Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucasfilm Director of Fan Relations Steve Sansweet revealed at the Chicago Comics and Entertainment Expo (C2E2) this weekend that the "Star Wars" films are coming to Blu-ray.

"We have been at work for a couple of years working on - I won't call it the Ultimate Set because we keep finding stuff - but, a very full set of all six movies on Blu-ray with lots of extra material," Sansweet told IGN. "We're finding all kinds of scenes from dailies that have never been seen before. Beyond all of those things that you know about… there are some real treasures."

While he wouldn't reveal when they will be released, he said "it won't be in the too distant future."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65313

If they don't include the original versions of the older ones, I won't buy them.

If they don't include the original versions of the older ones, I won't buy them.

I remember a quote from Sansweet at the last Chicago Comic-Con where he said that if/when the Star Wars Blu-Ray Saga comes out, it'll be essentially a mega-ultimate-awesome set, with pretty much every kind of extra feature and alternate version imaginable. I'd think that the original cuts of the films would fall into that category.

I remember a quote from Sansweet at the last Chicago Comic-Con where he said that if/when the Star Wars Blu-Ray Saga comes out, it'll be essentially a mega-ultimate-awesome set, with pretty much every kind of extra feature and alternate version imaginable. I'd think that the original cuts of the films would fall into that category.

I just bought the 6 films a few months ago, so, I'll be waiting for a damn fine deal on the set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Meh, I think Attack of the Clones is the worst, but Phantom Menace is still awful.

This.

Yeah, horrible American child cliche Anakin > Hayden Christenssen's pre-evil Anakin.

And I'm not being remotely sarcastic. Phantom Menace just had more hype behind it so its (critical) failure was more spectacular. That and Jar Jar Binks.

Is anyone saying otherwise???

Ah. There we go. I was wondering when we were going to go back to disagreeing on things.

See, I was nine when The Phantom Menace came out, so I didn't have the disappointed reaction to the film that older viewers had. Even then, I still thought "hmm, something's really missing from this film" (an interesting plot, relatable characters, etc.) but I still greatly enjoyed the movie with a kind of childlike wonder, and still do to a certain extent. It's not that I actually think that the film is great; I just don't think it's anywhere near as bad as the general geek community makes it out to be. At worst, it's somewhat bland. When you strip away the "personal/hype disappointment factor," I don't think it's quite a bad movie; it's just "there."

I actually think that—viewed objectively—there's just a tad more "good" than "bad."

screen-capture-11.png

^I pretty much agree with that general rating.^

There's also the fact that I'm so heavily invested in the Star Wars canon through novels, comics, and games, so when I watch any of the prequels, I'm not looking at the stiff acting or the fact that the cinematography is terribly boring whenever there's not a fight scene going on; I'm paying attention to the details of the underlying story and universe, and how they all work together. Sometimes, after talking to other friends of mine about the movie, I feel like we've watched two entirely separate films.

I'm not saying that the movie isn't a bland piece of filmmaking; I'm saying that I still think it's "okay," and I personally enjoy it on several levels. I generally don't argue with people when they say that they think it's a bad movie, because I understand that thousands or millions of people were and are genuinely disappointed by it on a personal level. That's something that can't be measured or argued.

I just don't really have those same issues.

Ha. I thought about that, but decided against it because (A) I wasn't going to do a point-by-point analysis of the whole movie, and (B) because he honestly doesn't bother me that much. I mean, I don't like him in the slightest, but he doesn't bring the movie down much for me. I think that's true for about 75% of the kids who grew up with TPM. Jar Jar is just Jar Jar. No one cares enough about him to hate him.

Meh, I think Attack of the Clones is the worst, but Phantom Menace is still awful.

This.

Yeah, horrible American child cliche Anakin > Hayden Christenssen's pre-evil Anakin.

And I'm not being remotely sarcastic. Phantom Menace just had more hype behind it so its (critical) failure was more spectacular. That and Jar Jar Binks.

I can watch Attack of the Clones. I can't watch Phantom Menace

I'm speaking of the people who were young kids at TPM's release, not the general public.

I actually have more problems with Attack of the Clones than TPM. Not enough to where I can't still really enjoy parts of it, but that's the only Star Wwars film that I ever walked out of feeling disappointed. Mostly because unlike TPM, AOTC actually tried to make the audience feel strong emotion. But instead of feeling sympathy or affection towards Anakin and Padmé, the audience felt more annoyance. So, yeah. AOTC is by far the worst-made Star Wars film, and it's the one that I feel has the least redeeming qualities. I still like it alright, but it does irk me quite a bit.