Superman: Man of Steel

The way I see it, Superman was never on an assassination mission, and he was never of the "needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" mindset. He only killed Zod because he'd been pushed to that level and there was no other option. The phantom zone devices were gone, so there wasn't any way left to peaceably subdue Zod.

If you want to go really in-depth in-universe, we can talk about how the mass/speed/power ratios of a Kryptonian in MOS are incredibly disproportionate, thus Superman being able to actually grab Zod is extremely difficult. It's not as though at any point Superman could have just grabbed Zod and snapped him.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dubs and I just saw it. I enjoyed it as a Superman action movie. The fights scenes were spectacular. Storywise, though, it was really hard to make any kind of connection with any of the characters (even though I did like all the acting) because it bounced around in time SO much.

I have zero problem with Superman killing Zod. That's what SHOULD happen to Zod. He's like Darkseid--he won't stop until he's reached his objective or died trying.

My thoughts.

The Good

Almost every performance was good. Cavill is fine in the role and Amy Adams is the best Lois so far. I can't imagine anyone saying that Margot Kidder was even close without wearing some huge nostalgia glasses.

I thought the fight scenes were cool. Superman got to punch dudes and someone threw a train at him. I also like that he basically only did things that an untrained super-strong guy would do, namely, fly into things.

I liked him killing Zod. Superheroes having more sympathy and reverence for their own villains than the people they're supposed to be saving is one of the many reasons why I can't read mainstream comics anymore. Even someone living to an ideal can't always find perfect solutions to everything. Zod said he would never ever stop and Clark hated the fact he had to do it. It was fine.

The Bad

The aesthetic of Krypton bothered me. The first ten minutes of the movie, I felt like I was watching a Gears of War commercial. The liquid metal technology also seemed out of place. Don't get me started on the random tentacles.

Michael Shannon as Zod. Didn't feel like there was any weight to the performance. The character has logical motives but he came off as a mustache twirler.

A major theme of the movie was supposed to be Clark's faith in humanity, but every time we saw him interact with any humans outside of his parents, they were all dicks to him. Every single time. We saw a hundred flashbacks dealing with his frustrations as an outcast and wanting to beat people up that were wronging him but they never showed why he was suddenly different and willing to destroy everything Kryptonian to save them.

On that note, the flashbacks were really repetitive.

The collateral damage in movies like these always bothers me. Superman doesn't even have to necessarily prevent it, but some acknowledgement that millions of people died during that last half hour would have been nice.

Nolan has officially ruined superhero movies for the immediate future. This thing was completely fucking joyless the entire runtime. People should be given some reason to smile during a Superman film.

The Weird

I found it strange that they didn't do anything to establish Lex in the universe outside of that one tanker with his name on it.

When would Jor-El have the time to upload the most recent information about Zod's uprising when we saw literally everything that happened between that moment and his death?

I thought it was an interesting choice to not have him established in the Daily Planet until the very end. That's not a bad thing, necessarily.

The General knows about Krypton? Okay then.

Overall, I thought it was an okay movie and a decent base for them to work off of moving forward, but it was unfocused and tried to be too many things at once. They wanted an origin story, a sci-fi alien film, a disaster movie, and some awkward coming-of-age movie all at the same time.

A major theme of the movie was supposed to be Clark's faith in humanity, but every time we saw him interact with any humans outside of his parents, they were all dicks to him. Every single time. We saw a hundred flashbacks dealing with his frustrations as an outcast and wanting to beat people up that were wronging him but they never showed why he was suddenly different and willing to destroy everything Kryptonian to save them.

I think it goes with what Jor-El said: "You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun." This is humanity at the starting point. From his experiences with his parents, Pete when they were kids, and Lois respecting his wishes, Clark knows the good humanity is capable of. He knows there will be mistrust at first, but he also knows that trust is possible.

The collateral damage in movies like these always bothers me. Superman doesn't even have to necessarily prevent it, but some acknowledgement that millions of people died during that last half hour would have been nice.

That's a big part of my problem with the ending, there's pretty much no time spent on the aftermath and how the world has been changed.

Nolan has officially ruined superhero movies for the immediate future. This thing was completely fucking joyless the entire runtime. People should be given some reason to smile during a Superman film.

You didn't feel joy when Superman flew for the first time? And there were moments of humor throughout it. Whether they were good is debatable, but it's not like it was pitch black bleak the entire time. I didn't think it got joyless until the devastation of Metropolis and Superman killing Zod. I can't think of anything in a Superman movie more joyless than someone dying at Superman's hand, whether he had a choice or not.

I guess the flying thing just went by too fast for me to really care, and it was sandwiched between scenes of sulking.

I'll grant you the Jor-El speech but there's a difference in narrative effectiveness between telling and showing. There wasn't enough of the latter for me.

Dubs and I just saw it. I enjoyed it as a Superman action movie. The fights scenes were spectacular. Storywise, though, it was really hard to make any kind of connection with any of the characters (even though I did like all the acting) because it bounced around in time SO much.

Watched it on IMAX 3D yesterday and James sums up my thoughts.

I think the story/script let down the characters and actors. Except for the end scene, as I really dug the "Welcome to the Planet" line, they should have cut all scenes involving Daily Planet characters except for 1 or 2 scenes with Perry and Lois. I didn't need them running, saving each other, because I had zero emotional involvement in them. That time could have been spent on another flashback to either Pa Kent or more character exploration of Zod.

The Weird

I found it strange that they didn't do anything to establish Lex in the universe outside of that one tanker with his name on it.

There was also a tractor trailer with the Lexcorp logo driving by when Clark goes to see his Mother after talking to Lois in the graveyard, and a skyscraper in Metropolis that says Lexcorp on it.

• 1 month later...