Chris Benoit dead

Dread

While I agree with everything you said, it might not be a bad thing if this pushes the WWE to really look into a steriod policy and actually attempt to enforce it. It's obvious that they're a lot of people in the wwe (and wrestling as a whole) that are using steriods. The rampant abuse of steriods(and painkillers) are whats killing the stars of the eighties in thier forties. Obviously something has to be done about it, and while this horrific event had nothing to do with steriods, it might be the one thing that really pushes steriods to the fringes of wrestling.

You're connecting dots that only form lines, not a picture. You yourself admit that steroids had nothing to do with these deaths, yet go on to say that it might purge steroid usage from wrestling. I don't see how one can lead to the other if there's no connection. That would be like me saying, "The picture fell off the wall and broke because the hook was weak. I think I'll buy a sturdier frame." One plus one isn't equaling two in this case.

While I agree with everything you said, it might not be a bad thing if this pushes the WWE to really look into a steriod policy and actually attempt to enforce it. It's obvious that they're a lot of people in the wwe (and wrestling as a whole) that are using steriods. The rampant abuse of steriods(and painkillers) are whats killing the stars of the eighties in thier forties. Obviously something has to be done about it, and while this horrific event had nothing to do with steriods, it might be the one thing that really pushes steriods to the fringes of wrestling.

You're connecting dots that only form lines, not a picture. You yourself admit that steroids had nothing to do with these deaths, yet go on to say that it might purge steroid usage from wrestling. I don't see how one can lead to the other if there's no connection. That would be like me saying, "The picture fell off the wall and broke because the hook was weak. I think I'll buy a sturdier frame." One plus one isn't equaling two in this case.

I agree with what you say, what I was trying to say is that the public outcry(mainly from media sensationalism) about steriods(especially if the toxicology report comes back positive) could force the issue. It could cause the right thing to happen for the wrong reasons. While steriods isn't the cause of what happen, a majority of people will believe that it is especially with the way the media is steering the ship.

The Spice Girls just announced a reunion tour. Bush is refusing to hand subpoenaed documents over to Congress. Two people have been arrested in connection to the abduction of Madeleine McCann. Benoit murdering his family is now old news. Unless it comes back that Benoit was on super-kill-your-family-steroids at the time of the murders or there is a steroid-related wrestling death in the very near future, there will be no further outcry.

The Spice Girls just announced a reunion tour. Bush is refusing to hand subpoenaed documents over to Congress. Two people have been arrested in connection to the abduction of Madeleine McCann. Benoit murdering his family is now old news. Unless it comes back that Benoit was on super-kill-your-family-steroids at the time of the murders or there is a steroid-related wrestling death in the very near future, there will be no further outcry.

Thank you for outlining the way the world works. That is exactly what's going to happen. It may drag out a little longer up here in the Great White North but with Conrad Black about to go to American jail, it's about to be old news up here too.

I thought that the "Sports Entertainment" moniker is what made their usage ok?

Spice girls are having a reunion tour? Sweet! um what were we talking about?

MSNBC's Scarborough Country is devoting the whole show to the Benoit tragedy right now. They have Marc Mero, and Steve Blackman on. It's actually a very good show. He keeps trying to lead them to blame steroids, and they won't do it. It will be replayed later tonight for those with DVRs.

edit: Holy crap! Did you hear that about the Wikipedia for Benoit was updated that his wife died 14 hours before the bodies were found? They traced the IP to Stanford.

Remember, leading up to the revelation of the murders, the rumor was that Chris went home because Nancy and Daniel were ill. My guess is that this person read a wrestling news site that reported her dead despite the fact that she was supposedly only ill at the time. Wrestling "news" sites are filled with sensationalistic crap, so it wouldn't surprise me if this one reported "NANCY BENOIT DEAD! CHRIS MISSES HOUSE SHOW! SEE LITA TOPLESS!", thus leading to the weird edits.

Furthermore, the IP thing is wonky. Those can be faked so easily.

What I mean is, you can fake your IP. I can make it looks like my IP always leads to an account from New Jersey. This guy could have been doing this for a while now, possibly to make it look like the various edits he made (some to wrestling pages) were legit news from the WWE. When people see Stamford connected to wrestling, they automatically think of the WWE. That could be what he was going for.

Trust me, there's no way someone found out before the police and updated Wiki. Plus the edit he made said she died. There was no mention of murder. Thus leading back to my last post.

Fox News is reporting that an anonymous user out of Stamford, CT edited Chris Benoit's entry on Wikipedia to feature the comments, "However, Chris Benoit was replaced by Johnny Nitro for the ECW Championship match at Vengeance, as Benoit was not there due to personal issues, stemming from the death of his wife Nancy." The comments led to Wikipedia volunteers contacting Fayetteville, Georgia authorities.

However, the I.P. address in question also made a series of other edits to different entries, including former WWE Diva Stacy Keibler, WWE star Chavo Guerrero, NBA player Ron Artest and the HBO series The Sopranos. Many of the edits were misspelled or explicit in nature, leading one to believe that the postings were made by a hoaxer. You can read this person's past edits here.

Even though the IP address is being traced back to Stamford, CT, it's also entirely conceivable that the user was concealing his true IP address. One person who knows a lot about internet technology said, "They have software out there that you install on your computer that will change your IP address and location or origin that people will see on the Internet. IP spoofing is a little more technical so with this user, based on the grammar, looks to be someone young using a software program of that nature."

More than likely, this person made a wild guess regarding the Benoit situation at the time, and this person turned out to be right.

Just sounds like bad timing for a bad joke. At least I can imagine this goofball sitting in front of his computer when the police came knocking on his door asking questions.

edit: If they did a little research they would see that from his posts on Naugatuck, Connecticut, he probably is from there, and isn't using any IP spoof software.

I feel incredibly bad for all the attention this got because of the fact that what I said turned out to be the truth. Like I said it was just a major coincidence, and I will never vandalize anything on wikipedia or post wrongful information. I've learned from this experience. I just can't believe what I wrote was actually the case, I've remained stunned and saddened over it....

http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Chris_Benoit_m..._coincidence%22

• 2 months later...

As much as I hate bring this subject back up, I feel this is huge in the whole scheme of things.

Benoit's Brain Showed Severe Damage From Multiple Concussions, Doctor and Dad Say

The family of Chris Benoit has been searching for answers since late June, when the professional wrestler killed his wife, 7-year-old son and then himself.

At the crime scene, police found anabolic steroids prompting many to suspect that "roid rage" had accounted for Benoit's behavior, which his family found out of character for the 40-year-old.

His family now believes that new test results on Benoit's brain explain his vicious actions.

The tests, conducted by Julian Bailes of the Sports Legacy Institute, show that Benoit's brain was so severely damaged it resembled the brain of an 85-year-old Alzheimer's patient.

Bailes and his research team say that this damage was the result of a lifetime of chronic concussions and head trauma suffered while Benoit was in the wrestling ring.

Benoit's father, Michael Benoit, is speaking out in order to warn other athletes, both professional and student.

After hearing the news that his son had murdered his 7-year-old son, Daniel, and wife Nancy and then killed himself, Michael Benoit struggled to understand how it could have happened.

Michael says Benoit was a "kind and gentle" man who volunteered with the Make-A-Wish Foundation and visited U.S. troops overseas in Iraq.

"First we needed an understanding. The person that did this is not the man we know and love," Michael said today on "Good Morning America."

After the suicide and murders, Michael was contacted by a former wrestler, who suggested he investigate whether years of trauma to Benoit's brain could have contributed to his actions.

"I was grasping for anything," Michael told ABC News' Bob Woodruff. "The world was very black. I mean, we didn't even know how to deal with this."

So Michael turned over part of his son's brain to Bailes, the head of neurosurgery at West Virginia University and former Pittsburgh Steelers team physician.

Bailes and his research team had also analyzed the brains of former NFL players such as Andre Waters and Terry Long, who both committed suicide. Bailes and his colleagues theorize that repeated concussions can lead to dementia, which can contribute to severe behavioral problems.

"There is a constant theme in the failure of their personal lives, their business lives, depression and then ultimately suicide," Bailes said.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3560015&page=1