Superman: Man of Steel

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets worse for the movie:

Not long after we mentioned this article from Variety stating that Bryan Singer is highly unlikely to direct the Superman Returns sequel, Latino Review posted more possible bad news for the second film -- Brandon Routh may not return either as Clark Kent/Superman.

According to the site, the actor that lands the Superman role in George Miller's Justice League will go on to star in a separate Superman movie as well.

Again, none of this is official until the studio actually confirms or denies these rumors (about both Singer and Routh), so it will be a wait-and-see game for now.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6648

The Variety article saying Singer is out:

Speaking of DC Comics pics, it is highly unlikely that Bryan Singer will return to shoot the next Superman movie. (The director is finishing up Tom Cruise's Nazi film Valkyrie, and prepping The Mayor of Castro Street). The next Superman we will see on the big screen will not be Brandon Routh, but a younger Superman among a cast of youthful superheroes in The Justice League. That movie will likely not be shot, however, until after the WGA strike is resolved. Warners is so happy with Dark Knight that their fondest hope is that Nolan will return to do another Batman.

http://weblogs.variety.com/thompsononholly...-chris-nol.html

The Superman franchise is so fucked! Superman Returns was a critical bomb that lacked logic. Smallville has made the character stale, and getting him to make the transition from Clark to Superman is going to feel forced. And the different continuity of the JLA movie will confuse the average moviegoer.

Here's how to solve the problem: something terribly wrong could plague the planet at the start of The Man of Steel, forcing Superman to turn back time (a la Superman: The Movie), resetting everything from the original picture onward. Zod and his gang would still be imprisoned, Lois never got knocked up, Superman never left to search for his home planet and, best of all, Superman III, IV and Returns never happened!

Here's how to solve the problem: something terribly wrong could plague the planet at the start of The Man of Steel, forcing Superman to turn back time (a la Superman: The Movie), resetting everything from the original picture onward. Zod and his gang would still be imprisoned, Lois never got knocked up, Superman never left to search for his home planet and, best of all, Superman III, IV and Returns never happened!

Oh...I didn't know Joe Quesada was involved?

See if Smallville hadnt have go on for too long now I would be saying that they need to have Tom Welling play Clark in the film, start similar to what Yoda said in cancelling out most other films and beginning again from the end of Smallville. Start with Clark himself finding he can help more than just his friends and there you have a great film of discovery, throw in a mega strong opponent for him to max his powers out on and your sorted.

Problems are that Smallville has dragged for the last 2 or maybe 3 years and its abit tiresome, and more importantly Welling himself has said before publicly that he doesnt want to be cast as Supes for the rest of his career

You said worse, and then posted that Routh might not be in it. That's not worse, that's better.

Routh was one of the best things going for Superman Returns and I will hear nothing to the contrary.

Seriously though, Singer & Routh not being in the next installment and the fucking JLA version being the sequel is SUCH UTTER, UTTER BULLSHIT. Alright, Singer fucked up with his reboot and I can live with him not being part of the seqel, not to mention my misgivings with Superboy. But if they change things AGAIN, the franchise just gets more confusing. Worse yet, it it makes the JLA version of everything THE DC UNIVERSE, SIDLINGING THE BALE/NOLAN BATMAN UNIVERSE AS BEING UTTERLY PERIPHERARY. Really, Warner Brothers are pissing all over what could have been an awesome expansion of the DC universe, ALL SO THEY CAN HAVE A KID-FRIENDLY JUSTICE LEAGUE. DID BATMAN & ROBIN TEACH YOU NOTHING?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

I'm a tad annoyed. :grumble:

You said worse, and then posted that Routh might not be in it. That's not worse, that's better.

Routh was one of the best things going for Superman Returns and I will hear nothing to the contrary.

Seriously though, Singer & Routh not being in the next installment and the fucking JLA version being the sequel is SUCH UTTER, UTTER BULLSHIT. Alright, Singer fucked up with his reboot and I can live with him not being part of the seqel, not to mention my misgivings with Superboy. But if they change things AGAIN, the franchise just gets more confusing. Worse yet, it it makes the JLA version of everything THE DC UNIVERSE, SIDLINGING THE BALE/NOLAN BATMAN UNIVERSE AS BEING UTTERLY PERIPHERARY. Really, Warner Brothers are pissing all over what could have been an awesome expansion of the DC universe, ALL SO THEY CAN HAVE A KID-FRIENDLY JUSTICE LEAGUE. DID BATMAN & ROBIN TEACH YOU NOTHING?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?

I'm a tad annoyed. :grumble:

So...you like it?

• 3 months later...
Thomas Tull, founder, chairman and CEO of Legendary Pictures (the company jointly responsible for producing the films 'Batman Begins', 'Superman Returns' and '300'), spoke to Hamilton students on April 17.

Tull showed clips from 'The Dark Knight' and also talked about upcoming projects like 'Watchmen', 'Akira' and the 'Superman' sequel. Apparently, Tull told students that the new Superman movie would refocus on the man of steel as "an angry god".

http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=32684

Maybe he's angry because Superman Returns was horrible.

I say screw it and try to continue with the Returns continuity. Stick with Routh & co, develop the story as they had originally planned. Its not going to be any worse than ANOTHER reboot. Lets just get on with it and start introducing some classic superman villains who ARN'T Lex Luthor. Give me Parasite damnit! Or Brainiac or Metallo! Lets just actually GO somewhere before we decide to ditch everything.

Besides, Superman's mythology isn't sacred ground to me so I enjoyed Superman Returns. The action was superb (saving the plane), the characters were well realised (Routh was spot-on) and the concept was at least original. I could care less about the son stuff not being in continuity, its like a neat little elseworlds tale to me. I will admit that Supes was a total stalker in that film but I figure thats actually in character, what with all the super spying powers.

I say screw it and try to continue with the Returns continuity. Stick with Routh & co, develop the story as they had originally planned. Its not going to be any worse than ANOTHER reboot. Lets just get on with it and start introducing some classic superman villains who ARN'T Lex Luthor. Give me Parasite damnit! Or Brainiac or Metallo! Lets just actually GO somewhere before we decide to ditch everything.

Agreed.

Besides, Superman's mythology isn't sacred ground to me so I enjoyed Superman Returns. The action was superb (saving the plane), the characters were well realised (Routh was spot-on) and the concept was at least original. I could care less about the son stuff not being in continuity, its like a neat little elseworlds tale to me. I will admit that Supes was a total stalker in that film but I figure thats actually in character, what with all the super spying powers.

Less agreement, particularly the idea that Lois Lane was well realised, or that it's in character for Superman to actively stalk non-criminals.

The way I see it, every Superman film has abjectly failed to bring in the Rogues gallery properly. I can deal with Luthor being used continuously because he's a persistant thorn in Kal-El's side, but the only other film villains he's faced are the Kryptonian traitors (who are admittedly cool), "Nuclear Man" and Robert Vaughan's wacky misfits. How hard is it to pit Superman, a genial force for good and American values, against someone that isn't Luthor? Honestly? God-like he may be, but I'd never describe Supes as an "angry god".

Then again, a founder and CEO of a film company is unlikely to grasp such subtleties so here's hoping this is a Roven-esque gaffe in the vein of "hey, we might NOT use the Joker in the next movie!!"

It's not fucking things up; it's adopting, adapting and improving classic properties to fit the needs and sensibilities of the modern moviegoing audience. Studio executives will always know what we, the ticket buying public, really want.

Wow. I actually felt myself die a little inside while I typed that.

I wholeheartedly approve of the new avatar, Yoda.

You didn't use enough buzzwords.

You need to talk about how these new movies motion cinema experiences are bringing fresh and dynamic new interpretations of every one's favorite franchises. With the advances in digital entertainment blasting us through the an age of technological wonder. The audience consumer base demands a higher standard of quality and cinematic special effects post production scene enhancement to bring you louder explosions pulse pounding excitement and big screens more aspect ratio than your body has room for!