Paying for podcasts?

Missy

Paying for podcasts?  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Don't worry! This question isn't being asked because I'm about to start charging for Earth-2.net: The Show and World's Finest Podcast; I'm simply curious to see what people would pay for podcasts that were at least one hour long.

When it comes to the monthly pass option, assume that you'll receive at least three episodes per week, with each one clocking in at over 60 minutes.

For three episodes a week, I could see $10 a month actually (with maybe a $1 an episode option). BUT, they would need to remain ad-free and be of very high production quatlity. They would also have to offer things that weren't easily available for free elsewhere.

Because of the medium, I accept that podcasting isn't a money-making venture at this time. But this topic isn't about when / if podcasts will become profitable; it's about what podcasts are worth to you. I'm obviously seeing this from the other side; I'm seeing this as someone who knows how much time and effort goes into each episode. So to see people say that they wouldn't even pay a quarter for at least 60 minutes of entertainment saddens and honestly angers me a little.

Again, let me reiterate that this goes beyond Earth-2.net: The Show and World's Finest Podcast. I'm looking at the medium as a whole. Your opinions aren't new. The majority of podcast listeners agree with you. Most would stop downloading shows they love if a small fee were charged. And I just don't get that. The unwillingness to pay 0.25¢ (one-quarter the price of a song on iTunes) for entertainment that's at least 17 times longer than the average song (3:30) on iTunes literally blows my mind.

So podcasters don't deserve to get paid for their time and effort because shows are generally only listened to once? What about satellite radio DJs? Their shows are only listened to once (in fact most people only hear portions of shows), yet there's a monthly fee.

Is the technology the same as satellite radio? No, but podcasters have an overhead and must update their own tech: computers, mics, websites, etc. And that doesn't take into account hosting fees and man-hours.

That said, please answer the question: do podcasters deserve to be paid for their time and effort? That and what podcasts are worth are the central issues here.

That said, please answer the question: do podcasters deserve to be paid for their time and effort?

This a very different question from "Would you pay for a podcast?" The answer to this question is no. There are way too many variables for this to be even close to yes. I'm not saying that all don't, but Joe Average with a mic doesn't.

It's the same question, because by paying for a podcast you're saying two things:

01. I enjoy your show enough to pay for it, and...

02. ... you're doing such a fine job, I want you to keep doing it (RE: you deserve to be paid for it).

When / If there are small fees for podcasts, the market will decide which podcasters "deserve" to be paid and which ones don't. It will boil down to quality, marketing, audience, etc.

I respect the amount of work that goes into a podcast, but I'd never pay for one.

I guess I consider them to be like TV shows, something I’ll watch/listen to for free. If the people behind the podcast want to use advertisements to get a bit of money for their effort, I’d be fine with that, but actually paying for them? I doubt I’d be interested.

I'm a big fan of the 1-up podcasts, and they will often split up segments with an advertisement for a game or another podcast. I’m perfectly fine with that. If the earth-2 podcasts ever used an advertisement or two to transition between one segment to another, it wouldn’t bother me either.

Ok.

seeing that the brunt of podcasts are free, the thought of paying for one doesn't even cross my mind. I don't have the disposable income to pay for a podcast. It's partially why i enjoy the free entertainment. I do write the podcaster and let them know I appreciate their work (hence, the reason for me even knowing Yoda in any way).

But, if there was a paradigm shift and podcasts cost 25 cents each. I'd be a lot more selective in what I listen to but I'd still pay for some, yeah.

Ads are cool with me. Especially if they're relevant. If I'm listening to E2 and I'm told where to go to get feminine hygiene products, I'm bound to get real bored real quick. Then again, Michael Butler at the Rock and Roll Geek Show is sponsored by Mobil Motor Oil and he seems to be doing alright.

Some podcasts I listen to have extra content for $5/$10 per month. I don't partake but if that helps them keep going I'm all for it.

In my original statement I never meant to upset you in any way, Yoda. Of course the podcaster's time, effort, hosting costs and equipment are worth paying for, it's just that the infrastructure doesn't support that at this time. Look at Ricky Gervais' podcast. He charged for it from the get go and that didn't last long. A couple of guys sitting around a table telling jokes doesn't constitute a payment for me unless those guys are Patton Oswalt, Bill Hicks and Mitch Hedberg. Funnily enough, E2 the Show would be in that group I'd still pay for. Although I'd hope my involvement would get me a free subscription (or at least a staff discount!)

:laugh:

For someone like me who is always looking for more content 5 bucks for a monthly pass for consistent shit wouldn't be too crazy. But I still don't know if I would pay.

Couple edits:

1. Commercials are TOTALLY ok with me. 1UP does relevant ads twice in every podcast and it's not an issue at all.

2. What about someone with me who just by sheer nature of how much I download could end up paying money for something that turns out sucking? The great thing about free podcasting is that it allows someone with the ability to have a good show to build up a fan base. If you start charging, people IMMEDIATELY become more cautious and less likely to check out new things. Even if it's only 25 cents people are going to be less likely to part with that money for the risk of something turning out to be crap. That happens to me 2 out of 3 new podcasts I try. If I had to dish out money for each one, I would probably just stick with what I knew was good and never add shows. The benefit of the medium being free is that if I download something and it's not for me, no harm done.

3. What spawned this question? I know it's not cause you have plans for doing it but I'm curious.