Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Routh was a complete slam-dunk in the role, it sucks that they have to start from scratch again.

By slam dunk do you mean resembling cardboard?

I think he means that Routh was excellent at channelling Reeve in mannerisms, made for a perfectly likeable Clark and was let down as Superman by what the film gave him to do ie stalking a family, getting kicked in by Kevin Spacey and dying).

Then again, I don't understand Bristolian.

Yes, well up in the north they don't teach you to talk 'street' like what I is doing.

I thought Routh was great. Like Ian said the failings were script-based. Mostly surrounding turning him into a creepy date-rapist stalker deadbeat dad.

That was my guess. The people who don't like Goldeneye say that Brosnan was a great Bond who never got to star in a great Bond film.

People don't like Goldeneye? :shakehead:

Sick, twisted people without souls.

Routh had a hard act to follow, especially given how Singer wanted Returns to be a love letter to the Donner films (which was its ultimate undoing). But he did a good job and however brief the moment was, he will always have been Superman. I'll be interested to see if his career recovers as he won't be as typecast as Tom Welling - appearing in Scott Pilgrim certainly didn't hurt his geek cred.

I'll be interested in how the casting process goes. I can deal with Snyder under the supervision of Nolan/Goyer, and an origins story with Zod as the main villain sounds perfectly fine to me. Luthor can always be in the background rather than acting as the main antagonist.

That was my guess. The people who don't like Goldeneye say that Brosnan was a great Bond who never got to star in a great Bond film.

People don't like Goldeneye? :shakehead:

Sick, twisted people without souls.

That they are.

But yeah, this film should really stand or fall on its own laurels, as Returns tried really hard to be Superman III, by Donner, but it came across as just boring. Wheras the real Superman III is a good film, true thats only because of Richard Pryor.

But yeah, this film shouldn't try and follow what was set in motion before it, it should, and probably will be like Batman Begins, and just say "Oh, you like the other films....well this is a different take."

The only things Returns got right were Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor, and to a much lesser extent, Routh as Superman.

I'm an actor, and I was ENGLISH in a play once. And I'm from AMERICA. Those are different places.

I can testify to that. I could've believed he was Stav and Ian's neighbor.

That would be difficult given that we live hundreds of miles apart and have different backgrounds and accents. You see Ian is common as muck and as such talks with a strong Leicester brogue, where as I have perfect diction and talk like a 1960's news presenter.

There's a Bond actor analogy in here somewhere...

I do think that Christopher Reeve is like Sean Connery until Roger Moore became 007: His Superman had such an impact that it's almost as if no one but Christopher Reeve can play Superman; much as I love his performance as the Man of Steel, there needs to be someone who makes it easier for future actors to play the character, as Roger Moore did for James Bond.

The guy who wrote Blade: Trinity and The Unborn? Yeah, him.

It doesn't make him terrible; it just makes him hit-or-miss. For a really terrible scriptwriter, look no further than Akiva Goldsman, the writer of Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Lost in Space, The Da Vinci Code, AND Angels & Demons. (Who gives a fuck if he wrote A Beautiful Mind?)

As I've said before, I think Dark City is a good film, I own the DVD in fact. I just don't see it as the masterpiece other people see it as. I can see why it would look I hate it though considering all of the pokes I've taken at Dubs. As Dark City was written by three people, that isn't one I'd hold against him.

One thing I liked about James Marsden's character is that in any other movie he'd be a bad guy. I mean, he's with Lois Lane, the love of Superman's life. It just makes sense for him to be a douche, so that you can cheer on Superman when he wins back her heart. But he's not; he's loving, caring and heroic. Which makes things even harder for Superman. I think Superman Returns made a lot of mistakes, but I really liked that they went that way with that character.

EDIT

Luthor: Say it, say it...

Lois: Superman will--

Luthor: WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!

Oh god, I love that scene so much.

The guy who played Cyclops in Singer's X-Men movies was the only thing I didn't hate in Superman Returns.

Why?

Probably because that was the only character that even remotely acted like a decent person.

But he was also very bland. The only person who really stood out from the crowd in the film was Spacey.