Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars...

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get excited just yet. Disney bought the treatments for three SW movies as part of this deal. Treatments likely penned by George Lucas.

Treatments as in "outlines." Outlines done by George are perfectly fine. Hell, often times they're brilliant. Look at the basic outline of Revenge of the Sith, for instance, then look at what Matthew Stover did with it in the ROTS novelization. George's fault isn't generally in his ideas; it's his execution. If these films are all directed (and hopefully written) by others, it's the best of both worlds: Lucas's grand epic stories, tempered by quality execution, a la Empire Strikes Back.

I would LOVE to see the Admiral Thrawn Trilogy, though it brings up something else. All those authors of the SW novels were pretty much safe knowing Lucas would never turn one of their stories into a film because he's too close to the franchise to allow that kind of creative control. Bet they're all a little freaked out right now, now that there is a treasure trove of content with which Disney can make billions of dollars on movie ticket sales alone without having to buy the rights to the pre-created stories.

I actually got to talk with Timothy Zahn about this in person last year; his view is that Lucasfilm can do whatever the hell they want with the stuff he's created. He'd prefer it if they didn't crap all over his work, but getting to see Mara Jade, Thrawn, and the rest on-screen is worth it all.

A friend of mine just pointed out this to me on Facebook: Disney has just given themselves the mother of all bargaining chips with 20th Century Fox. They have, effectively, taken the ball out of their court as far as further distribution of Star Wars goes. This gives Disney an excellent chance to broker a deal to get Fantastic Four and X-Men back.

I'm super excited by this news and I'm not even close to as big a Star Wars fan as many on here. This actually makes me want to just go read the Thrawn Trilogy.

I'm not an Expanded Universe guy by any stretch, but the Thrawn trilogy is excellent.

I'm super excited by this news and I'm not even close to as big a Star Wars fan as many on here. This actually makes me want to just go read the Thrawn Trilogy.

I'm not an Expanded Universe guy by any stretch, but the Thrawn trilogy is excellent.

I've heard it's awesome, and maybe after I graduate in December, I can pick them up and read the whole trilogy.

Okay, now that we've all had a day to process our thoughts, let's discuss what we want from a new Star Wars film. A source has said that the new Trilogy is going to be original. Here are some of my hopes.

1) The only characters from the original trilogy that I really want to see in any capacity are Luke and the Droids. Carrie Fisher maybe but Harrison Ford has grown a little too much. Luke can stay, maybe having started a new Jedi Order, training his son when a new threat to Galactic peace emerges.

2) Kick-ass female main characters. One of the Jedi could be Luke's daughter. The head of the new Sith is powered by evil and estrogen. We meet an awesome female bounty hunter. Anyone!

3) No cute side-characters designed for comic relief/toys. We have the droids for that.

4) No politics. We got enough of that in the prequels.

5) A Fucking Bothan. I know the.expanded universe showed one but still. For that matter, it should be possible to do this movie without invalidating the entire EU.

That's a nice gesture, although similar to Buffet, Gates, Zuckerberg and the rest, Lucas is so rich that giving away half his fortune won't actually change his own lifestyle one iota. These pledges are more evidence that these people are human than anything else, that at their core they aren't Super-villain Donald Trump types who would rather paint a pillar in their building with gold leaf than feed 100 starving children.