G.I. Joe

Sienna Miller is the first actor to enlist in Paramount Pictures' big-budget tentpole G.I. Joe, reports Variety.

The British actress will play the film's female lead, described as a raven-haired baroness and sexy femme fatale skilled in espionage.

Stephen Sommers directs the live-action film based on the Hasbro toys, comic book and TV series.

Paramount, which has set a mid-February start date, has slotted the film for an August 7, 2009, release.

The story is set at Brussels-based GIJOE, an acronym for the Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, and revolves around an international co-ed force of operatives who use high-tech equipment to battle Cobra, an evil org headed by a Scottish arms dealer.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6539

Why is Destro running Cobra?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Cobra Commander will be a Joe turned heel by the end of the film. Watch.

I don't think that would be very believable. Why would the Joes let a guy in that looks like an executioner in a hood?

CC has a great backstory that needs to be in the movie. He's a business man who feels like the government is against him.

Because Cobra Commander will be a Joe turned heel by the end of the film. Watch.

I don't think that would be very believable. Why would the Joes let a guy in that looks like an executioner in a hood?

CC has a great backstory that needs to be in the movie. He's a business man who feels like the government is against him.

Think that'll stop Hollywood?

• 2 weeks later...
/FILM has learned that Ray Park (Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace, X-Men) has been cast as Snake Eyes in director Stephen Sommers' G.I. Joe, coming to theaters on August 7, 2009. Master ninja Snake Eyes is one of the original members and a key character in "G.I. Joe."

Park joins Sienna Miller in the live-action film based on the Hasbro toys, comic book and TV series.

Paramount is targeting a mid-February start date. Lorenzo di Bonaventura (Transformers) is producing alongside Hasbro's Brian Goldner.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=39976

• 2 weeks later...
Storm Shadow aka Tommy S. Arashikage, Snake-Eye's brother and rival will be played by Korean Mega Star BYEONG-HEON LEE!

For all you gamers out there, his likeness was used for the main character in Capcom's game LOST PLANET.

He just wrapped a movie with Josh Harnett called, "I Come With The Rain"

This guy is a mega star in his native Korea. There is also a current Korean pop culture boom going on in Japan right now because of the Korean drama WINTER SONATA which he is in.

What about Shana "SCARLETT" O' Hara?

RACHEL NICHOLS!

She will next be seen in CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR. ALIAS fans will remember her as the girl who played RACHEL GIBSON.

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive...or-g-i-joe-3533

leesscb7.th.jpg rnscarjv3.th.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Marlon Wayans has signed on to play Ripcord, leader of the military unit in Paramount's big screen G.I. Joe. adaptation, says Variety.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is in negotiations to join the tentpole pic, which is based on the American soldier action figure created by Hasbro.

The war-themed story is set 10 years in the future. Stuart Beattie wrote the screenplay, while Paul Lovett & David Elliot and Skip Woods contributed earlier drafts.

The Stephen Sommers-directed film is set to start shooting next month in Los Angeles. Rachel Nichols, Sienna Miller, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje and Said Taghmaoui have already joined the cast.

Lorenzo di Bonaventura, who produced the Hasbro-based hit Transformers, is producing G.I. Joe. alongside the toy giant's Brian Goldner.

Paramount will release the film on Aug. 7, 2009.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6653

I am officially against this movie now. Marlan Wayans? Seriously? Did they see Little Man?

• 3 weeks later...
First mentioned by Latino Review as being up for the role, Ain't It Cool News is now saying it has confirmed that Channing Tatum has landed the lead role of Duke in director Stephen Sommers' big screen G.I. Joe adaptation, which Paramount will release in theaters on August 7, 2009.

Tatum has starred in such films as She's the Man, Step Up and A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints. His upcoming films include Stop-Loss and Fighting.

He'll be joining Sienna Miller, Ray Park, Rachel Nichols, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Said Taghmaoui, Marlon Wayans and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the cast for the action-adventure.

The film, based on the Hasbro property, is set to start shooting next month in Los Angeles.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41325

First mentioned by Latino Review as being up for the role, Ain't It Cool News is now saying it has confirmed that Channing Tatum has landed the lead role of Duke in director Stephen Sommers' big screen G.I. Joe adaptation, which Paramount will release in theaters on August 7, 2009.

Tatum has starred in such films as She's the Man, Step Up and A Guide to Recognizing Your Saints. His upcoming films include Stop-Loss and Fighting.

He'll be joining Sienna Miller, Ray Park, Rachel Nichols, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Said Taghmaoui, Marlon Wayans and Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the cast for the action-adventure.

The film, based on the Hasbro property, is set to start shooting next month in Los Angeles.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41325

Isn't 27 a little young for Duke?

Dennis Quaid and Arnold Vosloo have joined director Stephen Sommers' G.I. Joe cast, according to Variety and IESB.net.

Quaid will play General Hawk, the grizzled team leader, and Arnold Vosloo will play Zartan, a mercenary who works with Destro and Cobra. The action-adventure, coming to theaters on August 7, 2009, is scheduled to shoot next month in Los Angeles.

The two join the previously-announced Channing Tatum (Duke), Ray Park (Snake Eyes), Marlon Wayans (Ripcord), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Rex), Rachel Nichols (Scarlett), Sienna Miller (The Baroness), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje Heavy Duty), Said Taghmaoui (Breaker) abd Byung-hun Lee (Storm Shadow) in the live-action feature.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6728

The villains are now complete…yesterday we brought you the news that Arnold "The Mummy" Vosloo would portray Zartan in the new G.I. Joe film and now we've got DESTRO!

Everyone knows Destro, even if you don't know the comics very well you must know the animated series theme song "…fighting Cobra and Destro, G.I. Joe!" The question is, who will bring this madman to life in Stephen Sommers' big screen adaptation of the Real American Hero?

Well, the IESB has got your answer…Destro has been cast, it's David Murray.

David Murray, mainly an actor of theatre, has been described as a cross between Alan Rickman and Clive Owen. A strong, good-looking dark haired actor, it is said he can pull off the "aristocratic snob" perfectly.

And although Destro had a minor role in the original animated "G.I. Joe: The Movie," he is the main baddie this time around.

In the comics and the animated series, Destro’s full name is James McCullen Destro XXIV, and is Laird of Castle Destro in the Scottish Highlands.

He is currently the head of M.A.R.S. (Military Armament Research Syndicate) and wears a mask forged from Beryllium Steel.

His sense of honor, calm and cool demeanor and love for the Baroness character are his key traits. As a businessman, Destro is cutthroat and unyielding. He uses his own troops, the Iron Grenadiers, and hires mercenaries to stir up conflict in dangerous regions, then sells weapons to those armies. Continuing a tradition started by the first masked Destro, he will even sell to both sides of the same war.

On the back of all your action figures at home, Destro is described by Hasbro as,

DESTRO is the faceless power behind Military Armaments Research System, the largest manufacturer of state-of-the-art weaponry. To DESTRO, war is man's most natural state: the fittest survive and the greatest technological advances are made. He maintains a luxurious lifestyle around the world. DESTRO provides high-tech arms to any side able to meet his price and will incite war where it does not exist. He dons his silver battle mask (a family tradition) and enters battle himself, either with COBRA Command (DESTRO is their major weapons supplier) or against them if it's better for business. DESTRO respects the G.I. JOE team for their combat skills and expertise, but abhors them for wasting such skills to maintain peace. He's totally dedicated to seeing them undermined, subverted, or destroyed!

David Murray has performed in New York, Los Angeles, Paris, Berlin, London, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Edinburgh, Strasbourg and all over Ireland in theatre, music and films such as Veronic Guerin, Hunted, Out of Season, The Prisoner, Flick, The Cassidys. and Cowboys & Angels and had a bit part in Batman Begins as the "Jumpy Thug".

For the theatre he has appeared in Dream, Macbeth, South Pacific, Riders to the Sea, The Plough and the Stars, Romeo and Juliet, A Slice of Saturday Night, The Forbidden Planet, Exiles, The Ginger Man, The Importance of Being Earnest and The Cherry Orchard.

David Murray joins Dennis Quaid (Hawk), Arnold Vosloo (Zartan), Channing Tatum (Duke), Sienna Miller (The Baroness), Ray Park (Snake Eyes), Rachel Nichols (Scarlett), Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje (Heavy Duty), Said Taghmaoui (Breaker), Marlon Wayans (Ripcord), Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Rex) and Byung-hun Lee (Storm Shadow) in the live action G.I Joe directed by Stephen Sommers set to be released August 7, 2009.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_c...0&Itemid=99

Did they just open the Hollywood phone book and start calling people to be in this movie?

Collider: You’re going to be playing General Hawk in G.I. Joe, can you talk about how you came to that project and what’s that going to be all about?

Dennis Quaid: They offered it to me about a month ago and I think it’ll be a lot of fun to do.

Q: Why?

Dennis: Cause it’s G.I. Joe. We grew up with G.I. Joe and it’s kind of a cartoon thing…it’s a big popcorn type of tent pole action movie that…it’s not deep. The character of General Hawk that I’m playing is kind of a cross between Chuck Yeager and Sgt. Rock and maybe a naïve Hugh Hefner thrown in there. General Hawk’s aide to camp is a Victoria Secret supermodel so how serious can it be?

Collider: A lot of people are wondering how you’re going to do the bloodless action? Is it going to be rated R? There have been a lot of question from fans about how the material will be handled.

Dennis: I don’t know…how do they do Spider-Man without blood. It’s kind of the same deal.

Collider: So you said you’re starting next week, have you done any sort of rehearsals or have you had to train on any weapons? And could you tell us what the movie is about?

Dennis: It’s set a little bit in the future, and in a way the Joe’s are an international sort of special forces type of group that mainly fights these terrorists groups that spring up. It’s really more like James Bond than it would be about…yeah it’s more like James Bond. And with the group being Spectre – there is this evil mastermind who is behind it. I think it’s going to be more like the old James Bond’s - like the Dr. No’s - where the mastermind has his own private island and all these people are wearing matching coveralls.

Q: Are you going to have a flattop as General Hawk?

Dennis: No, I don’t think so. I’m Special Forces I can do anything I want. (laughter in the room). I’m actually thinking about going a little blond.

Collider: So you haven’t really done any training or anything for the role?

Dennis: I’m actually lifting, trying to look like the cartoon.

Collider: How long are you shooting for?

Dennis: I only have two weeks of work over five weeks for this one. But it’s hopefully going to be a franchise – three movies.

Collider: So you signed on for a three picture kind of thing.

Dennis: Yeah.

Collider: Thanks.

Dennis: You bet.

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/inte...aid/6901/tcid/1

Someone needs to remind him that Spider-Man doesn't run around shooting people. To compare the violence of the two franchises is stupid.

First reported by IESB and later confirmed by The Hollywood Reporter, Christopher Eccleston has been cast as the villainous Destro in Paramount's G.I. Joe. The actor's credits include 28 Days Later, "Heroes" and "Doctor Who."

Irish-born actor David Murray originally had been set for the role, but withdrew from the film because of visa issues. Stephen Sommers is directing the latest script written by Stuart Beattie.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6783