Thor

JackFetch

Matthew Vaughn to Direct Thor

Source: Variety

August 10, 2007

Marvel Studios is setting Matthew Vaughn to direct Thor, based on the Marvel Comics character. Marvel is aiming for a pre-strike production start this winter.

Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend) did the adaptation of the comic book franchise that launched in 1962. Thor is a blonde-tressed, hammer-wielding hero who's sent to Earth to protect mankind.

Vaughn's deal is closing just as Paramount releases the Vaughn-directed Stardust today.

Thor marks Vaughn's second effort at a superhero pic. He was attached to direct X-Men: The Last Stand before bowing out for personal reasons. Vaughn, who produced the Guy Ritchie-directed films Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch, made his directing debut with the Daniel Craig starrer Layer Cake.

I wonder how X-men: The Last Stand would have been different if he had stuck around.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mythology fan in me takes exception to Thor being labelled a Marvel charaater!! Granted, I know he has been adapted by Marvel, but it just reads oddly!

I wonder how well a CBM based upon a god can fare. Granted, the Silver Surfer's been done respectfully, but a god? Hmmmmm

Several comic book news websites are reporting that WWE superstar Triple H being considered for the lead role in upcoming "Thor" movie. The Marvel Comics superhero is based on the mythological god of thunder and war.

Unfortunately for Triple H, there is one major obstacle in his way. Director Matthew Vaughn is not happy that a pro wrestler is being considered for the lead role in his biggest project to date. He addressed the rumor of Triple H's involvement in a recent interview. "I'll give you two reasons I dont put much stock in the otherwise very interesting rumor - "Chris" and "Benoit". With wrestling taking its biggest PR hit ever, I would be incredibly surprised if Marvel were to take that big of a risk with Thor."

The Thor character is a comic book superhero and the mythological god of thunder and war. The movie is scheduled for a 2009 release. It is being produced by Marvel Entertainment and will be distributed by Paramount Pictures.

What an asshole. Wrestling is recovering from the tragedy, and by the time this movie comes out, the general public will have forgotten it moving on to other scandals.

• 3 weeks later...
ComingSoon.net got a chance to talk to Kevin McKidd, star of NBC's new time travel show "Journeyman," who was asked about the rumors that he is up for the title role in Marvel Studios' Thor movie. Here's what he said:

It is semi true. I didn't know about it either until I heard the rumors. I called my agent and the last I heard was I think they want to go with somebody much younger, a nineteen or twenty year old for that role. Although they may be switching their sights, the other main male character in that movie I think I am in consideration for. It certainly is by no means in the bag. To be honest until I read a script I don't really know so this is all still information coming out. It could be fun, but it depends on what is on the page. It all starts and finishes with the script.

I saw Journeyman, and there is no way he could be Thor, so I don't get why people thought he was.

• 1 month later...
Vaughn on Thor Script & Budget

The Guardian has posted a piece written by director Matthew Vaughn (Stardust, Layer Cake), in which he talks about the Thor script and budget. Here are several clips:

Afterwards, we drove home, where I greeted screenwriter Mark Protosevich as a guest.

In truth, I did not treat him very well as I forced him to work for the whole weekend - he is the writer on Thor, my next film, which I am directing with Marvel. The weekend was a success - we finished the script and celebrated with an '88 Palmer, and I was feeling good and ready to tackle the necessary evil of film promotion.

My phone has just rung. Marvel loves the script. The only problem is that it has been costed at $300m and they ask how I am going to reduce it by $150m. I think I prefer being asked what it's like working with De Niro.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6386

• 1 month later...
Stardust director Matthew Vaughn told the Daily Mail that he wants to shoot comic book adaptation Thor at home in the UK.

"We have the A-list actors, designers, cinematographers and crew in Britain, so there's no need to make 'Thor' among all that madness in Los Angeles," he said.

The newspaper added that, because of the current writers strike in the US, Thor would not start filming until the end of next year.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6536

Stardust director Matthew Vaughn told the Daily Mail that he wants to shoot comic book adaptation Thor at home in the UK.

"We have the A-list actors, designers, cinematographers and crew in Britain, so there's no need to make 'Thor' among all that madness in Los Angeles," he said.

The newspaper added that, because of the current writers strike in the US, Thor would not start filming until the end of next year.

Wouldn't it cost more with the strength of the euro?

I think he just hates Hollywood.

Well that makes sense considering he's a director. That's like becoming a police officer but you hate cops.

Well that makes sense considering he's a director. That's like becoming a police officer but you hate cops.

He's not American though. He didn't set out to make Hollywood movies. Exactly the reason he shouldn't do Thor if you ask me.

• 4 weeks later...
The Chicago Tribune spoke to Thor screenwriter Mark Protosevich about the big screen adaptation:

"That project is as much a passion project for me as 'I Am Legend,'" he said. "I was a comic book kid. Thor was my absolute favorite."

Once the writers' strike is over, production can start and Protosevich says audiences will be "pleasantly surprised" by this interpretation of the character. It's much more rooted in the Norse roots of the character, he says.

"There used to be a segment in the Thor comics called 'Tales of Asgard' -- and it's much more akin to that," he said. "It really is set in that world. It does deal with Earth. The primary focus we're taking on it is really all about the Norse myths."

I just lost interest in this one. The whole Asgard thing is boring to me. I want him on Earth kicking ass, not on Asgard fighting other non mortals.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Empire Online talked to director Matthew Vaughn (Stardust) about the status of Marvel Studios's Thor adaptation. Here's a clip:

"We're in a holding pattern at the moment," he said. "It"s up to Marvel, they have to decide if they want to make the movie and then we take it from there."

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6899

The NOrse thing is far better than an earth thing as far as I'm concerned. I don' want anymore fish out of water Hercules in New York bullshit.

Dude, badly dubbed Arnold wandering around Manhattan, trying to act and failing quite spectacularly at it, is teh awesome.