Most controversial moments in comics history

JackFetch

Sure that was controversial to fans, but on a global scale... not so much. Look at the ones listed in the article, they all focus on stories non-comic readers could grasp: drugs, homophobia, terrorism, censorship.

I'm not calling your choice wrong; I'm just pointing out it wasn't even a blip on the larger Controversy Scaleâ„¢. To find those moments, we need to look beyond comics and at the real world. How did it change the way people perceive the medium, characters, creators and readers? When you hear the average schmo talking about comics, especially something shocking (e.g. Spider-Man unmasking), then you have what I would consider a controversial moment.

Sure that was controversial to fans, but on a global scale... not so much. Look at the ones listed in the article, they all focus on stories non-comic readers could grasp: drugs, homophobia, terrorism, censorship.

I'm not calling your choice wrong; I'm just pointing out it wasn't even a blip on the larger Controversy Scaleâ„¢. To find those moments, we need to look beyond comics and at the real world. How did it change the way people perceive the medium, characters, creators and readers? When you hear the average schmo talking about comics, especially something shocking (e.g. Spider-Man unmasking), then you have what I would consider a controversial moment.

I call unmasking Spider-Man the biggest mistake in comics, not controversial. They basically ruined his character forever in my opinion.

The last one about the guy who was convicted of Obscenity should have been number one. What a joke of a law. obscenity is a matter of opinion and what might be obscene to me might not be to you. How can you enforce a law that is so open to interpretation, especially since it violates amendment number 1 the right to free speech. I mean was there anything even in those 9/11 books that were controversial other then the fact it was about 9/11?