Watchmen *SPOILERS*

Missy

Is it me or is one of the characters very much looking like an alternate version of Batman(with a villain looking like an alternate version of The Joker)?

You hit the nail on the head actually (well, he’s probably closer to The Question than Batman, but still). The Watchmen is very much a comic book about comic books, and a brilliant attempt at showcasing what can be done with the comic book medium. It’s something that I’m enjoying even more on my second read through, just because of all the little details I missed the first time through.

The first Nite Owl is based on The Blue Beetle

The second Nite Owl is based on Batman

Rorschach is based on The Question

Actually, the analogues are of Charlton heroes all the way through. The first Nite Owl is based on the Dan Garrett Beetle; the second is based on (pre-Crisis, pre-Giffen) Ted Kord.

That said, there's clearly a pre-Crisis Batman influence in there.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well the guy I'm talking about looks like a cross between Wildcat(at least the look in thr JLU episode)and Batman. And the scene with the Joker look a like, is actually just the purple outfit that Nicholsen wore and you only see the back of it.

The one your talking about who looks a lot like Question is the one with the white faceless man you see sitting on the roof top narrating the end of the trailer, right?

Yeah, I see what you’re saying now. I guess I just associate Rosarch with Batman more than what I do Nite-Owl (at least, outside of his design).

I liked Dr. Manhattan's look. If he looked like he did in the comic, he would look like a cartoon character.

Actually, that's what I don't like about him in the trailer... he looked twice as lifelike and realistic in the comic. In the movie, he looks like a bodybuilder.

dude the trailer in the dark night gave me chills, and the whole time my brother was asking what it was. I even heard other people in the theater ask what that was. DUde it shoulda had the tagline at the end, " who will watch the watchmen" that would have made it cooler.

• 3 weeks later...
'Watchman' actress Carla Gugino told MTV's Splash Page blog that the infamous encounter between her character and the Comedian (played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan) is brutal, necessary, and remains intact in Zack Snyder's new movie.

SPOILER WARNING: If you haven't read the graphic novel, Gugino talks about the pivotal scene and its repercussions, which is a dramatic linchpin of the story.

The scene in question appears in the second chapter of the book, in which the young Comedian corners the original Sally Jupiter in her dressing room and issues a violent beating before attempting to rape her.

"It was really brutal. It was brutal to shoot," Gugino said of the scene. "That was one of the things [director] Zack [snyder] said to me from the start: ‘I really want this to be incredibly brutal. It’s not a turn-on kind of story. It’s bad.’ It’s important that we did that. I think hopefully it will be really powerful."

The reverberations of the scene are felt throughout the story and factor into the resolution. Cutting or downplaying the scene was out of the question.

"It’s so informative of so many things thematically in the movie and certainly in the graphic novel, not only for this character but for the Comedian and ultimately [her daughter] Laurie," Gugino said. "Many things stem from that particular situation."

'Watchmen' opens in theaters next March.

http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=35159

Nikki Finke, in her Deadline Hollywood column, reports that a federal judge has denied a Warner Bros motion to dismiss 20th Century Fox's legal battle over the rights to develop, produce and distribute a film based on the graphic novel 'Watchmen'.

Fox had filed a suit on February 12th of this year, seeking to prevent Warner Bros from going forward with the project, even though production was well underway at that point. Warner had motioned to dismiss the lawsuit, which was based on an intricate chain of custody agreements dating back to 1986.

According to Finke, U.S. District Court Judge Gary Allen Feess agrees (at least initially) with Fox's claim. The studio could now seek an injunction against Warner Bros, which would obviously prove catastrophic for a movie that is this close to completion, and for which the stuido has already spent vast sums of money promoting.

The timing of Fox's lawsuit is likely intentional. Such claims are usually made when the studio is "all in," that is during or after the completion of production but before a film is released. At this point Warner is desparate to protect its investment, so the probability of a settlement with Fox is much more likely. Had Fox filed the suit a year earlier, Warner might have simply balked at moving forward with the film.

http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=35180

If this ends up screwing with the movie's release, I will never spend another dime on anything that would go to Fox. That's just petty.

If you really want to know about why they are suing, go read this article.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/business...amp;oref=slogin

From what it looks like, producer of the movie Lawrence Gordon was supposed to offer it to Fox anytime the project was changed(new writer, director, ect.) and didn't. He instead made a deal with Warner Brothers.

I don't know how anyone can keep this crap straight. According to the article Paramount also had a deal with Gordon over the movie.

Without spoiling anything, here's the basic plot: set in an alternate 1985, a group of retired superheroes investigate the death of a fallen hero. In the process, they uncover a deadly conspiracy.

There's much more to it than that, but saying more would ruin the book.

I'm almost tempted to tell you to wait until after the movie. There's no way the movie could live up to the novel, and that way you can (hopefully) enjoy the film on it own merits without sitting in the audience blinded by rage at all the stuff that got cut.

Still, it's impossible to overstate the importance and the artistry at work in that graphic novel. Everything you've ever heard about Watchmen is absolutely true, and I'm honestly envious of anyone who's going to sit down and read it for the first time.

I've probably read Watchmen at least fifty times, and I know everyone says this and it's a total cliche, but I really do come away with something new every time. It's infinitely layered, and on top of that, it's probably the best job of pure characterization that Moore's ever done, which for all of his talents, has not historically been his strong suit.

You have to read it first. I've read through 3 copies, and I never hesitate in picking it up again when it's time to replace one. I probably, no lie here, read it once a month. I've given it has a gift to ANYONE that has expressed the slightest interest in comics, and even some that haven't. I display all my comics in my house, but when someone wants to see one or is interested in just one, that's the book that gets grabbed. You must read it.

I agree that it's a must read, though I wouldn't put it on as high a level as most.

It's a favorite of mine for sure, just for the sheer characterization and the mythos that's created from all the side stories, but there are some nagging things that bothered me. The ending feels rushed, and is kind of a kick to the nads, considering the tone set forth previously.

Definitely give it a look before the movie comes out though, because it will make you really intrigued as to how they intend on translating some of the more unusual bits to film.