Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's apparently no "Episode VII" in the title. Interesting.

Also, in this first promo image, the emphasis is on STAR WARS, not the new title or the episode number, as has been the case for every movie since Empire Strikes Back.

qg9t4h3xes67pv9469vw.jpg

In any case, I think the title maybe lacks a little impact, but it's roughly on the same level as A New Hope, so whatever. I like it on the whole. It's certainly better than the main rumored title, "An Ancient Evil."

It's certainly better than the main rumored title, "An Ancient Evil."

Is it though?

It seems to me to be the most generic title they could have come up with.

I'm putting money that the second or third will have "Rise" in the title. Rise of the Sith. Rise of the Jedi. Dawn of the Ewok. Bantha Begins.

It's a fine title, there is absolutely nothing inherently wrong with it. I'm just a little disappointed that it doesn't have the "movie-serial" quality of the originals, sounds more like an EU book title. But four years from now, we'll all be throwing it around like all the others. It serves its purpose and has absolutely no impact on the overall quality of the movie.

The Star Wars subtitles range from generically pulpy (ROTJ, ROTS) to outright godawful (pretty much all of the others). Thirty-plus years of having lived with The Empire Strikes Back takes the edge off of how terrible a title it really is.

It's certainly better than the main rumored title, "An Ancient Evil."

Is it though?

It seems to me to be the most generic title they could have come up with.

"An Ancient Evil [Rises/Awakens/whatever]" has been used in TONS of recent sci-fi and fantasy over the last few years. It was the tagline for Halo 4.

At the very least, "The Force Awakens" implies the return of the central concept of Star Wars, which literally signals "Star Wars is back." It makes sense.

It never even occurred to me how weird a title The Empire Strikes Back was until someone pointed it out to me. I guess when you're a kid you don't really think about it.

The nice thing about most of the Star Wars titles (aside from TPM and ANH) is that they're active; they describe something happening, which fits Star Wars' emphasis on story-through-action really well. "Awakens" is a little soft, but it still works.