Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's talk cast:

Clark Kent / Superman: Justin Timberlake

I am so not joking with this one. He has a great look (especially in glasses), could pull off Clark's farm-boy charm and the larger than life persona that surrounds Superman, is a very solid actor, and wouldn't look out of place in a dopey suit or the formfitting costume. The downside is that though he'd get the females into theaters, a lot of guys still see him as part of 'N Sync, which will prevent them from coming.

Lois Lane: Kate Winslet

Brilliant actress who'll bring the film much credibility. She plays her roles with depth and heart, and makes you believe she's that character. She'd bring a true balance to Lois, as well; she wouldn't be overly pushy, nor completely week in the knees upon seeing Superman. Dye her hair and cover the accent, and there you go. It should be said that she is a few years older than Justin, but I don't see that being a big issue. Who says Lois can't be older than Clark?

Zod: Jeffrey Dean Morgan

The perfect age, intensity, and charm needed to play the Kryptonian general. And personally, I'd like to see a Zod that's much more massive than Superman. I'll be the first to admit he's been in a lot of comic book movies, but each part has been so different.

Or...

Zod: Javier Bardem

Everything I said about Morgan applies here, except I think Bardem could play a Zod that's much more cold. Either way, I'd be happy.

Lex Luthor: Michael Douglas

A cold, ruthless business man? Yeah, I think Douglas has that nailed.

Justin Timberlake as Superman/Clark Kent: Sure, why not?

Kate Winslet as Lois Lane: I'll take your word for it. Don't think I've ever seen a film with her in it.

Jeffrey Dean Morgan/: Good pics, but I think Javier Bardem would be better for Non than for Zod. Also, I think Zod shouldn't be used so that Superman would actually be the last living Kryptonian.

Michael Douglas as Lex Luthor: NO. Just NO.

Actors put on a number of voices and vocal inflections as part of their job.

Actors aren't magical chameleons that can shape their voices to match any role in existence.

Upon further thinking, I've decided that I'd be happiest if I never recognized a single actor in the new Superman movie. Maybe one or two here or there, but overall an unknown cast. Do it Lord of the Rings-style.

Michael Douglas as Lex Luthor: NO. Just NO.

Do you care to expand upon that?

1) It's type-casting

2) From what I've seen him in, I don't think he's a very good actor

He's Gordon fucking Gekko. The man can act.

Maybe my perception of his acting abilities is sullied by "The American President"; even so, he's a bit too old, especially if you have someone as young as Justin Timberlake playing the Man of Steel; you need someone who won't have a cardiac arrest if he ever fights Superman while wearing his super-suit

Actors put on a number of voices and vocal inflections as part of their job.

Actors aren't magical chameleons that can shape their voices to match any role in existence.

Right, because The Joker sounds just like Luke Skywalker.

No, actors aren't "magic" but there's no need to dismiss an actor just because one role of theirs doesn't reflect the broad range of personas that they adopt to win roles.

Right, because The Joker sounds just like Luke Skywalker.

No, actors aren't "magic" but there's no need to dismiss an actor just because one role of theirs doesn't reflect the broad range of personas that they adopt to win roles.

Hamill is an oddity, and I honestly can't see Maher being able to pull off the same level of authority or intensity that others like Reeve (and even Welling) have done.

There's a difference between doing a strange voice and a powerful one.

Doing an accent is one thing. Making a funny sound is one thing. Sounding maniacal is one thing. But power is something that can't be done by everyone; it needs a certain physical ability that not everyone has.

Maher is perfectly capable of authoritative and powerful, just because he didn't pull it as Simon Tam doesn't mean he can't. There's a couple of moments in the 2001 remake of "Brian's Song" that Maher is just spot on Superman.

Not that "Brian's Song" should have been remade.

Let's see...

Brandon Routh back as Superman, IMO he deserves a second chance.

Bring back John Shea for Lex Luthor, he's all kinds of awesome.

Routh wasn't terrible but he wasn't great either.

Can't speak for John Shea, but think that the film needs a fresh face who can channel (though not necessarily be forced to imitate) Clancy Brown's Luthor while breaking from the silliness of Hackman and Spacey.

Routh was a complete slam-dunk in the role, it sucks that they have to start from scratch again.

By slam dunk do you mean resembling cardboard?

I think he means that Routh was excellent at channelling Reeve in mannerisms, made for a perfectly likeable Clark and was let down as Superman by what the film gave him to do (ie/ stalking a family, getting kicked in by Kevin Spacey and dying).

Then again, I don't understand Bristolian.