Superman: Man of Steel

No superhero film franchise can continue on with the same characters for any number of years. Actors age, storylines get weaker, etc. Every generation or so (usually sooner), it's good to re-examine the franchise and determine what needs to be updated or changed.

Like not telling the Spider-Man origin again or not having Luthor use another fucking real estate scheme?

Please, no more real estate plots.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'know, I've heard a lot of people complain that they don't want Luthor in a Superman movie, but I don't really think we've ever gotten a true Luthor anyway. Spacey came close, but he was still half-Hackman.

I think Luthor needs to be in the new film, but he doesn't necessarily need to be the "main" villain. Maybe have him heavily involved in the plot, but not be the sole bad guy. Maybe he creates Metallo. Maybe he forges an alliance with Brainiac, a la "Stolen Memories."

Maybe he's a crooked businessman in the first one and he helps give Lois the scoop she needs to stop some merger or purchase in the B-Plot of the first movie setting up Luthor plotting his revenge in the second one. There, Superman's most iconic villain is in the movie without being the main villain. Everyone's a winner.

I say go the post-crisis route and just make him the evil business overlord of Metropolis. I think that works better than mad scientist-Luthor or generic criminal mastermind-Luthor.

Give me some John Shea-esque Lex and I will be in heaven. Come to think of it, John Shea is still young enough to do it IMO. That would be awesome!

The truth is, the track record on superhero movies is spotty at best. Even the good ones, like the Richard Donner Superman films, had flaws. For a few years, it seemed like filmmakers had finally gotten it right with the first two X-Men and Spiderman films. Then the third films in these series came out, and Superman Returns was made. Sad to say, I'll almost be happy if it just doesn't suck.

The truth is, the track record on superhero movies is spotty at best. Even the good ones, like the Richard Donner Superman films, had flaws. For a few years, it seemed like filmmakers had finally gotten it right with the first two X-Men and Spiderman films. Then the third films in these series came out, and Superman Returns was made. Sad to say, I'll almost be happy if it just doesn't suck.

They people who, in my opinion, made the two best comic book movies of all time are behind this. So have faith.

They people who, in my opinion, made the two best comic book movies of all time are behind this. So have faith.

This comment made me go back in the thread and check to see if it was still Zack Snyder directing. Really? I thought Watchmen was ok, but hardly one of the best ever. I'm pro this because its such a complete departure from the norm, but I wouldn't put Zack high on my list of great directors.