Thor

JackFetch

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard rumors that the Asgardians will be a highly advanced race seen as gods, rather than actual gods.

That's not a rumor. That's actually what they're doing. Though it could be argued that at the point of "advancement" that the Asgardians are at, the difference between "sci-fi alien being" and "god" is irrelevant.

OK, so they know how to have fun with the concept then. This looks better and better.

I was watching that fight scene and initially thinking "Oh this is sloppy, couldn't they get a guy in to choreograph this?". Then I realised how utterly spoiled we are with insane unrealistic fights, and how unemotional those things are. I'm much happier that Thor is a brawler instead of some hammer-wielding Wu-shu master.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing this Monday morning it looks like. Awesome that we get bank holiday previews, although I made sure to book my ticket just in case it's full. Doubt it somehow, but I don't want to take chances, and the cinema I'm going to is usually pretty damn busy. Lots of kids to distract during the easter holidays.

It was good. It's another good script for a Marvel film, there's a great mix of comedy and seriousness. There are moments when the clash between our world and Asgard looks insane, but they actually play it up when possible. I liked the politics of Asgard, I liked Thor and his supports cast on earth and I especially liked Loki, who was played very well, he's going to be an interesting foe going forward in The Avengers.

It was a little directionless at times, but really I appreciated the shift from everything we've come to expect in Superhero films. Thor isn't morally like Superman, and he wasn't given his gifts as a result of an accident or scientific experiment. He's the most unique comic book hero we've seen on film so far.

It's worth it all just for the scene where Thor walking into a pet shop and asks for a horse. "We don't have a horse, only dogs, cats, parrots..."

"Well, bring me one of those large enough to ride!"

Agree with everything you've written Stav, Loki was fantastic in it. Wish the studio was promoting more of the Asgard stuff, which looked amazing in all of the movie. The sheer size of it made Thor, et al look small, but also big at the same time. Chris Hemsworth was ok, he's absolutely massive and played the reckless impatient heir to the throne really well. Hopkins surprised me as Odin, I wasn't expecting much from him and I thought he really nailed it. Lots of little references to the other movies, which we've come to expect.

I loved that spoiler bit in the movie too. Also thought the end of credits easter egg was the best Marvel one yet.

3.5/5 stars

Forgot to say I really loved all the ways they used mjolnir in the fight scenes, give Thor different types of abilities.

Edited by MaxPower

I'm about to watch it ...fingers crossed

Edit: Good movie, but

why are the Warriors Three so damn useless in a fight?

I thought they did ok against the Frost giants, until the numbers really stacked up against them. On Earth, I just assumed they lost some of their powers? Or was that just Thor?

Just got back from seeing Thor with the family. I liked it, but it wasn't quite as zomg awesome for me as the Iron Man films, and I don't think I'm going to go out of my way to see it again in theatres. It had a lot of good bits, the beginning and the end especially, but it kind of sagged in the middle.

The entire Asgardian cast were pretty badass, and any bits with Thor being new to Earth and the battle scenes were pretty damn awesome. Also, major props to Heimdall and all the badassery. Lots of humor. It just seemed to be running out of steam towards the middle, though. To quote my sister, Chris Hemsworth was "so hot I'd like to bake cookies on him", though I thought Loki looked good in Earth clothes.

Also, that after-credits bit? LOVE IT. Fuck yeah Infinity Gem!