JLA movie news

Missy

It's been my experience that movies don't turn out so well if their trailers say very little about the actual plot. All we've seen is the League coming together with copious amounts of humor. The way it's been presented, it's pretty much the third film of a trilogy more than anything else, and these trailers want you to watch the movie primarily based on that.

Visually it's great. The lights all shine and pop off the screen. It might be a fun film to watch. But the odds of this being anywhere near as good as Wonder Woman are too stacked against it. 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't reckoned with Flash's costume and am still a little bothered with Cyborg's inclusion in this modern JL thing (like, why not do it back in the old continuity when the character had put his dues in and deserved it instead of right after becoming Cyborg?), but that looks awesome to me.

• 1 month later...

It sounds like it' easily the "least bad" of the Snyder DC films, and if you're in a generous mood it's a fun watch. If you're not feeling generous it's a mess down the street of Suicide Squad.

I'm not shook tbh. Not that I needed this film to be great or even good, if the characters are at all likable I'll be fine watching it over a 3 hour sad fest.

It's not a bad movie. 90% of the funny stuff is in the trailers. There is a lot of fan service.

Spoiler

There is one shot of a Green Lantern which was pretty cool. The cgi mustache scenes were easy to spot and looked awful. Aquaman doesn't come off as cool as he does in the trailers. 

The cgi wasn't very good. Every underwater scene made everyone's face look like plastic. Cyborg just looks fake. Flash's powers seemed inconsistent because the effects made it seem like he was moving at different speeds depending on the scene. 

The fighting was awesome. Real weight behind the punches and headbutts. I liked Steppenwolf as someone they can fight without holding back but never really understood what he was doing.

Spoiler

He was transforming the world so he could end it, but was doing it for Darkseid?  

Spoiler

Superman was the best part of the movie. They made him as powerful as he should be. 

Enjoyed it. The fight scenes were really good, the characters were fun*, and it provides a good springboard for the DCEU going forward.

Spoiler

*this is easily the best Superman portrayal in the DCEU, as they're finally letting Cavill's natural charisma shine through

My cons are that it's nowhere near as bold as it could've been with such huge stakes and characters, the seams between scenes and mandated additions are really visible, and the villain is not that interesting.

Overall, it was good but not great. I've said that about all of them (though I'm still a big fan of BVS). They could and should be better, but I still enjoy what we've been getting.

Well, it is a movie.  But at some point a thought popped into my head.  Marvel did this already.  Like this felt like a mid-to-low tier Marvel movie.   But I'd rather have this than the borefest that was BvS.

And the CGI is horrible.

Spoiler

But my main thing is the Superman of it all.  His involvement in the movie made everything unnecessary.  Team forms, gets ass kicked, Jesus Superman, he kicks their ass, bad guy kicks their ass somemore, Superman, success!    I get the 'World Needs Superman' of it all, but shouldn't the world need the others as well?

Granted, this may be my dislike of all things Superman that are not Dean Cain showing thru.

it wasnt bad but.. 

A) the CGI 'tash was terrible 

B) Snyder's wonder woman ass shots (my wife made a few comments)

C) the Flash was fun but I just didn't see Barry I saw someone else that ran fast but not Barry. not even Wally really which was a bummer as Flash is my DC character

oh well here's hoping 2 will be better still 

Been thinking about it for the past day...

Honestly it's not great. It watched very rushed, and halfway through the film it doesn't seem like the same universe as the last two Snyder movies. There's a hard thematic retcon that the movie hinges on which it can't justify, and simultaneously makes BvS worse. Whatever Snyder had been leading up to in the past few years, if this was the conclusion it's not cohesive...

...but I didn't care. I had fun where I could find it. The best thing about the movie is that the team is a team, and there's just enough shared screen-time that no one feels shortchanged or overemphasized. The biggest negatives of the movie are Steppenwolf, much of the effects, some tonal imbalance and the film's pat ending. It should've been longer. But there are some cool shots and it gets more exciting halfway through.

Spoiler

Once Superman is brought back to life the movie ramps up for me. I thought the way he came back was hilariously macabre and ridiculous, way more than it needed to, but Henry Cavill finally got to be the traditional Superman I always knew he could nail. The fight with him against the Justice League was perfect, and he had some great moments at the end. Wish there was more interaction between him and the League shown. The mustache...oh it is absoLUTELY noticeable. It's virtually present in all of his scenes, the only time I didn't think it looked there was in the JL fight sequence. The effect is lame, but I think it can be forgiven.  

I liked Cyborg the best of the new characters. He felt like he came right off the New Teen Titans pages. People may find him to be morose, but that's more in character than the cartoon version. Of all the media portrayals, this felt the closest to the comics, and the most accurate DCEU hero. Wonder Woman was the best all the way through. Batffleck still doesn't do it for me, although he's written better here, and I really liked JK as Gordon. I found Flash to be annoying, and his "humor" is the clearest response to the MCU with his jittery non-sequiturs. He's almost exactly like Lex Luthor in BvS. Aquaman is fine, but probably gets the least to do comparatively. 

This is't a great or even good film, but at this point how much are people going to care? It's fun, never boring, and the characters are all mostly on point where you're on their side. It's around the Suicide Squad levels of comparison, but better focused I think, which puts it about third ranked of all the DCEU films, under Wonder Woman and Man of Steel.  

I thought it was great. Things looked great except for Cyborg. Fun moments throughout. It didn't hang together as a proper film, but basically none of these superhero movies do. I have no complaints otherwise. Had a lot of fun.

There was a CGI mustache?

Also: fewer things will be more surreal than seeing the Jack Kirby credit for creating the Fourth World at the end of a massive blockbuster. Amazing.

Loved it! I clapped with pure joy at so many scenes, sat upright at the Green Lantern tease, nearly jumped out of my seat at the end-credit teaser, was overjoyed to see the post-resurrection fight, and smiled from ear to ear at the mid-credit sequence.

Cyborg and a lot of the CGI looks rough, the mustache thing is noticeable but it's not awful, Steppenwolf's motivation is Generic Bad Guy 101, but I could not care less. I will be seeing this again, possibly as early as tomorrow.

That moment when Clark turned his head while Barry was running at top-speed made several people in the theater (including myself) yell "DAMN!"