Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

To be technical, specifically only the 3D releases of Episodes II and III are canned. The OT should still be coming.

It kind of sucks, actually, since it would have been really cool to see the Clone Wars on the big screen again. The opening scene of Revenge of the Sith would have been incredible. Some of it was screened at last year's Star Wars Celebration and it had a hugely positive response, with people taking specific note of how much better it looked than the almost-non-3D Phantom Menace release.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boba Fett is one rung above Tom Bombadil as far as side characters with an undeserved giant fan base as far as I'm concerned. As for a Solo origin film, I am so meh on that idea that its not even funny unless it has cameos by Itchy and has an hour spent on Wookie taxation laws spoken entirely in Wookie. Then it has my attention.

Boba Fett can end up being any number of things depending on how they handle it. It could be a gunslinger western, it could be an espionage action-type story, or it could be a character-based action drama. Going off what they've done in The Clone Wars with the Mandalorian Death Watch and Boba Fett himself, there's a lot of great stuff to mine. At the very least, though, it's plenty of potential for fun.

The Han Solo film, though, has great potential for all kinds of depth. Han's origin (provided they go with the "commonly known" origin for him) involves him growing up as a street thief, becoming an Imperial pilot at their top academy, then having to rebel against the Empire and go on the run in order to save the then-enslaved Chewbacca's life. That's pretty great stuff there.

The Boba Fett trilogy of novels was pretty amazing, picking up with him in the Sarlacc Pit. I'd love to see that adapted. I don't have high hopes. Unless this leads to a crossover film with General Solo facing off against a scarred naked aged Boba Fett on his last mission like that short story in the Tales of the Bounty Hunters anthology.

I don't see either of these happening.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Realistically, since the movies have been about The Fall and Redemption of Darth Vader, it would only make sense for the Sequel Trilogy to deal with either legacy or the Rebirth. One of the Solo children is the reincarnation of Anakin Skywalker and they have to deal with the idea, "Can I be redeemed, can I break the cycle of falling to the dark side?"

Ford's role should consist solely of him and Leia walking in, he says something snarky and walks back out. Just nod to the characters. There is no need to have him actually do anything.

I'm sure Ford will be down for this. For millions of dollars of course.

He's earned it. I just don't want him ruining the character. Same with Carrie Fisher.

• 1 month later...

Clone Wars' cancellation sort of makes sense. Their contract with Cartoon Network was up, and for Disney to pick it up, they'd have to start airing it in its sixth (continuity-heavy) season. Also, it's a very very very expensive show to make; they need merchandise sales just to make it profitable. (and I'm pretty sure toy sales were declining. There's only so many times you can sell figures of the same several characters over five years)

The thing that sucks about it is that they didn't have time to actually finish out the storylines for a ton of characters, so now there's half a dozen major plot threads that won't be resolved.

Detours never made any sense to me in the first place. Seth Green says they fully produced 40 episodes of it already that are sitting on the shelf. Doing the math, that means that Lucasfilm has produced more content, minute for minute, of parody material than there is in the six films themselves. The entire show seemed like it was made on a whim by Lucas, just because it might be fun. It really makes no sense to air it now that a whole new trilogy is coming in a relatively short time.

They have two story arcs still in development for TCW, but the current word is that they won't give resolution to Asajj Ventress, Cad Bane, Darth Maul, or Ahsoka (if you think she still needs resolution after the S5 finale). They're literally just finishing up the last few stories that they were working on at the time of TCW's cancellation. Fans are pissed; there's a massive "Save The Clone Wars" letter-writing campaign directed at Bob Iger right now.

As for the future of Lucasfilm animation, the only official word is that (A) whatever new series comes out, it will be in a new era untouched by SW film and TV to this point, (B) it is still in the planning stages of development, and © Dave Filoni is still going to be running it, though this time independent of George (by George's own plan).

All the rumors are pointing to it being set after ROTJ, and it will act as a bridge into the new trilogy. I'd be happy with that if it were the case.