Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

After reading Darth Vader Annual #1 (thoughts in 843), I realized Darth Vader never starts a lightsaber battle.

Revenge of the Sith
Obi-Wan draws his saber on the newly named Darth Vader, causing Vader to ignite his. It's hard to tell from the editing, but I think Obi-Wan strikes first, too.

Star Wars
Vader is waiting for Obi-Wan, saber ignited, but Obi-Wan strikes first.

The Empire Strikes Back
Vader is waiting for Luke, but his saber is not on. Luke lights his and strikes first.

Return of the Jedi
Vader only ignites his saber to stop Luke from killing The Emperor.

While he does kill the young Jedi in Sith and intimidates Luke with is own saber in Jedi, I can't think of a single lightsaber battle Darth Vader begins. (This might not apply to pre-Vader Anakin.) Am I missing any?

Edit: The only difference I can spot is in the cave on Dagobah. Luke lights before Vader, but Vader swings first. However, this isn't a real battle, so it does not count.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It also makes him come across as the most even-tempered Force-user since Qui-Gon Jinn. Darth Maul, Luke, and even Obi-Wan channel their anger in fights. And while Yoda might not present his anger, he's downright cocky against Dooku, and is easily frustrated by Luke.

When you think about it, not only did Anakin / Vader bring balance to The Force by leaving only two Sith and two Jedi alive, he also brought balance to his own personal use of The Force by becoming meditative in his anger. After the "NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!" moment, he's accepted his fate and is no longer the impulsive young man he once was; he's just as contemplative as Qui-Gon Jinn, except he's on the other end of the Force light spectrum.

It also makes him come across as the most even-tempered Force-user since Qui-Gon Jinn. Darth Maul, Luke, and even Obi-Wan channel their anger in fights. And while Yoda might not present his anger, he's downright cocky against Dooku, and is easily frustrated by Luke.

When you think about it, not only did Anakin / Vader bring balance to The Force by leaving only two Sith and two Jedi alive, he also brought balance to his own personal use of The Force by becoming meditative in his anger. After the "NNNNOOOOOOOOOO!" moment, he's accepted his fate and is no longer the impulsive young man he once was; he's just as contemplative as Qui-Gon Jinn, except he's on the other end of the Force light spectrum.

And we see what a petulant child his grandkid becomes when he doesn't get what he wants.  Granted going through a line of succession of Admirals in Empire could be considered on that level tantrum wise, but yeah, you never really see or hear the Prowse/Jones Vader throw hissy fits and smash things up.

• 3 weeks later...

The short list for actors in the running to play young Han Solo:

Miles Teller (Whiplash)

Ansel Elgort, (Insurgent, The Fault in Our Stars)

Dave Franco (21 Jump Street)

Jack Reynor (Transformers: Age of Extinction)

Scott Eastwood (Gran Torino, Fury)

Logan Lerman (3:10 to Yuma, Fury)

Emory Cohen (Brooklyn, The Place Beyond the Pines)

Blake Jenner (Glee)

If Miles Teller gets it the internet will explode. He is hated by most people.

It's not for his acting, but for his asshole behavior. How much is actually warranted, I don't know. I don't know anything about the guy.

It's not for his acting, but for his asshole behavior. How much is actually warranted, I don't know. I don't know anything about the guy.

Apart from him being hated by most people. Personally, I don't think that he bears enough of a resemblance to Harrison Ford. 

• 3 weeks later...

Something I suddenly thought about: Leia and Han named their kid Ben, presumably after Obi-Wan. Only problem to me: Leia never met the man and Han knew him for like five minutes and part of that was spent ridiculing his religous beliefs. Luke is the one with a personal connection. I dunno, just a random nitpick.

I had a similar thought, but, if you recall, Leia specifically called for Obi-Wan Kenobi's help via R2-D2.

My guess is that Obi-Wan either had secret meetings with Bail Organa (for which a young Princess Leia was present), or Bail spoke so highly of Ben it stuck with her through the years. The reason I'm prone to go with the former is she was being raised to succeed her adopted mother and father as ruler of Alderaan. As such, they would have included her in some (if not all) diplomatic meetings -- even those with a Jedi-in-hiding, knowing he could be a powerful ally. Along those lines, Bail knew of Luke's existence. So it would not surprise me if he wanted his daughter to meet Kenobi so that he might one day reunite brother and sister.

Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is written and directed by Rian Johnson and continues the storylines introduced in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, welcomes back cast members Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, and Andy Serkis.  New cast members will include Academy Award winner Benicio Del Toro, Academy Award nominee Laura Dern, and talented newcomer Kelly Marie Tran.