Superman: Man of Steel

You know what, now that I've had time to think on it, I am hoping that they decide to play Affleck's Batman as more of a silver-age Batman. Hear me out. We've had a decade of a dark Batman who's every word is a slightly more syllabic grunt. I think we need a more light-hearted Batman, someone to contrast with what is a slightly darker Man of Steel. In that case, I like Affleck for this role because he can do light-hearted with maybe slight pain underneath it all. This is what I'm hoping for. I know I'm going to get brooding but I have a bit of time to hope.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never hope DC movies are going to be good. Hope they are going to be watchable.

I hope all movies I go to see are going to be good - going in without internet-mandated prejudices certainly help me in that respect.

Amen.

If I don't expect a movie is going tp be good why the fuck would I spend $15 on a ticket? The whole "this is totally going to suck but I'm going to go see it on opening night" bullshit is what's wrong with pop culture.

I hope all movies I go to see are going to be good - going in without internet-mandated prejudices certainly help me in that respect.

Amen.

If I don't expect a movie is going tp be good why the fuck would I spend $15 on a ticket? The whole "this is totally going to suck but I'm going to go see it on opening night" bullshit is what's wrong with pop culture.

I always assume DC movies are going to be awful. That way, I don't get my hopes up, only to have them shattered when I actually watch them. And I will always watch them, just to see what they are like. If they are watchable and/or good, that's a bonus.

With MCU movies, I always assume they are going to be good, if not awesome. Thus far, I have not been disappointed.

As for any marvel properties not made by the MCU... I adopt the same criteria as I do with DC movies..

My point is, if you think it's going to be awful, why bother? It seems like a pretty shitty way to decide what to spend your money and time on.

I don't have the time/money to see everything I want to see in the theatres, let alone the stuff I don't think is going to be good. Going to see things you aren't interested in is PART OF THE PROBLEM.

Edit: Ha! I didn't realize there was a page with two other guys saying exactly what I said before I posted it.

You know what I've been thinking.... What was it exactly that everyone loved about Christian Bale? I like him as an actor, but what did he bring to Batman that was amazing? The surfer grunt? The movies were amazing, but was that due to him? I really can't see Affleck being any worse than Bale was as Batman. I'm not saying Affleck is a better actor, I'm just saying that Bale wasn't what made you watch the Batman movies from Nolan, in the way Downey makes you watch Iron Man.

I kinda have to agree. Outside of Batman Begins, Batman isn't so much a character but a plot element. There are always more dynamic characters in the plot than both Bruce and Batman (Harvey Dent, Jim Gordon, The Joker, Bane, Miranda Tate, Lucius Fox, John Blake) and more interesting characters for that matter to boot. This is their chance to make a Bruce Wayne and Batman that do something for the plot and world. This is their chance to make a Batman who's a veteran of the Crime on War who has been able to keep hidden from the public eye, stay an urban legend but still making a difference, both as Batman and Bruce Wayne.

I've been saying that for years, but everyone kept treating him like he was some kind of acting god. Batman is easy. Your face is covered and you talk in a different voice. It's mostly stuntmen anyways. It's Bruce Wayne that is the acting part, and I didn't like Bale's version of Wayne past the first movie.

When will people learn their lesson about judging performances before they see them? I am so sick of seeing people complain about casting in comic book movies, I can't remember the last time someone was cast in an iconic roll and didn't get flack from fans. Seriously, everybody calm down and have a little more faith in these great actors.

I didn't say he would be bad, I was just saying it shows little thought or inspiration from the team. Hey we need a bald bad guy, who has done that lately... Instead of, we really need to make sure that Lex is an equal to Superman, who do we think can really hold a screen presence on film and make the audience think that he could beat Supes. Maybe they did all that and still came up with Cranston.

I'm probably rolling this up with the rumour I read that they were considering Ryan Gosling for Batman....

I have to admit... I was rather pissed about the casting of Batman... but after reading some of the stuff you all have been saying... I have a little ray of hope for Ben...

Oh and I have no problem with Cranston... I haven't seen much Breaking Bad, but what I have I've liked so I'm all for that...

The source article on the Cranston "confirmation" also says some other interesting things...

Bryan Cranston has been cast as Lex Luthor in what is said to be at least a six "appearance" deal (think of Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury popping up in every Marvel movie in the run-up to Avengers) and may be as high as ten...

Regarding Ben Affleck, we are told he has allegedly a 13-appearance deal for Batman...

DC also does have major interest in bringing Matt Damon into the Justice League now that Affleck is on board, and it is rumored that he is being considered for Aquaman or Martian Manhunter.

What?