Jonah Hex

Dread

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not digging that poster. It looks too modern for a Western.

That's because Westerns don't sell anymore.

The poster needs to "trick" the mainstream audience into seeing it, otherwise we could end up with another Rocketeer situation, where the awesome and correctly-stylized poster didn't grab enough people and the film flopped.

Not digging that poster. It looks too modern for a Western.

Seriously, my excitement for this movie just dropped. A lot.

I agree. From that it feels like some space cowboy movie or some shit. I'll probably still see it, but not on opening day anymore, it'll be a "I'm going to the cinema, what's on? Hey, Jonah Hex. Ten minutes? Fuck it, I'll see that then."

They're obviously a marketing tool but posters haven't even been decent for the past 20 years (like comic covers).

I would never let a poster deter my excitement for a film. A trailer maybe because it's actually showing me pieces of the movie as opposed to a salaried photoshop pro's collage of the cast.

They're obviously a marketing tool but posters haven't even been decent for the past 20 years (like comic covers).

I would never let a poster deter my excitement for a film. A trailer maybe because it's actually showing me pieces of the movie as opposed to a salaried photoshop pro's collage of the cast.

I'd say there are some notable exceptions there. Personally movie poster-wise I've got a red Marv Sin City, a Brick and a Donnie Darko ltd edition on my walls.

sin_city_marv.jpg

brick_brendan.jpg

l_14218_0246578_ec10361b.jpg

As for comic book covers, I'm also sad that most are just poster art at this point as opposed to being related to the story, but again I think some of the work really stands out. I'm a huge fan of 100 bullets covers, they're generally amazing, and there are wouldn't be plenty of other covers I like if it wasn't for the way comic covers have evolved. DMZ is another example of that.

Again, I don't mean ALL of anything. But there has been a downslide to the point where an eye-catching poster or comic cover is a breath of rare fresh air rather than the norm. Or even something to strive for.

This is true.

I think one of the biggest indicators that the Jonah Hex poster isn't accurate to the film is that Megan Fox has a huge presence on it, but only appears for a few minutes in the film.

Trailer.

So... they're giving him a "supernatural" edge?

...well, that's certainly not reflective of the comics, but I can't say I'm entirely opposed to it.

EDIT:

Here's the official synopsis from WB:

In the Jimmy Hayward-directed film, Jonah Hex (Josh Brolin) is a scarred drifter and bounty hunter of last resort, a tough and stoic gunslinger who can track down anyone... and anything. Having survived death, Jonah's violent history is steeped in myth and legend, and has left him with one foot in the natural world and one on the "other side." His only human connection is with Leila (Megan Fox), whose life in a brothel has left her with scars of her own. But Jonah's past is about to catch up with him when the U.S. military makes him an offer he can't refuse: in exchange for his freedom from the warrants on his head, he must track down and stop the dangerous terrorist Quentin Turnbull (John Malkovich). But Turnbull, who is gathering an army and preparing to unleash Hell, is also Jonah's oldest enemy and will stop at nothing until Jonah is dead. Based on the legendary graphic novel, "Jonah Hex" is an epic adventure thriller about one man's personal quest for redemption against the vast canvas of the battle between good and evil.

To me, posters are the same as comic covers. They are just to get people to look at it and get people interested, but looking too closely reveals it's not accurate to the product. You know how many comic books I bought based on the cover to find out it was different to what actually happened?

Remember the Pretty Woman poster? They used a body double because her chicken legs wouldn't get people to look at the poster.

1967.jpg