Superman: Man of Steel

The truth is, the track record on superhero movies is spotty at best. Even the good ones, like the Richard Donner Superman films, had flaws. For a few years, it seemed like filmmakers had finally gotten it right with the first two X-Men and Spiderman films. Then the third films in these series came out, and Superman Returns was made. Sad to say, I'll almost be happy if it just doesn't suck.

They people who, in my opinion, made the two best comic book movies of all time are behind this. So have faith.

This comment made me go back in the thread and check to see if it was still Zack Snyder directing. Really? I thought Watchmen was ok, but hardly one of the best ever. I'm pro this because its such a complete departure from the norm, but I wouldn't put Zack high on my list of great directors.

I was referring to Nolan and Friends who came up with the story and chose the director. They made the two best comic book movies in my opinion. BB and TDK.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The truth is, the track record on superhero movies is spotty at best. Even the good ones, like the Richard Donner Superman films, had flaws. For a few years, it seemed like filmmakers had finally gotten it right with the first two X-Men and Spiderman films. Then the third films in these series came out, and Superman Returns was made. Sad to say, I'll almost be happy if it just doesn't suck.

They people who, in my opinion, made the two best comic book movies of all time are behind this. So have faith.

This comment made me go back in the thread and check to see if it was still Zack Snyder directing. Really? I thought Watchmen was ok, but hardly one of the best ever. I'm pro this because its such a complete departure from the norm, but I wouldn't put Zack high on my list of great directors.

I was referring to Nolan and Friends who came up with the story and chose the director. They made the two best comic book movies in my opinion. BB and TDK.

Ah, that makes sense. Sorry, I thought I'd encountered someone who thought Watchmen and 300 were masterpieces of cinema rather than just being good fun.

I actually have a ton of faith in Snyder. Sure, he's never set the world on fire with his stuff, but he's been hired for his eye, which is spectacular. The Nolan crew put together the story, Snyder just has to make it visual, and it's hard to deny that Snyder can do visuals. (Oh and his casting has been stellar, as well.)

I will laugh my ass off if the opening moment of the film has Superman smashing (let's say) Mongul (or any random alien threat) in the face, then saying, "Haven't done that in a while."

Yeah, it'll never happen, but there's a small part of me that thinks Snyder might consider it.

Let's talk cast:

Clark Kent / Superman: Justin Timberlake

I am so not joking with this one. He has a great look (especially in glasses), could pull off Clark's farm-boy charm and the larger than life persona that surrounds Superman, is a very solid actor, and wouldn't look out of place in a dopey suit or the formfitting costume. The downside is that though he'd get the females into theaters, a lot of guys still see him as part of 'N Sync, which will prevent them from coming.

Lois Lane: Kate Winslet

Brilliant actress who'll bring the film much credibility. She plays her roles with depth and heart, and makes you believe she's that character. She'd bring a true balance to Lois, as well; she wouldn't be overly pushy, nor completely week in the knees upon seeing Superman. Dye her hair and cover the accent, and there you go. It should be said that she is a few years older than Justin, but I don't see that being a big issue. Who says Lois can't be older than Clark?

Zod: Jeffrey Dean Morgan

The perfect age, intensity, and charm needed to play the Kryptonian general. And personally, I'd like to see a Zod that's much more massive than Superman. I'll be the first to admit he's been in a lot of comic book movies, but each part has been so different.

Or...

Zod: Javier Bardem

Everything I said about Morgan applies here, except I think Bardem could play a Zod that's much more cold. Either way, I'd be happy.

Lex Luthor: Michael Douglas

A cold, ruthless business man? Yeah, I think Douglas has that nailed.

I am so not joking with this one. He has a great look (especially in glasses), could pull off Clark's farm-boy charm and the larger than life persona that surrounds Superman, is a very solid actor, and wouldn't look out of place in a dopey suit or the formfitting costume. The downside is that though he'd get the females into theaters, a lot of guys still see him as part of 'N Sync, which will prevent them from coming.

God help me, I can almost see this. I think Timberlake is still a a little young, but otherwise I'm ALMOST with you on this.

God help me, I can almost see this. I think Timberlake is still a a little young, but otherwise I'm ALMOST with you on this.

I can see this working as well.

Chances are, filming won't start until 2012, so by then Justin will be 31. Also remember that Christopher Reeve was only 25 while filming the first Superman movie. Granted, he looked older, but he was four years younger than Timberlake is now.

Superman - Jake Gyllenhaal

Can pull off the heroic and the nervous nerdy type.

Lois - Rachael McAdams

Confident and Sexy. Sure she was probably the weakest part of Sherlock Holmes, but she could definitely pull off Lois I think.

Zod - Gerard Butler

Probably not as good as JDM, but I wanted to add another option. I thought his part in Law Abiding Citizen showed a bit of range.

Superman - Sean Maher

This is my choice if they can't find an unknown. Christopher Reeve and Brandon Routh were both outstanding shouts, but if a name is needed, then I'll go with Simon Tam. Mid 30s, which is fine for Supes, and he could carry off the look without being too overtly well-known outside of geek circles.

Lois - Mila Kunis

Confident and Sexy. Looks younger than she is but has the right attributes and would be around 30 by 2012.

Zod - Jeffrey Dean Morgan

That's a damn good shout from Mike (much more so than Timberlake! :* ). He has both a charismatic and grizzled look and I'd like to see him play a CBM villain.

It’s a shame Routh will probably never return to the role. I thought he did pretty well with what he was given, and I’m sure he’s only grown as an actor since then.

I like Snyder, Goyer and Nolan, but I’m not all excited by this. I couldn’t even say why. Here's hoping they blow my expectations out of the water.