Cloverfield

Personally, I thought it sucked. In an interview Abrams said he wanted to make a great monster movie, an equivolent of Godzilla. The only problem was this didn't come off as a monster movie, but a love story with a monster in the background. I don't care that Rob fucked Beth, but then she shows up with another guy, then he decides to go rescue her when the attack happens. Godzilla worked because the whole movie was focused on the monster, as campy as it was. Also the movie barely runs over 70 minutes, it could have used more time. I understand some people like the camera concept, but I didn't.

I hope the whole viral campaign backfires on them. Sure, guys like us who post and discuss movies online knew all about the websites linked to the movie, but the average person doesn't. Only one of my friends knew what this movie was about, while the rest were clueless as the tv spots don't give anything away.

1/5

I'll have to look what else comes out in the next two weeks, as I'd hate for this to be the last movie I see before heading back overseas.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With still a day to go in the four-day Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday weekend, Paramount's Cloverfield has already broken two January records. Earning an estimated $41 million from Friday to Sunday in 3,411 theaters, the J.J. Abrams-produced monster movie has surpassed the previous all-time 3-day January weekend record held by "Star Wars: Special Edition" ($35.9 million in 1997). With the $41 million, the movie also has passed up in three days the previous four-day Martin Luther King, Jr. weekend record set by Black Hawk Down ($33.6 million) in 2002. Cloverfield was made for just $25 million.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41101

I think that for a movie that was only about 74 minutes, it wouldn't have killed them to explain the monster with a 10-20 minute segment, instead of forcing you to go to all the websites to find out where the monster's from.

Why?

I'm glad there was no explanation. I'm so sick and tired of explaining everything. It is the first time that NY has been devastated in a film in ages and it was done by a monster who looked fucking cool. Space creature, ocean creature, government experiment gone wrong, white trash family. Take your pick.

The one big thing that did irk me was that all the viral info ended up being more or less irrelevent to the film. There was a Slusho t-shirt, but that was about it; Jamie was in about half a frame, and not even mentioned by name; no mention of Targruato, not even in passing.

Even assuming that there's a sequel on the way (and there would pretty much have to be one), it still leaves a lot of people feeling a bit betrayed for expending all of the effort.

I think that for a movie that was only about 74 minutes, it wouldn't have killed them to explain the monster with a 10-20 minute segment, instead of forcing you to go to all the websites to find out where the monster's from.

Why?

I'm glad there was no explanation. I'm so sick and tired of explaining everything. It is the first time that NY has been devastated in a film in ages and it was done by a monster who looked fucking cool. Space creature, ocean creature, government experiment gone wrong, white trash family. Take your pick.

The websites and viral campaing led you to believe the oil drilling was a coverup as the Japanese company was unearthing the creature from the depths of the ocean. If they go to the trouble of putting all the clues out on the internet, like the whistleblowers notes, why not include it in the movie? Especially since the movie was short enough as it was, so it wouldn't have added to much time. Hell, one of the army guys could have filled them in.

How often does viral marketing actually mean anything? Besides, this is not the team to go with if you want meaningful viral marketing. LOST had three websites, two hotlines, a novel, etc and nothing meant diddly.

I don't want to see a sequel because it will be the same shit all over again: military team goes in to see what happened and gets hunted by the monster, blah blah blah. Even though the numbers call for it.

Still, it was great to see that the biggest hyped film since Blair Witch actualy lived up to the hype.

At least with LOST we know pretty much the exact date that all of the questions will be answered. There was nothing of the sort here. Not even hints.

It literally would have taken three seconds for Rob to mention Targruato, is all.

EDIT: And to be fair, the Lost Experience revealed an assload of information about the show.

I still enjoyed it, definately, and they obviously couldn't have made the movie assuming everyone knew all of the viral information, but there's little reason they couldn't have put in a few extra details for the people that expended the effort.

I caught it but didn't think much of it. I still don't think anything fell, or at least I didn't see anything fall but I saw the water rise. To me it looked like the monster coming out of the water, not something falling in.

I didn't stay after the credits, I've got to start doing that...

The director confirmed that it's something crashing in.

As for the post-credits.

A mumbled voice message is played. When reversed, it's very clearly someone (Rob?) saying "it's still alive."

Cloverfield Monster Features:

* 70 points of articulation and incredible life-like detail

* Authentic sound

* 14” tall

* 10 parasites

* Two interchangeable heads

* Statue of Liberty head accessory

* Special Cloverfield collector’s edition packaging

In conjunction with the launch of the highly anticipated CLOVERFIELD movie release, Hasbro, in a partnership with Bad Robot and Paramount Pictures, has produced a super-articulated and highly detailed limited collector’s edition Cloverfield Monster.

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBra...63&ID=21030

It's $99.00

For that price it better be able to destroy a small neighborhood.

* Authentic sound

* 14” tall

* 10 parasites

In conjunction with the launch of the highly anticipated CLOVERFIELD movie release, Hasbro, in a partnership with Bad Robot and Paramount Pictures, has produced a super-articulated and highly detailed limited collector’s edition Cloverfield Monster.

It's $99.00

No pic? :(

* Authentic sound

* 14” tall

* 10 parasites

It's $99.00

No pic? :(

I'm sure they aren't allowed to show it for a week or so after the movie came out.

At least with LOST we know pretty much the exact date that all of the questions will be answered. There was nothing of the sort here. Not even hints.

It literally would have taken three seconds for Rob to mention Targruato, is all.

EDIT: And to be fair, the Lost Experience revealed an assload of information about the show.

That's what I was getting at. Considering all the back story available on the viral sites alongside the manga, why not have it in the movie for the people who knew nothing of the online information? The movie could have started out with a short normal camera segment with the Targruato company before switching to the hand held camera at the party.

That's what I was getting at. Considering all the back story available on the viral sites alongside the manga, why not have it in the movie for the people who knew nothing of the online information? The movie could have started out with a short normal camera segment with the Targruato company before switching to the hand held camera at the party.

See, for me. That's a copout and directly affects the entire film whether it's a prologue or an epilogue. Cloverfield is not a film, it's evidence and any overt cinematics ruins that for me.