Watchmen *SPOILERS*

Missy

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The New York Times details the marketing plan for those 'Watchmen' parallel movies we've been hearing about.

A DVD is set to be released into stores five days after the movie arrives in theaters. The disc will contain 'Tales of the Black Freighter' as well as 'Under the Hood'. The 'Watchmen' movie itself would likely arrive on DVD four months after that, and an ultimate edition combining all three would follow.

'Freighter' would depict the comic-within-a-comic, that is read by a minor character throughout the graphic novel and runs parallel to the main story. The article reveals that director Zack Snyder had hoped to film the lurid pirate tale in the same style as '300', with live-action actors on virtual sets.

When the budget for that vision came in at $20 million, the decision was made to use traditional animation. Although the NYT article doesn't reveal it, it has been reported that '300' star Gerard Butler will do voice work for the movie.

"I thought the 'Black Freighter' story would never see the light of day," Snyder said. "The main picture is nearing three hours long and I know I have a fight on my hands just with that."

The article does not provide details about 'Under the Hood' other than to say it's been done documentary style. We do know that it draws on the back-page material of the comics, which presented the autobiography of the original Nite-Owl and will feature several segments.

Finally, the New York Times mentions the creation of "a dozen 22- to 26-minute Webisodes to help make the complex story easier for the uninitiated to digest. Called 'The Watchmen Motion Comic,' it will be a panel-by-panel slide show of the graphic novel narrated by an actor."

These webisodes will appear online, but its unclear which DVD packaging they might fit into.

http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=33490

I'm really excited for these, especially 'Under the Hood'.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Teaser Trailer:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/watchmen/

The name of the song is a remix of "The End is the Beginning of the End" by Smashing Pumpkins, the music video for this song features scenes from Batman & Robin since it was originally used for that film.

I don't know shit about this novel, but because of this trailer I am going to go pick it up, it looks like a fantastic film. Is it me or is one of the characters very much looking like an alternate version of Batman(with a villain looking like an alternate version of The Joker)?

Is it me or is one of the characters very much looking like an alternate version of Batman(with a villain looking like an alternate version of The Joker)?

You hit the nail on the head actually (well, he’s probably closer to The Question than Batman, but still). The Watchmen is very much a comic book about comic books, and a brilliant attempt at showcasing what can be done with the comic book medium. It’s something that I’m enjoying even more on my second read through, just because of all the little details I missed the first time through.

You hit the nail on the head actually (well, he’s probably closer to The Question than Batman, but still). The Watchmen is very much a comic book about comic books, and a brilliant attempt at showcasing what can be done with the comic book medium. It’s something that I’m enjoying even more on my second read through, just because of all the little details I missed the first time through.

Well the guy I'm talking about looks like a cross between Wildcat(at least the look in thr JLU episode)and Batman. And the scene with the Joker look a like, is actually just the purple outfit that Nicholsen wore and you only see the back of it.

The one your talking about who looks a lot like Question is the one with the white faceless man you see sitting on the roof top narrating the end of the trailer, right?

Is it me or is one of the characters very much looking like an alternate version of Batman(with a villain looking like an alternate version of The Joker)?

The first Nite Owl is based on The Blue Beetle

The second Nite Owl is based on Batman

Rorschach is based on The Question