G.I. Joe

I loved the movie. It has hot girls, loads of action, and cool technology. If you are looking for a good story, you probably shouldn't be expecting it in a movie based on a cartoon/comic that was based on a toy.

What surprised me was how many people died gruesome deaths in a PG-13 movie. People are set on fire, blown up, shot in the eye, impaled, and more.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I just saw the film.

It wasn't exactly "crap;" it was just "ehh."

The effects were shoddy, though considering just how many of them they had in the film, that's not surprising. I almost wonder if Hasbro mandated "YOU MUST HAVE 349 DIFFERENT TYPES OF VEHICLES, AND THEY MUST APPEAR IN 587 DIFFERENT SHOTS OF THE FILM."

The story was really weird. I mean, they took a relatively simple story from the animated series and made it into something vastly more complicated.

I think my biggest complaint is that the movie moves so fast that you don't get to savor anything. The Snake Eyes/Storm Shadow fights could have been amazing, but they were so tightly cut that they ended up just being shallow.

There was definitely a surprising amount of violence, though. At one point you actually see the slashed-up chest of a guy, open sword-wounds and all.

Plenty of swearing, too. In every action scene, "shit" is yelled at least five times. That's no big deal for a war film, but this is practically a live-action cartoon. I'm not sure what their target audience is.

Overall, I'd give it a 5/10, though only because I really have no idea how to critically analyze the jumble-of-a-film.

After Transformers I decided to promise my brain a better class of film but I'm oddly intrigued by this thing. It strikes me as a spiritual sequel to Street Fighter: The Movie more than anything. I'm considering watching just for the good cast (Gordon-Levitt & Ecclestone) and the unintentional hilarity of a live action team america.

I just got out of the movie, having fully expected to hate it. I... didn't. Basically, I turned off that part of my brain that wanted to scream "Duke is a Sgt, not a captain!" and appreciated it as a big dumb summer action blockbuster.

I just got out of the movie, having fully expected to hate it. I... didn't. Basically, I turned off that part of my brain that wanted to scream "Duke is a Sgt, not a captain!" and appreciated it as a big dumb summer action blockbuster.

Good for you, sir. I wished many times that I had the ability to do the same.

• 2 months later...

I actually really enjoyed it. Then again, I watched Transformers 2 last week. After eating a week-old rotting turd, a slice of bologna is going to taste like a perfectly cooked and seasoned T-Bone steak.

G.I. Joe was faithful to the cartoon and they even used the "knowing is half the battle" catch phrase. I wasn't thrilled with the Baroness' face turn, though. She's so much cooler when she's evil. At least they had the sense to keep Storm Shadow evil. I can't imagine what they were thinking with that face turn, all those years ago.

• 2 weeks later...