The Master

JLA movie news

1 hour ago, Dread said:

That might be the best moment in comics movie history. 

It's the most badass Superman moment in media since his "World made of Cardboard" speech in the JLU series finale

12 hours ago, Dread said:

Don't be ridiculous. 300 million dollars in 5 days is doing pretty well.

A sub 100 million opening is an abject disaster for this movie. Really anything under 130 was going to be a problem. I sincerely doubt a Justice League 2 ever gets made, and now fully expect some kinda half assed reboot where they keep Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman and shit can everything else.

I don't pretend to know the schematics of tracking a blockbuster. The facts are thusly: 

On the one hand, the initial weekend gross was definitively lower than anticipated, and there have been talks about WB taking a bath because of it.

On the other hand, none of the DCEU films have outright bombed, and although none have grossed a billion, up 'til now they've all been one of the top-ten highest grossing movies of their respective years. 

JL's been out for about a week and has made its money back. It'll need to do more than double to beat Man of Steel's total gross. It'll probably be fine, but it's a fact that the numbers are lower than most people expected.

On 11/23/2017 at 12:44 PM, Donomark said:

JL's been out for about a week and has made its money back. 

Don't forget about it's advertising budget. I don't think it's going to lose a lot, but I don't think it's going to make a lot either. WB is going to have sit down and decide how they want to move forward with the franchise. I have no doubt they will keep going, but I think they are going to reset and go in a different direction. Maybe not a full reboot, but an overall change in tone and direction. I think we are going to lose Ben Afflec as Batman. He doesn't seem happy in the role anymore if rumors are to be believed. 

Saw it today. Liked it, didn’t love it. A lot of the set up stuff was rough, but after Superman hit the scene, it was fantastic. Not a fan of Barry, especially given that we’ve seen his story done so well recently on TV. But, overall, it felt like a big step in the right direction, especially in the Superman Department  

That said, I saw it in an empty theatre with my wife, literally just the two of us. So, I’m not sure word of mouth is great. 

I do have to mention one huge mark out moment:

Booyah! from Cyborg had me freaking out.

On November 23, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Donomark said:

I don't pretend to know the schematics of tracking a blockbuster. The facts are thusly: 

On the one hand, the initial weekend gross was definitively lower than anticipated, and there have been talks about WB taking a bath because of it.

On the other hand, none of the DCEU films have outright bombed, and although none have grossed a billion, up 'til now they've all been one of the top-ten highest grossing movies of their respective years. 

JL's been out for about a week and has made its money back. It'll need to do more than double to beat Man of Steel's total gross. It'll probably be fine, but it's a fact that the numbers are lower than most people expected.

It hasn't made its money back. There is a studio/theater split on that revenue. Remember the stories about Disney using Last Jedi to strong arm theaters in order to get a better percentage?

I watched it last night.

Where is the Suicide Squad? Are they playing XBox somewhere? What could possibly be more important right now than stopping Steppenwolf?

Granted, they may not get along well with the heroes, but when facing down the armies of Apocalypse you need all the help you can get.

I think they scrapped Suicide Squad being in the same universe. At the very least they are distancing the Justice League universe from it.