Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

The two headed commentator from Episode I?

I'd actually pay to see that guy do a MST3K-style commentary on the entire saga.

It's not surprising that the theatrical released of the films aren't there. From what we know, they never did any HD remastering of those versions, so the DVDs are still the best out there.

I'm actually a little upset that the epic documentary from the DVD trilogy box set, Empire of Dreams, isn't there. I'd rather not have to dig out my old DVD and put it in whenever I wanna watch that. Still, though, an 84-minute doc on the 501st Legion?! Awesome!

Lucas doesn't acknowledge those versions anymore.

He acknowledges them, he just doesn't want to spend the extra something-million to properly upgrade them because the new ones are the ones he wants people to see.

I think the only reason they were ever released on DVD is that he already had the laserdisc versions just sitting around and it didn't cost Lucasfilm a thing to convert them over to DVD and slap 'em in the single-film DVD sets as a bonus disc.

• 3 weeks later...

He actually says that they still need to find a cost-effective way to shoot it, so it looks like nothing's filmed but they've got the scripts already completed. I actually think I remember hearing the writing process was done a few years back; they've been sitting on it for a long time.

• 3 weeks later...

We have some news about the upcoming Star Wars TV show from Rick McCallum, producer of the second trilogy. Of course, the news is just like the Force: it has a light side and a dark side.

McCallum said that he has 50 hours of third-draft script (not 50 hours of film, as previously reported) and that Lucasfilm has chosen the Czech Republic as one of the show's locations. Lucasfilm already has a relationship with the Czech Film Commission; both Young Indiana Jones and the George Lucas' upcoming movie Red Tails were filmed in the Czech Republic.

Sounds great. But now the bad news.

McCallum told The Czech Position that Lucasfilm wouldn't be ready to start production for three to four years. And even then, he's not sure if the television show could be made:

"Network television and cable television as we know it are completely imploding, so we're not really sure that in five years' time we can release a dramatic one-hour episode because it is all reality TV now," he added.

There's other news, but whether it's bad or good depends on a certain point of view. McCallum gave us a look into what the series is really about:

"Basically, it is like The Godfather; it's the Empire slowly building up its power base around the galaxy, what happens in Coruscant, which is the major capital, and it's [about] a group of underground bosses who live there and control drugs, prostitution," McCallum said.

http://blastr.com/2011/06/good-news-and-bad-news-ab.php

It sounds like he needs to take it to HBO.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Why do any of this? It's not like anyone gave a shit that Ewoks didn't blink. All it does it take you out of the movie, the same as the first time he re-did these things.

All he seems to be doing is altering shit for the sake of it. Thank fuck Francis Ford Coppola didn't go back and re-edit the Godfather every ten years, or we might have Don Corleone being hit with 50 bullets instead of 5, or a cgi flashback of Michael's military service.

Why do any of this? It's not like anyone gave a shit that Ewoks didn't blink. All it does it take you out of the movie, the same as the first time he re-did these things.

Because he wants to tweak it until he has what he wants the Star Wars films to be. That or with every new addition, he can put out a new version of the films, that people, no matter how much they complain, will end up buying.

The Ewok eyes thing is kind of unnecessary, but I don't really care either way.

Also, that poor puppeteer must be pissed that he can't show his kids what he did in Episode I anymore.

Frank Oz? I think he's doing okay. Actually, he was the one who said he preferred the CG version in TPM.

Did he do the puppeteering also? I figured he just did the voice for the prequels.