Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've long thought they should chop off the post trilogy EU. Too complicated, too tricky to justify and not worth the hassle. Why tie a potential audiance of hundred of millions to books that only a few hundred thousand ever came close to keeping up with. I mean, the Thrawn books were huge but I'm betting the numbers that finished everything past the Vong is pretty small.

I love the EU dearly, but if it were largely wiped out in favor of a newer, fresher universe with this all-new trilogy, I'd be okay with that.

And in any case, the EU always had the problem of little-to-no George Lucas involvement. It seemed like in the prequel era, George was missing the positive things he gained from the more collaborative creative process in the OT, while the EU had the problem of rarely going mythic enough to be entirely worthy of the Star Wars name. Realistically they should have been working together the entire time, but George didn't want to do that. From what Lucasfilm has said recently, though, future Star Wars continuity should work properly between all mediums, because JJ is actually willing to play ball with everyone else.

• 3 weeks later...

Filming has started and Peter Mayhew is returning as Chewbacca.

And with that, the EU is effectively jettisoned into a continuity separate from the films. At least until someone write a novel about Chewbacca getting cloned or something. I'm just happy that this should end all the "They should film Thrawn. Who's playing Thrawn? Thrawn Thrawn Thrawn-cakes!"

The EU has been such a mess for so long that they really couldn't do a straight up rehash of it. I like a lot of it, especially anything by Zahn and (to a lesser extent) Stackpole, but there's a lot of tedious shit in there and the Yuuzhan Vong can eat a fart. Three things of value originated in the novels:

1) Thrawn.

2) Mara Jade.

3) Literally nothing else.

The decision to not adapt the EU will make a lot of fanboys lose their shit, and this is by no means a bad thing.

I'm catching up on Clone Wars and I've had moral issues with the show before, but this padawan lightsaber crystal quest takes the cake. They fly a bunch of kids to some ice caves, give them a deadline where they need to get in and find their crystal before the waterfall over the entrance freezes and then abandon them to hunt through these incredibly dangerous caves by themselves. I'd sooner entrust children to the care of the Catholic church than the jedi, at least they probably won't be sealed in an ice cave in some absurd ritual nonsense.

To be fair, a lot of what was in those crystal caves was implied to be not real, sorta like a very mild version of the tree cave on Dagobah. Also, Yoda was there; it's hard to imagine that the kids were in actual life-threatening danger. Not to mention that there is the Force to consider, which probably affects what happens there to a great degree.

But yeah, I mean, Jedi are a little out-there. It's no coincidence that they end up dying out because of their own stupidity.

Ok, the black saber thingy that Maul took from the Deathwatch is awesome.

I'm really starting to see the jedi as being analagous to the brownshirt leadership in Nazi Germany and Order 66 as the Night of Long Knives. The Jedi are self important, shady as hell, practically unaccountable and perfectly fine with being part of a fascistic system right up until the point where it doesn't include them. I mean, Ahsoka throws a fit when Jedi are removed from the military but the question has to be asked, how come every jedi gets automatic military ranks with no military experience and why do they have the ability to arrest and hold people in the temple when clearly jurisdiction-wise they are a total grey area.

Basically, who put the jedi in charge? It's like the House of freakin M with force users instead of Mutants, everyone else is a second class citizen.

This is part of a small nagging problem I've always had with the prequel trilogy. In the original, it's pretty clear who the good guys are and who the bad guys are. Hell, to some small extent, that's also true of Phantom Menace. It's after that point that everything becomes murky. The Separatist are the bad guys... because they're using droids and are against the Republic? The original series has us cheering for the Rebellion while the prequels discourage it without totally ever giving a good answer.

For that matter, as Stavros said, most of the Jedi are kinda dicks. I mean, they kinda have it coming. This is my biggest problem with the two trilogies. In the original, the difference between the light side and dark side is pretty much good and evil. Plain and simple. However, then we get the Jedi Council who define the light side as being all about suppressing your passion and emotions. Now it's forced into an ideological place. It's not good vs evil, it's suppression vs free-will and they want us to cheer for the side of pushing your feelings into a ball. It's no wonder that Anakin fucks them all up.

Exactly. I mean, the entire war is about people who are dissatisfied with the Republic and want to leave, so why not let them? They're traders principally, so why hasn't anyone pointed out the benefits to operating inside the Republic? Why in this complex political situation do I feel like there were barely any ties to break in the first place?

As for the jedi, if they were actually all about being in touch with and dealing with feelings over just suppressing them they might have a better outlook. Plus if they weren't celibate which ALWAYS fucks up organisations. It's not Anakin's fault that he turned to the dark side over his secret marriage, it's the Jedi's fault for forcing his relationship underground and making him feel like it was counter to their orthodoxy. If they'd been open he could have talked to Yoda about the prophecy, instead he has to turn to Palpatine.

All of that is largely the point of the story, in fact, though it wasn't necessarily as clear in the films. In the prequel era (specifically the Clone Wars), Palpatine has maneuvered the galaxy to a point where the Jedi are basically forced to be morally-gray. The Separatists and Republic are both made up largely of good people, but both are led by bad guys. The Separatists are "more bad" because the Separatist council is actually made up of mass murderers like Wat Tambor, but both are fighting an orchestrated war specifically made to make the Jedi lose their principles, their reputation, and their lives. It's not that the Jedi are terrible amoral people, they're just lost and fighting the wrong battles, literally.

I don't wanna get spoilery, but this is made a little more poignant in Clone Wars season 6.