RottenTomatoes' Best to Worst

I wasn't aware that the following films counted as CBMs: Virus, Bulletproof Monk, Appleseed, Tales from The Crypt (with Dennis Miller), The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green, Art School Confidential, Azumi, Timecop, Uzumaki, The Addams Family, The Princess Blade, Creepshow, Heavy Metal, Ichi the Killer, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Barbarella, Addams Family Values, Akira, Over the Hedge, Ghost in the Shell, Oldboy, Metropolis and both Men in Black films.

Am amazed that FF is at 79 (below Supergirl), Blade Trinity's at 76, Ghost Rider's at 72, (one below Superman III and two behind Howard the Duck), TMNT at 67 ("the plot is non-existent and the dialogue lacks the irony and goofy wit of the earlier TMNT movies." - fuck off). All these are behind Richie Rich at 65, Dennis the Menace at 64, and Barb Wire at 63.....

:ph<_<r:

...moving on. The Shadow, Tank Girl, The Phantom and Casper are all higher up as well, when they shouldn't be. Constantine is apparently better than Batman Forever (although I guess that one's borderline debatable). Blade is at 50 whilst ANNIE is at 49....

...and Josie & The Pussycats is in the top 50 at 48. Wow. Mystery Men beat out legitimate films like Blade 2 at 37, the maligned Spider-Man 3 is at 35 whilst the praised 300 is at 34 - both underneath The Rocketeer at 33. Hulk's at 32, Swamp Thing's at 30, Batman's at 27, Flash Gordon's at 25, Batman Returns and V for Vendetta are in the low 20s whilst OVER THE HEDGE is at 20. Remind me to pick up that comic....

Superman Returns (17) is supposedly better than both The Crow (18) and Superman II (19). Hellboy (13) is supposedly better than Sin City (15) and Men in Black (7) is better than Batman Begins (8) and Superman (9). X2, which I believe to be the best CBM yet made is #5, beaten by Spider-Man at #4 (Very good but not better), Ghost World at #3 (No way), American Splendor at #2 (WTF is that?!?!?), and Spider-Man 2 as the best CBM ever. Hmmm.....not convinced, despite how great Spider-man 2 is.

I feel a column coming on.....

I wasn't aware that the following films counted as CBMs: Virus, Bulletproof Monk, Appleseed, Tales from The Crypt (with Dennis Miller), The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green, Art School Confidential, Azumi, Timecop, Uzumaki, The Addams Family, The Princess Blade, Creepshow, Heavy Metal, Ichi the Killer, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Barbarella, Addams Family Values, Akira, Over the Hedge, Ghost in the Shell, Oldboy, Metropolis and both Men in Black films.

Well, I don't agree with the rankings, but I know most of these are based off of underground /indie comics or manga.

-Virus was a 1995 Dark Horse comic.

-Bulletproof Monk was written and illustrated by Michael Avon Oeming, although I've never seen it and I have no idea who published it.

-Appleseed was a huge manga series by Shirow Masamune, not sure how you hadn't heard of that one.

-Tales from the Crypt was a legendary line of EC Comics. Creepshow was a direct homage to that same line.

-Ethan Green was a comic strip, although I'd never heard of it before.

-Art School Confidential was a series of shorts by Daniel Clowes, who also did Ghost World. I thought the movie blew, though.

-Azumi, Uzumaki, Ichi the Killer, The Princess Blade, Oldboy and Metropolis were all based off of mangas that I'd never stumbled across.

-Timecop was a Dark Horse series.

-The Addams Family began life as a comic strip.

-Heavy Metal is a legendary series of magazines focusing on comic strips and sci-fi.

-Ghost in the Shell is a massive manga, again by Shirow Masamune, which is popular both in America and Japan.

-Barbarella was an ancient series of comics that I'd never heard of until just now.

-If you've never heard of Akira, you've never read manga.

-Over the Hedge is an ongoing comic strip, currently syndicated around the country.

-Men in Black also began life as a comic book.

Some of those are a little more vague than others, but I'm really surprised you'd never heard of some of them. You should really look into buying some collections of Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Heavy Metal, Appleseed and the old EC Comics stuff.

I should clarify that I didn't regard some of them as "Comic Book Movies" as the phrase is known today. I knew of the basis of Men in Black, The Addams Family, Tales from The Crypt and Mystery Men. The manga titles are something I'd class differently - the reason why I have a different segment to Kellen/James. The rest I hold my hands up to.

Even so, I think we can all agree this list is a bit suspect.

Films based on manga should be classified as "comic book movies" because "manga" means "comic book" in Japanese. Just because the place of origin isn't in the Western world, and just because the format is different from "traditional" comics shouldn't automatically excluded them from the "comic book movies" banner. Besides the size of manga, they're the same thing as Western comic books. The only real difference is that Japan, as a whole, hasn't pigeonholed manga into one genre as Americans have.

Films based on manga should be classified as "comic book movies" because "manga" means "comic book" in Japanese. Just because the place of origin isn't in the Western world, and just because the format is different from "traditional" comics shouldn't automatically excluded them from the "comic book movies" banner. Besides the size of manga, they're the same thing as Western comic books. The only real difference is that Japan, as a whole, hasn't pigeonholed manga into one genre as Americans have.

I agree with you - technically, there is no difference between what I class as CBMs and Manga other than the culture behind the comics. It's just because of the perceived difference because one's from the west and one's from the east that I end up thinking that way.

I'm definitely writing something on this now!! Well, not *now*. But soon!