Superman: Man of Steel

I'd like to see Routh back, even if it isn't likely. He was a really good Clark Kent and a decent Superman, a lot better than most actors I think could have been. Meh, they'll probably want to go all mega CGI action with the next one, try to max out the blockbuster and remove the heart. I'd suggest Orci and Kurtzman to write but whilst Star Trek was a superb script that covered all the bases they also wrote Transformers 2, which was the opposite.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets start with simple things.

Superman not being a serial rapist.

Superman not trying to break up a family.

Superman not being dull.

Lex Luthor not being interested in fucking real estate.

If they can do one of these and make it half decent and watchable, then I'm happy.....

To wait for the DVD.

• 1 month later...

In case you were wondering why this movie hasn't been made yet:

The legal issues between Brian Quintana and Jon Peters, the two producers on the new Warner Brothers/Legendary Pictures reboot Superman: Man of Steel were pretty turbulent this past December. At the time, The Hollywood Reporter's legal blog reported on Quintana suing Peters over money owed him as well as over alleged sexual harassment and "outrageous demands of his services.... [including] perjury, the forgery of signatures, the procurement of illegal drugs, tax and other accounting fraud, and the assistance and cover-up of some extreme sexual behavior."

Also among the demands reportedly placed on Quintana by Peters was a "request to help cover up the statutory rape of Peters' daughter."

The New York Post now reports that Peters has been ordered to stay 100 yards away from Quintana after he told Quintana, "I am going to cross this table and beat the ****ing **** out of you. I am going to kick your ass," at a deposition taking place at a Los Angeles law office on August 12th pertaining to the sexual harassment lawsuit Quintana filed against Peters.

Quintana filed a police report on August 14th that states, "Mr. Peters threatened to break my legs. I am afraid, nervous and anxious that Jon Peters is going to hurt or kill me." On August 19th, Quintana was granted a restraining order that would keep Peters from "threatening, assaulting or harassing him."

Peters' lawyer Joe Yanny claims the restraining order is unfounded, and that Peters' losing his temper was due to Quintana throwing kisses at Peters during the deposition.

A hearing is set for September 9th to determine how long the order will remain in effect.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/09/superman-man-of-steel-pro.php

Creating a good Superman film is somewhat difficult. I mean the world has their own idea of what makes Superman, Superman. The comic book films that come out now and generate a huge audience are dark characters(Batman, Constantine, Blade, etc)Superman isn't a dark character. He has an edge that no film has ever attempted to point out, but you first need that origin film, however Richard Donner has already given us an excellent origin film that could never be surpassed, so that backs us in another corner.

How can you tell a dark story involving Superman and not have to tell the origin story first? Well the only thing I can think of is telling the origins in flashbacks, maybe only through the credits, using the John Williams theme(there is no other)and maybe picking a story to adapt faithfully that puts Superman to the edge, possibly bringing in a big character like Darkseid or Brainiac, someone who could push his buttons to a point where he may or may not cross a line. As bad as Lex is, Superman would never cross that line with him.

Superman is one of the few super heroes that I think the story doesn't matter. I think people just want to see him kick the shit out of giant robots and mutants with shit exploding in the background. Nobody should be worried about writing a academy award winning script when it comes to a Superman movie.

I would consider Superman Returns a dark Superman movie.

And Superman should not cross a line.

Superman Returns isn't really dark, it was written by a fanboy and it shows on every level, except quality. While its not the worse film in the franchise, it had its own flaws and copied way too much from the first 2 films(Lex's plan, the ditzy sidekick of Lex, Kryptonite, everytrhing)just used today's technology.

I'm not saying he would cross a line, but those characters have managed to get Superman to act out in a way that he's tried to avoid with the strength he has.

Present this during the opening credits, and everyone will be caught up.

No.

First of all, the average young person today does NOT know Superman's origin; the last well-known on-screen origin story was released in 1978. A disturbingly large portion of kids today have no idea what Krypton is at all.

Only having a few flashed images is a very very bad idea.

They need to take a page from STAS and have the first 15-20 minutes of the film be set entirely on Krypton. Show the audience how incredibly cool the Superman/Kryptonian sci-fi mythos is, show Braniac's betrayal, and show the El family's tragic death.

If they make Krypton's last days extremely fun and interesting, as STAS did, there'd be no reason to complain. It's not unnecessary information, and it doesn't bog the story down. Krypton's last days give a huge element of emotional weight to Clark's adventures, and act as a great backstory for future stories involving Krypton.

If we hadn't seen Krypton's end in The Last Son of Krypton, Braniac's return in Stolen Memories wouldn't have had the emotional weight that it did. Yes, there were flashbacks that told the story anyway, but they didn't hold the same emotional power on their own. By showcasing the House of El and having a quick mini-adventure with them, we got some indirect character development on Superman himself, as well as a great villain in Braniac.

In other Superman origins (including the Donner version), we never get an emotional attachment to Krypton or anyone on it, so it doesn't really have any impact on the audience. That's why so many people think that Superman's origin should be skipped over: because for most people, the death of Krypton is a fact, not an emotional story point. That needs to change.

Because of STAS, every time someone in the comics or animated series refers to Superman as a "Kryptonian," my heart sinks just a tad because I remember the tragedy of Krypton, and how truly alone Clark is.

Essentially, Kal-El embodies everything that Krypton was; development of Krypton is indirect development for him as well.

People need to be shown the cosmic scope of Superman's story, and why he's more than just a flying guy who smiles at every camera he sees. Krypton, when done correctly, is the perfect way to do that. In fact, not showing his origin would be a major disservice to the character, since the vast majority of his mythos involves Krypton in some fashion (which would only mean a dozen flashbacks in later films). Yes, if they showed that origin, it wouldn't focus on the main character for the first 15 minutes, but neither did Star Wars.

I would consider Superman Returns a dark Superman movie.

And Superman should not cross a line.

And I quote Bats in Hush: "Deep down inside, Clark is a good person."

The only line I've ever seen crossed with that has been with the Justice Lords or in Red Son. And it could be played well on a theatre screen, yes, as good intentions gone horribly, horribly wrong, however, I don't think mainstream America is ready for that just yet.

The only line I've ever seen crossed with that has been with the Justice Lords or in Red Son. And it could be played well on a theatre screen, yes, as good intentions gone horribly, horribly wrong, however, I don't think mainstream America is ready for that just yet.

Well, I think the main problem you'd get with that is that in both of those versions, something went horribly wrong. They're amazing stories, but they are very specifically alternate universe stories. If you made the mainstream version of Superman cross a line and become an evil overlord, that wouldn't really be Superman.

If you want a dark Superman story, all you need to do is make the situation dire. Apokolips invasion, anyone?

Well, I think the main problem you'd get with that is that in both of those versions, something went horribly wrong. They're amazing stories, but they are very specifically alternate universe stories. If you made the mainstream version of Superman cross a line and become an evil overlord, that wouldn't really be Superman.

If you want a dark Superman story, all you need to do is make the situation dire. Apokolips invasion, anyone?

An Apokolips Invasion film would need to come after a series of at least 2 to 3 films. You can't put something that epic into one film, especially a film that has to tell the origin at some point and than introduce all the characters. I'd say if it was that scenerio, have someone like Lex or Brainiac be the villain in the first film, but as a side story we show signs of Darkseid. After all the action is over, we than see Darkseid or at least a part of him speaking of his plans.

An Apokolips Invasion film would need to come after a series of at least 2 to 3 films. You can't put something that epic into one film, especially a film that has to tell the origin at some point and than introduce all the characters. I'd say if it was that scenerio, have someone like Lex or Brainiac be the villain in the first film, but as a side story we show signs of Darkseid. After all the action is over, we than see Darkseid or at least a part of him speaking of his plans.

Oh, of course. I didn't mean for Darkseid to be in the same film as the origin; that would be ridiculous.

It'd kinda be interesting to see hints of Darkseid in the Krypton backstory, though. After all, if Darkseid knows about Kryptonians, then he should have met them before.

I don't think that Superman needs to be "dark." Dark by comparison to the Reeve films for sure, though.

A dark Superman story has been done.

superman3ws.jpg

The problem was they also had Richard Pryer in the movie, which completely negated the dark part of the story.

That was not a dark Superman film, that small part of the film was just a small subplot. Funny enough it was the best part of the film. A film with Bizarro may work, that's what that was all supposed to be.

A dark Superman story has been done.

superman3ws.jpg

The problem was they also had Richard Pryer in the movie, which completely negated the dark part of the story.

To quote the writer of the first movie, that was a Richard Pryor movie, with Superman in it.

Anyway, just adapt All Star Superman, like Mike, Koete and Morrison want. It's a good story that includes some major character parts and is a fun read.

• 2 weeks later...
"We actually don't have any current plans for Superman," said Nelson when asked if the new environment (and the recent legal decision regarding the character) made a "Superman" movie more or less likely in the near future... We've obviously done a lot of great things behind the property in our history, and it's a key part of the family, but we don't have current plans behind Superman," she said.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=59125