story). I just love the creepyness of The Joker in that he would follow this guy around and keep tabs on him and make him live his life in complete fear every second he's alive just for fun. It was just so great.

THANK YOU! I honestly thought I was the only person who hated Jack in that role!

Concerning the score I gave "Joker's Favor," it's a very good episode (possibly the best Joker episode) but there are too many minor problems that add-up, taking away from the overall experience.

• 3 weeks later...

RE: Joker's Favor

I remember Joker's Favor being the very first episode of Batman: TAS I ever saw as a kid. This was an odd thing since this one is light on Batman himself. It speaks to the overall quality of the episode that a more nontraditional episode was what got me started watching.

RE: Beware the Gray Ghost

I'm pretty sure this wasn't mentioned on the show, but it might have been glossed over just because of how much the guys disliked the character. The Mad Bomber is both visually based on and voiced by Bruce Timm. "My beautiful toys!!"

I'm pretty sure this wasn't mentioned on the show, but it might have been glossed over just because of how much the guys disliked the character. The Mad Bomber is both visually based on and voiced by Bruce Timm. "My beautiful toys!!"

Oh shoot! Did we not mention that? That's one of the Easter Eggs I meant to mention, but must have forgotten about at the time of recording.

• 5 months later...

Well here I go:

Beware the Gray Ghost, one of my favorite episodes. It makes me think that the producers could have taken this opportunity to create a spin off cartoon called The Gray Ghost, with Adam West. It is ironic because Adam West just like Simon Trent is a great actor who has been type casted in one role. We all grew up on the Adam West Batman and Gerorge Reeves Superman TV Series, both actors(with Reeves dying type casted)would find it hard to break free of their respective characters. The episode itself works well in that aspect, but it also gives us a glimpse into Bruce's childhood and we get to see that he didn't just wake up one day and say "Let me be a bat, with a cave" but that he was copying his childhood hero. I absolutely love the Gray Ghost theme, it really sounds like a 50's or 60's theme song. And yes, the The Mad Bomber does look like Bruce Timm, thanks to the person on this forum that brought it up. I did notice thst, but never gave it a mentional thought. I also used to think that The Mad Bomber could be considered a pre-Toyman Toyman. 7 out of 10.

Prophecy of Doom, I don't like episodes like this. I like the idea of magic or witchcraft, but this I found was so stupid. I don't really have much to say on it, I'm sorry. Once again I thank you for taking the time to watch and review this episode. 3 out of 10(for Kevin Conroy and the some of the animation)

Feat of Clay part 1 and 2, I LOVE THIS EPISODE!! This is one of my personal favorites, I must say. It combines the origins of the Matt Hagan Clayface and the original Clayface(which I read that comic) and does it nicely. The music is top notch and really helps the viewer feel bad for the character. Another episode that entertains and shows the dangers of what happens when you let addiction take a hold of you. I love the fact that you pointed out that during the shapeshifting at the end, he shifts into Metamorpho. Before I give my scores I must comment on Ron Perlman's portrayel of Clayface, FANTASTIC. He just like John Glover(who voices The Riddler)has made a huge staple in the world of Comic Books and movies. He has gone on to plays Hellboy in the Del Toro films(shooting the live action part 2 movie and voicing the animated part 2 movie)and played Blade's nemesis of sorts in Blade II. His portrayel made it weird to see someone else play him in the Birds of Prey TV Series. I never liked the guy who portrayed Clayface in that series. One of the best endings in the BTAS Series also....9 out of 10

The Joker's Favor, Your no fun anymore Charlie, lol I know I keeo quoting lines from Joker episodes. It shows that I watch these episodes the most. Another gem for, I love the music given to Charlie, it really makes this feel like a good old fashion cartoon, while still retaining the darkness of BTAS. Watching Charlie go from a simple man whose just having a bad day, making a mistake, having a decent life, than going crazy all because of the Joker, was fun. If you ever wanted to bring fans onto your podcast I would love to debate on all the Joker episodes that you didn't like as much. It would be fun. 8 out of 10

Vendetta, well its an okay episode as it introduces us to Killer Croc. I also enjoy seeing Bullock interact with Batman as enemy/ally combo. The episodes featuring Killer Croc I haven't watched as much, but this is for me, the second best Croc episode. 4 out of 10