The Punisher

Missy

Oh my God! I just saw a two minute clip from The Punisher -- the scene where he has the bow and arrow -- and I have officially creamed my pants!

SPOILER

He shoots a man through the neck, and slits another guy's throat before blowing up a room full of guys! I was already hyped for the film, but this clip alone has me bouncing with anticipation!

If the film, opening Friday, proves a hit, Jane's been signed for two more, and the villain for Punisher 2 has already been set: Jigsaw. "He's this rageful guy who had his face horribly mutilated by The Punisher," said Jane. "He's all stitched up back together, but his whole shredded, scarred body looks like a jigsaw."
(source)

Yes! Yes! Fucking yes!

A part of me always hoped Travolta would survive to become Jigsaw, so there'd be this continuing feud between he and Castle. But any Jigsaw is better than no Jigsaw at all.

Yep. It wasn't anywhere as bad as the critics made it out to be. There are some spots where it really shows that this is Hensleigh's first shot at being director, but other than that I thought the movie turned out well. It managed to capture the overall mood of Garth Ennis's "Welcome Back, Frank" arc and mix it with a very Western feel. At one point there's a showdown in a lobby (scene from the trailer) that I was an homage to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Really fun. Go see it!

Yep. It wasn't anywhere as bad as the critics made it out to be. There are some spots where it really shows that this is Hensleigh's first shot at being director, but other than that I thought the movie turned out well. It managed to capture the overall mood of Garth Ennis's "Welcome Back, Frank" arc and mix it with a very Western feel. At one point there's a showdown in a lobby (scene from the trailer) that I was an homage to The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Really fun. Go see it!

As cool as that scene was, the movie couldn't decide if it wanted to be pulp, a western, or modern day action.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like The Punisher is coming back to the theaters at the same time as Spider-Man 2. Though no official reason has been released, many are speculating that LGF hope to catch the people who miss SM2 due to sold out theaters.

• 1 month later...
While the release of the DVD is a month away, news that it will feature a Garth Ennis/Steve Dillon prequel Frank Castle comic has leaked. Here's the cover:

PUNDVD001c1.jpg

So, buy the DVD and get a bonus book? Sounds cool to me, as I am honor bound to buy all of the major comic DVDs anyways.

• 1 month later...
'Man on Fire,' 'Punisher' come on strong

"Man on Fire," starring Denzel Washington, sold about 1.5 million combined DVD and VHS units Tuesday, its first day on retail shelves, according to 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment executives. While that sell-though number doesn't break any sales records for a live-action title, "Man on Fire's" first-day home video sales are performing on par with a $100 million-plus boxoffice film, a strong showing for a film with $78 million in domestic boxoffice. Lions Gate's "The Punisher," starring John Travolta, sold about 1.8 million combined DVD and VHS units during its first five days in release, according to studio executives. "The Punisher's" first-week sales figure makes it one of the top-selling live-action titles of the year respective to its $33 million domestic boxoffice take. Nielsen VideoScan ranked "The Punisher" as the nation No. 2-best-selling DVD its debut week, second to "The Passion of the Christ," for the week ending Sept. 12.