Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing: Disney has a VERY full slate for the Summer already. The only place I could see it working in the summer would be either in August or switching it with one of their other films that would be playing to the same demographic. The only one I could see them honestly doing that with would be Ant-Man.

I agree. Apparently Abrams is freaking out and wants the movie to just come out already so it stands less of a chance of getting 100% spoiled beforehand.

However, I don't think Marvel wants to push Ant-Man back to the winter, and that's Disney's billion dollar franchise right now.

I think if anything, Abrams wants Star Wars to actually come out when Star Wars is supposed to come out. Star Wars did kind of create the Summer movie blockbuster franchise thing. But it's kinda late to jump into that party this year.

Also, Disney would have to basically kick the Star Wars marketing into high gear starting now, which might throw a wrench into their careful plan of having Avengers dominate the zeitgeist in the first half of the year and Star Wars dominate the second.

You can't really blame the planning of it all on Abrams. He has a valid point, especially if the movie is done enough where he feels it would be ready by summer. There's almost a science to how movies are scheduled in the Summer. Most weekends, you have one movie that's almost sure to dominate that weekend with maybe one or two alternatives. No one schedules two blockbusters face to face in the summer because neither will do as well at the box office. Looking at Disney here, Avengers is due out at the beginning of May, no competition. End of the month, Tomorrowland is out, it's big competition being Spy, a more adult, action-comedy. Avengers has had some time to boil down so Disney has no problem with having a new property out. On it's fourth week, we have Inside Out, a Pixar film with it's competition being the new Transporter film. Not only that, but it's also planned out to be the only real family film for awhile with Jurassic World on one side and Ted 2 on the other.

Back to the point, four weeks later, Ant-Man, it's major competition being a Judd Apatow film (co-written by Amy Schumer I might add. I know which one I'm seeing). By this point, Avengers it probably at the second-run theaters so it's not even competing with itself. Hell, it's different enough from Tomorrowland that it's not competing with that either. But, if they were to follow this formula to schedule Star Wars, that throws it into the Middle of August where it has way too much competition and no one wants to be the one to flinch. End of August/Early September would be the best place to schedule it if they did do a Summer Release but you're so late so why even bother? Kids are going back to school and suddenly your audience has cut by a large per cent. Films like Star Wars need kids catching it at the matinees, teens going on a boring afternoon, families going because it is so fucking hot outside.

What I'm basically saying is that Hollywood has a crazy formula that makes perfect sense when you stare at it too long.

Yeah, they'd have to delay something else. Tomorrowland might be the best option, since it has that family-adventure vibe that can do well in the Christmas movie season. But still, Disney wouldn't have the opportunity to build the Star Wars hype train to maximum until December like they've been planning, so at the end of the day it may not be worth the trouble.

• 1 month later...

That's definitely true, although Luke's character arc was pointed towards him being a Jedi, with the soldier/pilot thing being secondary. If the movie is titled Rogue One, I'd expect it to largely focus on that element. Buuuut then again maybe just maybe it's a bit too soon to speculate or judge.

The thing about a good actor is that you can put them in any role and they'll make the most of what they're given and, sometimes, go above and beyond. Look at Emily Blunt! I don't think anyone could have predicted she would be as made of win in Edge of Forever as she was and now she's a swirl in Carol Danvers rumors.

Alexandre Desplat will be scoring Rogue One.

His best-known genre score is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, parts 1 and 2. He's pretty incredible, able to do both subtle and over-the-top themes really well. Hell, he even made one of the Twilight movie scores better than it had any right to be.

EDIT:

Oh, and he's an Oscar winner. That was probably more important to mention than Twilight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...