Y The Last Man

New Line has set D.J. Caruso to direct and Carl Ellsworth to write the comic book adaptation Y: The Last Man for producers Chris Bender, JC Spink, Mason Novick and David Goyer, reports Variety.

The project reteams Caruso and Ellsworth following their work for Paramount/DreamWorks on Disturbia.

The story centers on a mysterious plague killing nearly all the world's male mammals overnight. A magician who's the only survivor among this group and his male pet monkey set out to find what may have wiped out the male chromosomes.

The comic "Y: The Last Man" was created by Brian K. Vaughn and Pia Guerra and published by Vertigo.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I'm not sure how I feel about this.

I'm pretty damn excited, although like most non-superhero comic adaptations I think it would work better as a mini-series than a film. Still, the budget will come in hand for the "every guy in the world drops dead" montage.

Yeah, this could actually work... the story is divided into enough self-contained chapters that you could lop off a great deal of the sidetracks without losing any of the main plot. There aren't a ton of lead characters to introduce and flesh out, either, so they could really get into the kind of characterization that a story like this needs.

• 5 years later...