Superman: Man of Steel

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point. No reason Jenny Olsen or Lombard couldn't have been realistically dorky/funny. (They were a couple times, but not as much as needed)

I think Sam Huntington's Jimmy in Superman Returns is the high point for realistically hilarious comedy in Superman. Not cartoonish, but believably silly.

Just saw it. It's not perfect, but I'm mostly happy with it and I might see it again with my sister next weekend. As of now, I can name more personal gripes than major flaws with the film, those being:

-There were a few rather blatant Christian visual references, but that's just personal taste.

-Also, though I mostly like what they did with Zod and his people, they were a bit too Nazi-like at times for my taste. Beyond the genocide, more than one of them had a German accent. Then again, asking for subtlety in a Snyder film would be like asking Ebeneezer Scrooge for candy canes.

-I wish we had more time on Krypton and got to know why Jor-El and Zod had grudging respect for one another.

-Some, if not most, of the action sequences between Clark and Zod's people were a bit too long and chaotic.

-There's no way Clark didn't accidentally kill somebody when he rammed Zod through that gas station.

-In a bigger rookie mistake, Clark really shouldn't have told Zod about how to concentrate with so many power, even though the character should turn the other cheek at times.

-There's no way Clark didn't accidentally kill somebody when he rammed Zod through that gas station.

It's funny you mention that; I actually checked specifically in my 2nd viewing of the movie to see where all the civilians are in that scene. None of them are in the path of the kryptonians or near the blast radius of the explosion. If we want to justify it, you could say that Clark could have used his senses to figure out where all the people in that area were ahead of time, probably by listening. It is kind of stretching, but given how aware Clark shows himself to be, it's not impossible.

It's funny you mention that; I actually checked specifically in my 2nd viewing of the movie to see where all the civilians are in that scene. None of them are in the path of the kryptonians or near the blast radius of the explosion. If we want to justify it, you could say that Clark could have used his senses to figure out where all the people in that area were ahead of time, probably by listening. It is kind of stretching, but given how aware Clark shows himself to be, it's not impossible.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...not the bloody Destroyer defense again.

The station is open and there are cars getting gased up there, ERGO, there are people present, even if you didn't see them onscreen. He made a rookie mistake, lost his cool, and accidentally killed a few people. To his credit, I think only Zod was ramming Superman through the buildings in Metropolis during the final fight, but I'll have to see the film again to be sure of that.

Zod killed a lot of people with general destruction; Superman never did anything to directly harm any civilians. I don't like the argument of "Superman killed people because he smashed something and some people might have been in his path," because it effectively makes him out to be a murderer when it's not actually confirmed onscreen. If you look at the gas station, you can clearly see that no one is near the explosion

before it goes off.

If you want direct examples of heroes killing without paying attention, look at Batman in TDKR bombing things with the Batcopter. People actually die on-screen.