Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find refreshing is that we've had approximately 2-3 trailers and we are no closer to knowing anything about the plot from them. Whether they can get away with it because it's Star Wars or they're practicing a revolutionary new tactic of letting the audience get the plot from the movie, I wish more trailers did that.

What I can gather from the trailer:

Luke never rebuilt the Jedi order. He is the only one left and the force is just a myth. The title means that the force once again awakens in people, and I imagine they have to find Luke to learn how to use it. Luke is the Yoda of this movie, and probably won't be in the first half.

I get that, from a story perspective and it's very solid. From a marketing perspective, it's baffling. Luke is the protagonist of the original films. I get that Mark Hamill doesn't have Harrison Ford's star power, but the utter absence of the guy who built the franchise is jarring.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

About two hours prior, check whatever site you ordered your ticket from. If your showing is sold out, definitely an hour before if you want to have your choice of seats. Otherwise, maybe a half hour. If you don't care where you sit, five minutes but remember that you give up the right to complain if you're at the back of the theater or the very front row.

Also, concessions will be a nightmare. If you're going with someone else, go and stake out your seats first then either take turns grabbing snacks or give your money to them. If you're going it alone, definitely show up a little earlier.

Finally, feel free to converse with your fellow movie patrons before the film starts. You'll get some interesting conversations out of them. Opening Night crowds tend to be a little different. Most will get more into the movie, clap for awesome shit, and occasionally pull out a zinger if the movie is getting really bad. I remember someone yelling a line about Peter Parker being emo during Spider-Man 3.